• Recent Article Comments

Zogman

Trolling for Walleye During Summer

​Good read! Thanks for posting. Go to last post

Zogman 07-19-2018 08:06 PM
    KDM

How to Grow a Garden with Fish Guts

Gardening with fish scraps or liquefied fish works real well in areas where there are no skunks,... Go to last post

KDM 06-23-2018 10:32 AM
    PrairieGhost

Habitat loss = deer/pheasant drop

When people were jumping on the Game and Fish for giving to many license a few years ago I pointed... Go to last post

PrairieGhost 06-15-2018 03:12 PM
  • Articles

Article Preview

THE MONO “LOOP TRICK” FOR PLANER BOARDS.

Article Preview

Jig Tips for Walleye

By Jason Mitchell

The incredible, edible jig. Walleye anglers love jigs because not only are jigs fun to fish but this presentation is also extremely versatile. All season, any season, chances are you can use a jig presentation in some fashion to catch fish. If you were to poll a hundred walleye anglers, there is a good ...
    Article Preview

CRICK-FISHING 101

by Joel Nelson

I grew up next to two “cricks,” one of them being closer to a trickle, the other maybe more appropriately named a creek. The two eventually joined, but no matter where we fished along them, the experienced was a hands-on activity. Worms were dug, grasshoppers ...
    Article Preview

Patterns That Find Late Summer Walleye

by Cory Schmidt

You have to admire the optimism of statements like, “There’s no such thing as a bad time to go fishing,” even if it’s not necessarily accurate in the sense of fantastic versus difficult times to catch walleyes.

I appreciate the opportunity to fish for the palliative effects of the experience. But I’m mostly here to catch fish, and August walleye fishing comes with challenges. In my guiding days years ago, the August calendar always filled in with folks who subscribed to the notion that hot, late-summer weather and biting bugs somehow translated to biting ...
    Article Preview

WALLEYES NOT BITING FOR YOU? AL LINDNER OFFERS 3 CAN’T-MISS TIPS

by Al Lindner

Walleyes in the wrong place and not biting what they should be this summer? You’re not alone! But fear not, Al Linder is here to share three can’t-miss tactics to put ‘eyes into your boat – and without live bait.

“Talking to the guides and a lot of the people we know all over the Midwest, everybody has said this has been the strangest year any of us have ever seen for ...
    Article Preview

ENJOY THE CHASE

by Joel Nelson

I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to write about a recent trip I had to Northern Wisconsin, where I caught zero fish, and had an absolute blast doing it. I know, it sounds odd stated like that. Sunset and scenery pics must mean the fishing ...
    Article Preview

AN EVENING FISH

by Joel Nelson

Summer in the northern states is just this incredible phenomenon. It cannot come soon enough, so immediately upon arrival we bask in its glory. June for me is one of the fishiest months of the year and always goes by too quickly. So we do our best to keep ...
    Article Preview

Stocking of North Dakota waters rated as successful

• DOUG LEIER N.D. Game and Fish Department

At the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, we often talk about how the weather at various stages of the spring and summer influences upland game reproduction for the year.

On the flip side, weather also can influence fish production, and this year ...
    Article Preview

Stocking waters with fish a dedicated process

There’s more than meets the eye when it comes to stocking a new lake for fishing. Just having water doesn’t equate to having fish, or being able to sustain or grow a population of fish.
    North Dakota Game and Fish Department

There’s more than meets the ...
    Article Preview

Trolling for Walleye During Summer

by Dan Johnson

Trolling for walleye is one of the most effective ways to find and trigger them in July and August. From the Canadian Shield to big rivers, prairie potholes, and the Great Lakes, pulling a variety of presentations helps cover water in search of active, catchable fish at a time when walleyes are scattered and forage is abundant.

Many top guides and tournament competitors troll to put fish in the boat when the chips are down. Often, their systems are variations of popular trolling methods modified to best fit their favorite fisheries, and tweaked to match the conditions and mood of the fish.

Saginaw Strategies
    Former In-Fisherman PWT champion and walleye expert Mark Martin of Twin Lake, Michigan, ...
    Article Preview

Late Summer Trolling for Walleye

By Jason Mitchell

Have often heard not to fish memories. When I look back however over my own fishing career, some of my greatest fishing memories involved trolling deep diving crankbaits over deep water. So many situations from mid-summer on where traditional live bait locations and tactics just got tougher. Situations where big fish were difficult to find until we ...
    Article Preview

WI-FI ONBOARD - HOW CONNECTIVITY IS IMPROVING FISHING SUCCESS

Increasingly, our entire world is becoming wireless, from speakers that can order a pizza by simply asking for one, to Smart Home thermostat devices that can detect your presence to crank up the A/C a bit. While some may argue ...
    Article Preview

TOP-SECRET NEW NEKO HOOKS KEY IN WHEELER’S TOP-10 FINISH IN OAHE TOURNEY

In a Bassmaster tournament in which fish were hard to find, they were even harder to keep hooked. Angler after angler told tales of woe on the weigh-in stage of feisty, hard-fighting Lake Oahe smallmouth coming unbuttoned before coming in the boat. ...
    Article Preview

BRP ACQUIRES ALUMACRAFT AND CREATES A NEW MARINE GROUP

BRP announced today the creation of the Marine Group with the acquisition of Alumacraft Boat, the premier private North American manufacturer of aluminum fishing boats, based in St. Peter, MN.

By solidifying its position ...
    Article Preview

WALLEYE SPINNER FISHING - PRIME TIME BASICS

by Joel Nelson

Walleyes are on a serious chew right now in most of the local lakes you fish. Sure, there are lulls in activity and certain days are better than others, but you couldn’t pick a better time to wet a line. An exceeding demand for bait stretches the available supply as most lake ...
    Article Preview

How to Grow a Garden with Fish Guts

Save money on fertilizer and use the scraps from your catch in your vegetable garden

BY WILL BRANTLEY

Miracle Grow: Watch your garden blossom with fish-scrap fertilizer.
    The Voorhes

You ...
    Article Preview

Cool Info For Hot-Weather Walleyes

by Dan Johnson

In many lakes, post-spawn walleyes go from one structural sweet spot to another en route to their summer range. (Photo by Ron Sinfelt)

Here are some high-percentage strategies for hot-weather walleye adventures.
    Walleye anglers stuck in spring mode often struggle in summer. But it’s actually ...
    Article Preview

Habitat loss coincides with drop in pheasant, deer numbers

North Dakota is on the northern range of sustained pheasant territory, and weather plays a significant role in annual population fluctuation for pheasants and deer.
    N.D. Game and Fish Department

One of the handouts at the spring round of Game and Fish Department advisory board meetings held in April was four pages that included two North ...
    Article Preview

Top 10 Fish Batters and Seasonings

by Chelsie Walters & Jessyca Sortillon

There are a lot of fish seasonings and batters to choose from, but which are the best? (Chelsie Walters photo)

With so many fish batters and seasonings out there, it can be difficult to find the best. Our team surveyed anglers and chefs, tested different seasoning blends and batter mixes in our kitchens, and scoured the internet to come up with our favorite top 10 fish batters and seasonings. You’ll certainly want to keep these fish batters and seasonings stocked in your spice pantry.

Primal Palate Seafood Seasoning
    Seafood Seasoning (Photo courtesy of Primal Palate)

Primal Palate’s Seafood Seasoning is not only beautifully packaged, but also incredibly versatile. Chock-full of citrus flavor and tasty green ingredients, this seasoning combines lemon peel, chives, parsley, bay leaves and more for a well-balanced ...
    Article Preview

Trolling Weed Walleye

BY JASON MITCHELL OUTDOORS

Large weed covered flats seem to hold walleye particularly through the first half of the summer. These often-large nondescript locations can be often overlooked by anglers who have been preprogrammed to look for structure. Depending on the lake or water you are fishing, these flats

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter