luvcatchingbass

Bassing for Cats

Rate this Entry

17 Not allowed!
As I was cleaning garage on Sunday morning and seeing my tackle boxes had collected more dust I decided that I just had to go wet a line. I decided to hit the Sheyenne in an area I have had moderate success in the past and just hoped I could find something willing to bite artificial lures as I had no bait. Rigged up a couple rods with jigs and my baitcasters got a slip rig with 2oz no roll sinkers. Pulled up to my spot and was unloading when a frog jumped, I took that as a sign that he was meant for bait so I snagged him. Got setup and the frog wasn't in the water for 5min before the rod started bouncing while I pitched a jig. Suddenly the frog rod doubled and I had a catfish fight, turned to be about 3lber that would work perfect for supper. Re-hooked what was left of the frog and reset, 2min later another hit and this one had lots of fight turning out to be a 4-5lb cat that finished off my frog.
Tried powerbait on that rod which had a couple hits but no takers, jigs with different plastic trailers, crank baits and did a little more frog hunting with no success so called it and afternoon beings we had enough for supper. Was just nice getting out and stretch the string.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Sheyenne River

Comments

Nice!! There are getting to be a fishable populations of kitty kats out my way too. I'm going to try to figure them out. Most of the cats I catch are accidents and they hit my jigs or cranks. They really put up a fight in the current and most of the time my walleye gear is way undergunned to wrestle with cats. Let me know how you cook'em up.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like you snip off the tails to bleed them--nicer white meat. You can also cut their gills out to bleed them out.

1 Not allowed!
    Take whats left of them and use a tile spade plant them along side of your tomato plants and stand back.

1 Not allowed!
    Nice looking cats! Perfect size for eating IMO.

1 Not allowed!

I just zipper the fillets and cube them up season with whatever I have and fried. One thing I have been experimenting with is to fry fish like this most of the way through then remove and let cool for a couple minutes then give them another dunk to finish them out, this way I find I actually get a little better crisp on the breading but that might depend on the type used.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrandt
    Take whats left of them and use a tile spade plant them along side of your tomato plants and stand back.
    That is exactly what I did it is in the middle of the row between my peppers and tomatos.

0 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter