• Articles

Article Preview

Ice Fishing Lake Winnipeg

By: Chad Maloy | Fargo, ND SCHEELS Pro Staff

It is a common question heard among anglers on Lake Winnipeg, “you fishing naked?” Don’t worry, they are not asking if you are fishing without clothes, they are asking if you are tipping your lures with bait or not. ...
    Article Preview

How to Catchy Trophy Walleyes at Night

Hammer trophy walleyes after dark with these three can't-miss pro tactics.

BY ROSS ROBERTSON

You might have to put on a wool hat and gloves, but dealing with the fall chill is worth it for those hot walleye nights.

Bill Lindner
    Article Preview

Early Ice Excitement

By Brewer-Agre Outdoors | Fargo, ND SCHEELS Pro Staff

For many outdoors enthusiasts, no sooner than we have our deer tag notched and venison in the freezer, and we’re looking ahead to “first ice” and the next outdoor adventure. The new gear and great deals that we found at Scheels Ice Fest seems to be

Article Preview

Ice Breaker: Finesse Adjustments for Panfish

By Jason Mitchell

There are a variety of factors that influence the presentation and our overall mindset for catching sunfish and crappie through the ice. Over the past fifteen years, there was a strong overall trend to power fish through locations and find fish. Whether we were ...
    Article Preview

2018 The Year to Buy?

by Joel Nelson

Photo Credit - Ben Larson - In-Depth Media Productions

Big expenditures in hunting and fishing tend to be rare for most people. For the most part, the outdoors has always been a rather humble sport, available to all in some form regardless of social status or financial means. Growing up, squirrel ...
    Article Preview

A Career in the Fishing Industry

by Jason Mitchell

I used to get emails but over time with the explosion and popularity of social media, I now get messages. Questions from young people who have a passion for angling and somehow want to get started in the fishing industry.

There are not a lot ...
    Article Preview

BEST WHEELHOUSE CAMERA?

by Joel Nelson

John W. asks:
    Hey Joel - I saw you got a Yetti last year and am wondering what underwater camera you’d recommend for inside of a permanent. We mainly fish for walleyes on Mille Lacs but sometimes fish for panfish nearby.
    Thanks,
    Article Preview

WHICH CROIX CUSTOM ICE (CCI) ROD?

by Joel Nelson

Matt R. asks:
    I saw St. Croix released their new CCI rods. I just had a couple of questions in regards to them.
    First, as far as for panfish what rod would you recommend for fishing tungsten flys, jigs, smaller spoons, and number
    Article Preview

Multispecies Systems That Catch Fall Pike

by Doug Stange

Not one to claim spring-chicken status any more, and in all the entervening years having seen most of what the pike world has to offer, I have settled on several straightforward strategies to catch the big bad boys during the autumn parade.

Even when I drive to a pike heaven like Rainy Lake, a Canadian Shield lake on the Minnesota-Northwest Ontario border, I usually begin with tactics that allow me to test the waters for the happening fish of the moment. Could be pike, but could also be walleyes, and at times smallmouth bass. Then I tinker ...
    Article Preview

Fall Trolling Success

By Dave Wasness | Fargo, ND SCHEELS Pro Staff

Fall is a great time of the year to be fishing for walleyes. The leaves are turning, the water and air temperatures have dropped, and the walleyes are feeding. No other presentation will find more fish faster ...
    Article Preview

Late Summer Walleyes in the Weeds

Photo courtesy of Jon Ray
    Hit the salad bar for consistent late summer walleyes.

Dr. Jason Halfen

Conventional wisdom calls for walleyes to be found in cool, shallow water during spring and fall, and lurking in deeper water during the heat of summer and the dead of winter.

However, this binary distribution of walleye locations is far too simplistic; indeed, modern electronics and contemporary presentations have worked in tandem ...
    Article Preview

Deadly Vertical Fall Tactics

By Jason Mitchell

Perhaps more than any other year, fall fishing locations can be spot on the spot where specific structural elements hold fish. An advantage that anglers have when fishing fall patterns is that so often, many fish are relating to deeper structure where you ...
    Article Preview

Catch-and-release becomes common practice

DOUG LEIER North Dakota Game and Fish Department

As a kid growing up in North Dakota a few decades ago, I don’t recall the concept of catch-and-release fishing, let alone the intentional practice. “Eaters” were kept because that’s why we were fishing.

Article Preview

Fishing responsibly an important message for anglers

by Doug Leier

There's a new sign at some North Dakota fishing destinations this summer, reminding anglers of the value of the resources they are about to pursue.

The message the signs impart is simple: "Fish Responsibly. Only Keep What You Will Use. Fish Are Too Valuable To Waste."
    Article Preview

Walleye Fishing During Algae Blooms

by Dan Johnson

Algae blooms are a fact of life this time of year on lakes across the Walleye Belt. Though dreaded by many anglers, they can create opportunities for some of the season’s finest fishing for all sizes of walleyes. Best of all, you don’t need to be a night owl or brave foul weather to pull walleyes from beneath the green curtain. You just need sunscreen and shades, because some of the fastest action occurs on calm seas under scorching sunny skies.

Veteran North Woods guide Jeff Sundin has been chasing summer walleyes across central and northern Minnesota for three decades. His fishing grounds include rivers and ...
    Article Preview

THE MONO “LOOP TRICK” FOR PLANER BOARDS.

Article Preview

Jig Tips for Walleye

By Jason Mitchell

The incredible, edible jig. Walleye anglers love jigs because not only are jigs fun to fish but this presentation is also extremely versatile. All season, any season, chances are you can use a jig presentation in some fashion to catch fish. If you were to poll a hundred walleye anglers, there is a good ...
    Article Preview

CRICK-FISHING 101

by Joel Nelson

I grew up next to two “cricks,” one of them being closer to a trickle, the other maybe more appropriately named a creek. The two eventually joined, but no matter where we fished along them, the experienced was a hands-on activity. Worms were dug, grasshoppers ...
    Article Preview

Patterns That Find Late Summer Walleye

by Cory Schmidt

You have to admire the optimism of statements like, “There’s no such thing as a bad time to go fishing,” even if it’s not necessarily accurate in the sense of fantastic versus difficult times to catch walleyes.

I appreciate the opportunity to fish for the palliative effects of the experience. But I’m mostly here to catch fish, and August walleye fishing comes with challenges. In my guiding days years ago, the August calendar always filled in with folks who subscribed to the notion that hot, late-summer weather and biting bugs somehow translated to biting ...
    Article Preview

WALLEYES NOT BITING FOR YOU? AL LINDNER OFFERS 3 CAN’T-MISS TIPS

by Al Lindner

Walleyes in the wrong place and not biting what they should be this summer? You’re not alone! But fear not, Al Linder is here to share three can’t-miss tactics to put ‘eyes into your boat – and without live bait.

“Talking to the guides and a lot of the people we know all over the Midwest, everybody has said this has been the strangest year any of us have ever seen for ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter