Ponyroper

Sakakawea

Rate this Entry

8 Not allowed!
Went up to Sak. yesterday (Wednesday) and wandered around Beaver Bay for a while from 2 until 7 pm. Very few boats on the water and the reports I heard were that it was slow. Didn't mark many fish except in 50' or deeper but did stumble on to a nice 20"er in about 25' of water. Couldn't seem to tempt the deep fish so I trolled along the shore in about 10-12' of water west of Beaver and managed to pick up 3 more 'eyes and a couple of nice perch. Fish must be really scattered because I never marked any fish in that shallow water but they were there. They were 19", 18", 17" and the perch were 13" and 8". Caught the big fish on a chewed up old gold Shad Rap that has been my go to crank for over 20 years. The rest were caught on BB's with a crawler and yellow spinner.

Name:  IMG_1545.JPG
Views: 1214
Size:  71.9 KB
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Lake Sakakawea

Comments

I take it you didn't keep the perch? or did you mean the smallies on the right?

0 Not allowed!
    Well, now I guess I know what a smallie is. Never caught either one before, kind of a beginner fisherman, which is why I was amazed to catch anything. Only thing I ever caught as a kid was bullheads and hammerhandle pike. Could use a volunteer to teach me how to fish.

3 Not allowed!
    Looks like you’ve already learned!

2 Not allowed!
    Go to Youtube n search walleyes. Even videos from ND on there, some neat stuff everyonce in awhile.

0 Not allowed!
    I know you can catch fish, seen it with my own eyes!
    We will have to get out again some time.

1 Not allowed!
    Don't feel bad about the fish Identity. Years ago we were fishing with a fellow that had a trailer up at Mosset Bay. He insisted that a salmon we caught was a walleye. A bit too much whiskey.

2 Not allowed!
    Been to Sak. a couple times, on North side and Van Hook arm. Is the South side and Little Mo. any good in Sept? Any good places to stay in Pick City, Hazen or Beulah? hear very little about fishing the South side of Sak. Is Deep Water the bay behind the dam? Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333
    Been to Sak. a couple times, on North side and Van Hook arm. Is the South side and Little Mo. any good in Sept? Any good places to stay in Pick City, Hazen or Beulah? hear very little about fishing the South side of Sak. Is Deep Water the bay behind the dam? Thanks.
    Deepwater is south of Parshall about 15-18 miles. There's a large creek (Deepwater Cr) that runs into the lake and forms a large bay. There's also a campground and a boat ramp there.

0 Not allowed!
    It wasn’t that long ago that some ND transplants filled their deer tag with a rancher’s prized cow!

0 Not allowed!
    First time I caught a smallmouth a few years back, I had no idea what I had caught! Had to look it up on the game and fish website. They're fun to catch and I think taste pretty decent as well.

0 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter