• Recent Article Comments

CatDaddy

16.8-LB BAY OF QUINTE FREAK

What a pig! Go to last post

CatDaddy 12-17-2018 01:03 AM
    guywhofishes

How to tell if big walleye are female

well duh

The Neature Approach to wildlife identification is a proven method. Go to last post

guywhofishes 12-07-2018 06:09 PM
    Wags2.0

How to tell if big walleye are female

He said it was a male because it looked like a male lol. Super scientific Go to last post

Wags2.0 12-07-2018 05:59 PM
  • Articles

Article Preview

North Dakota fisheries continue epic expansion

by DOUG LEIER N.D. Game and Fish Department

N.D. Fish and Game Department

I’ve been typing and talking about the epic expansion of fisheries in North Dakota since the current wet cycle began in the early 1990s.

Since this fortuitous natural phenomenon began 25 years ago, North Dakota ...
    Article Preview

North Dakota Darkhouse Spearfishing Stats

As anglers begin another winter of darkhouse spearfishing, now is a good time to look back on last winter’s record-breaking season.

The 2017-18 North Dakota darkhouse spearfishing season set records for total participants and northern pike speared, according to statistics ...
    Article Preview

Ice fishing panfish: Inline vs spinning reels

By Brett McComas

We’ve come a long way from those wooden jiggle sticks your grandpappy used to use in the darkhouse…handlining in panish next to a wood-burning stove. Nothing wrong with that [!] but if you’re looking to up your game, there’s a pile of new options for hardwater reels.

So what’s best: Spinning or new-school ...
    Article Preview

Tips for Titanium Tips

by Matt Straw

One of the most fascinating things about fishing is style. Style can be aggressive, subtle. Some anglers walk the fence, and some jump back-and-forth. In the gray areas between the extremes lay thousands of approaches to simply fishing vertically below a hole in the ice. One intriguing element is how conditions and other factors can ordain one style today and a different style tomorrow, while people fishing different styles side-by-side sometimes catch equal ...
    Article Preview

Ever try ice fishing walleyes with plastics?

by Brett McComas

I know a lot of people have (finally) been playing ’round with plastics while ice fishing for panfish, but they can work just as good-er for walleyes….

Walters typically come through in small ...
    Article Preview

Fish House Regulations

Winter anglers are reminded that any fish house left unoccupied on North Dakota waters must be made out of materials that will allow it to float.
    A popular question this time of year is if campers qualify ...
    Article Preview

WHY FEMALE WALLEYE (AND OTHER GAMEFISH) GROW SO MUCH BIGGER THAN THE MALES.

BIG FEMALES ARE CHAMPION SPAWNERS, BUT THE MALES MATTER, TOO

by Gord Pyzer

Buddy Jeff Matity sent me a photo the other day of his brother Jason with a gorgeous 29-inch walleye, that he caught last week while ice fishing on Last Mountain Lake, Saskatchewan. What made the catch even more remarkable, however, was the fact that the giant walleye ...
    Article Preview

6 must-have jigging spoons for hardwater walleyes

by Brett McComas

No doubt there’s a pile of jigging spoons out there…’cuz they straight-up catch fish! You’ve probably already got your faves, so did any of ’em make this list of 6 tried-and-true options that have been putting walleyes topside for years?!

I’m confident this lineup of jigging spoons could pluck walleyes through the ice on any lake, anywhere. Heeeere we go — straight off my ice rods and into this write-up ...
    Article Preview

SONAR FOR ICE FISHING

by BOB JENSEN

About this time last year I had an interesting conversation with a friend that wanted to get more involved in ice-fishing. He is an accomplished open water angler: He has a nice boat that’s rigged with
    Article Preview

North Dakota Spearfishing Season Has Evolved And Expanded

by Doug Leier

One of North Dakota’s most recent expansion in fishing opportunity is darkhouse spearfishing.

At least, it seems like it’s recent, but in checking the record, it was back in 2001 when the North Dakota state legislature authorized, and the North Dakota Game ...
    Article Preview

Why you should be ice fishing with fluorocarbon

by Brett McComas

Note: There’s no one specific line type that’s ideal for all situations, but fluorocarbon tries to come close. Here’s how it stacks up against the other lines and why you need to have a rod or two rigged up with it.

HOW

Article Preview

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CUSTOM ICE RODS

by Joel Nelson

Featured - Croix Custom Ice by St. Croix Rods
    Photo Credit - Matt Addington Photography

It’s usually easier to view changes to a sport like fishing looking backwards, rather than in the present or especially future. ...
    Article Preview

Winter Fishing Regulations

North Dakota anglers are encouraged to refer to the 2018-20 North Dakota Fishing Guide or the state Game and Fish Department’s website for winter fishing regulations.
    In addition, anglers can ...
    Article Preview

Fargo Ice Fishing Show: Happenin’ Dec 7-9 at Scheels Arena.

Article Preview

TRICK FOR SOLO INSTALLING A “RUNNER KIT” ON YOUR PORTABLE SHACK.

IMO the worst part about putting together a new flip-over (by yourself) is trying to add a runner kit (aka: hyfax, slides, tracking kit, etc) to the bottom of the sled….
    Of course worth it since they take the beating instead of your sled, and help it to track straight when towed behind a sled or wheeler…but it’s never fun installing ’em.

Few things you can do to make it easier:

1. Convince a fishin’ buddy — with pizza and beer — to come help. Works 60% of the time, every time.
    2. Put the runners on first [!!!] so you don’t need to work around other schtuff.
    Article Preview

Ice fishing for crappies after dark (shallow weeds!)

Nothing’s more frustrating than hearing about a good day-time bite while you’re stuck on the clock….
    Let’s face it: Work seeeeriously cuts into fishin’ time [crying emoji] but without it you couldn’t buy that basket-full of new baits…or pay the mortgage lol.

What you might not know is some of the best hardwater crappie fishing ...
    Article Preview

EARLY ICE IS NICE!

by MIKE FRISCH

The best time to catch winter walleyes is usually during the first few weeks after safe ice first forms as walleyes are often still feeding aggressively. Mid-winter, on the other hand, often means a tougher bite as the fish become more lethargic. Here are some suggestions for capitalizing on ...
    Article Preview

Crappie Main Streamed

By Jason Mitchell

Crappie inhabit so many different environments and ecosystems. What has always made ice fishing so much fun for me is the simple fact that each body of water will have its own personality. And that my friends is fun to figure out. There are some fisheries where we ...
    Article Preview

THE BEST ICE-FISHING ROAD TRIPS IN AMERICA

Grab your buddies and head for the highway this winter to one of these D.I.Y-friendly hotspots for walleyes, lakers, bluegills, and pike

BY
    MARK MODOSKI

If you’re anything like me, you’ve got a few good friends who make up your core ice-fishingcrew. Thing is, you’re also probably hitting the same handful of lakes and ponds over and over. Your home game is dialed, no doubt, so maybe it’s time to take the team on the road. Planning a D.I.Y. getaway in the coldest months definitely comes with more logistics than a summer trip.

While we can’t stop a snowstorm from making highway conditions dicey, we can ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter