Hookin8easy

Salmon

Rate this Entry

11 Not allowed!
Just throwing this out there for anybody hitting it up this weekend....hit the lake from 8-130 today, dropped my temp probe down and found 54 degrees to be down at 95’, so decided to run my gear there according to anything I read 54 degree is optimal feeding range, anyway ran gear from 80-95’ all morning with one small shaker on chartreuse bubble/glow flasher n white needlefish. Dropped gear farther down to 105’ at noonish and landed 2 of 3 in an hour and a half, all chartreuse of some flavor and white needlefish, pulled the plug at 130 and called it a somewhat success with salmon for the charcoal. 1@7#ish, 2 @ 2-3#. Good luck.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Lake Sakakawea

Comments

Got hit 2@75, one at 80,&95. Greens and blue needle fish flasher color didn’t seem to matter. Fished from 630 to about 10ish. Then went for walleyes.

3 Not allowed!
    how are the salmon looking ? are thy nice and fat.

0 Not allowed!
    Got 5 today, kept 4, let a small go and lost another near the boat. White flasher with green and blue/white needle fish, rest on white flasher with chartuse and solid white squid. Was way west of the crowd. 85,95 and 105’.
    Yesterday I didn’t even have a release. Go figure.

2 Not allowed!
    Fished on Friday and Saturday, caught 2 on Friday , 3 on Saturday. White or blue flashers with white and green or glow white needl squid 75-95. Did catch a couple better ones.

2 Not allowed!
    Landed 3 today by noon, 2@90, 1@105. The 105 was right at noon as we were pulling gear. 1 on Dakota classic on chartreuse blade, the other two were chartreuse bubble/glow, all white needlefish again for us. 2 nice ones and a jack. Got a bonus 26” eye down at 85’ around 8am

2 Not allowed!
    Updated 08-05-2018 at 10:10 PM by Hookin8easy
    Please educate me, What are needlefish rigs i hear about? are they a spoon type lure? Iam a uneducated salmon fisherman

0 Not allowed!
    They are slimmer, smaller size squid is all. Some people call them needle squid also. You rig them behind a flasher just like you would a squid. check out the link. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100p...763974385.html

0 Not allowed!
    Updated 08-06-2018 at 02:59 PM by howmuchdidheweighgeno
    Fished family hours today (9-2:30) landed 3. Same depths as yesterday. 95-105’ Same colors. White/green/chartuse flashers. White squid/needle fish. White/blue needle fish.

0 Not allowed!
    is there any effective to fish salmon without downriggers?

0 Not allowed!
    Long lining deep cranks later in the season. Since they haven’t stocked tailrace since before the flood that is about it or casting in the bays in October when they return to where they were released

1 Not allowed!
    If you check Bisman, you can usually pick up some nice used downriggers at different times of the year if you would decide to go that route if you are interested.. You can get into downriggers pretty cheap if you look around. You can actually fish 4 rods with 2 riggers if you use stackers.

0 Not allowed!
    This should actually be the start of a better fall sequence for salmon. 4 years ago was the last cycle of the stocking being done at Indian hills and Sakakawea state park instead of government and rodeo. Should at least put all these upcoming spawners towards the dam area. Would be nice to see rodeo bay full of them again like it used to be.

4 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, was up there Friday and Saturday. Caught 4 of 6 on Friday and 2 for 2 on Saturday. Saturday was much slower. Anything white and a little green or chartreuse was good. 75-95 early and 85-110 a little later. Was starting to mark a little more bait in the area. Fished from just south of government up past deadman's a ways out into the lake. Caught much nicer fish on Friday and lost a bigger one I think was better than 10lbs. Good luck.

0 Not allowed!
    First off..Thank You All for the information posted on any of these reports, any information is very helpful for someone like myself just getting started in salmon fishing!! I was out this past Sunday from 7:30am to 11:30am and didn't even have a release. I was fortunate enough to see a couple of fish netted in the distance here-and there though! I tried just about every combination I had for flashers and regular-size squids from 70' - 120' over approx. 165' FOW, but no action that day. I talked to a couple of guys at the dock and they each had 4, which was great news to hear that there was some other bites happening out there! I did pick up a couple of needle-fish today since I've seen those referred to in past posts though. I'll be out there again this Thurs afternoon/evening, and again early Friday morning so I'll do my best to post some "hopefully better" results for everyone!

On a side note, my folks are coming in from out of town the 24th-25th just for a salmon outing, so if anyone has any helpful feedback by the middle of next week, it would be greatly appreciated! Good luck out there everyone...and thanks again for any information!! -CB

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbartuska
    First off..Thank You All for the information posted on any of these reports, any information is very helpful for someone like myself just getting started in salmon fishing!! I was out this past Sunday from 7:30am to 11:30am and didn't even have a release. I was fortunate enough to see a couple of fish netted in the distance here-and there though! I tried just about every combination I had for flashers and regular-size squids from 70' - 120' over approx. 165' FOW, but no action that day. I talked to a couple of guys at the dock and they each had 4, which was great news to hear that there was some other bites happening out there! I did pick up a couple of needle-fish today since I've seen those referred to in past posts though. I'll be out there again this Thurs afternoon/evening, and again early Friday morning so I'll do my best to post some "hopefully better" results for everyone!

On a side note, my folks are coming in from out of town the 24th-25th just for a salmon outing, so if anyone has any helpful feedback by the middle of next week, it would be greatly appreciated! Good luck out there everyone...and thanks again for any information!! -CB
    I will be up there Friday morning also if I get my boat back, had some work done. I will be in a black lund 2010 pro guide tiller with a 175 verado on it. Give me a holler and I can help you out.

0 Not allowed!
    Thx for the response, I'll be lookin for ya!
    Was out today as planned and got 2. Started at 11 and didn't catch the first one until about 4:30, and second one about 20 minutes later, loaded up boat at 7pm. Both fish came on a whit/dark green flasher and a full-size silver and green-striped squid. Weight was set too 100' over 150-155FOW. I believe they call the area we got them at Deadman's Bay (??), or something like that I guess.....more on the North side of Gov. Bay I guess. Saw several netted in this area and just outside the inlet to the boat ramp. Hope some of this info helps!

0 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter