Theadmiral

Salmon activity

Rate this Entry

0 Not allowed!
Planning on heading down by Garrison to try out some salmon fishing. Looking for some advice and tips for a first time out guy. I have my boat setup with downriggers and have Fish Lake Michigan many times but looking for some local advice out here. From the reports I have read anywhere from 85 to 105 ft down is a productive water column. Do any of you salmon fishermen out here catch fish above that targeted water column range? I have some of my rods set up with copper line that can get me down maybe 50 ft or so and Dipsy divers that can get me down 20 to 40 ft . Am I wasting my time fishing dolls baps? My tackle box is set up with flashers Dodgers flies spoons and Jay plugs. Do spoons work out here or do you have to use squid? I've been a long time reader of this forum and will post any of my results after trying it out. Hoping to get a little advice before I hit the water. Thanks in advance for some friendly advice.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Lake Sakakawea

Comments

Can't speak for others but I sold all my trolling spoons and flies after trying for 3 or so seasons w no action on them. Needlefish seem to be working for us. Midweek you may get away w longer lines out but not on the weekends, too congested

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, squids and needlefish behind a flasher. I have heard of some caught on meat rigs too. You are probably not going to want to do any long lining , too many boats and we all fish very Close and share info, all you have to do is ask. Everyone's up their for the same reason, to catch salmon.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the above posts far to congested to be running long lines, I have puckered up quite a few times as people have cut through my propwash even with downriggers. I think it is tough to beat the flasher and squid combo and no doubt that takes the most fish out there. I always run spoons as stacked lines as it makes me feel less likely to tangle up with myself. I have caught equal numbers of fish on herring hoods and flasher as a squid and flasher combo, some days they seem to really like spoons. There is also people who run just herring without an attractor, I have never personally tried this. Good luck.

0 Not allowed!
    Spoons are useful in another couple of weeks. That's when you can toss them from shore and catch fish. Or, as I may try for fun. Put the pontoon out and let the kids throw spoons all day as the fish move up shallow enough.

0 Not allowed!
    Still have better luck myself w cranks, seems that "slap" on the surface scatters em, just so much more castable though for littles, rattle trap

1 Not allowed!
    Hey fellas! I'm moving out that way this fall. Starting stock up on tackle since I can't fish currently. My question Is when you say squid you are you talking things like Macks cha cha squidder?
    Thanks for any help!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Oley55, check out michiganangler.com and search hoochie rig or squids. If you are in Bismarck, talk to Wade down at Dakota Tackle and he will hook you up. He talks to a lot of the guys and will point you in the right direction and not blow smoke at you to make a sale. He will tell you how it is and exactly what the guys are doing. You can also get ahold of Scott at Scotts bait and tackle up in Pick City. He also has a pretty good selection of salmon tackle and prices are very reasonable Good Luck.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyna
    Hey Oley55, check out michiganangler.com and search hoochie rig or squids. If you are in Bismarck, talk to Wade down at Dakota Tackle and he will hook you up. He talks to a lot of the guys and will point you in the right direction and not blow smoke at you to make a sale. He will tell you how it is and exactly what the guys are doing. You can also get ahold of Scott at Scotts bait and tackle up in Pick City. He also has a pretty good selection of salmon tackle and prices are very reasonable Good Luck.
    Thanks for the Info!!

0 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter