Chooch

Shore fishing

Rate this Entry

0 Not allowed!
Any reports on shore fishing up at lake darling or anywhere else? Went to the tail race Sunday morning got there before the sun came up, not one bit, tried everything in my tackle box, about 30 yards father out than I could reach casting 3 guys in a boat were catching a lot! Probably had there limit in less than an hour and half, they were dropping and jogging vertically, wish I could have casted out that far, straight out from the cement blocks by the boat ramp
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Lake Sakakawea

Comments

Fish the tailrace in the evening with a #14 husky jerk. Lots of fish to catch there

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, evening at dusk, the area right around the boat ramp can be good. Can also be frustrating, as boats roar in and out. Been on both sides of that coin.

I would be more inclined to fishing the rocks on the east shore, up in the fast water, but it's a real jaunt to get down there...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKay
    Yes, evening at dusk, the area right around the boat ramp can be good. Can also be frustrating, as boats roar in and out. Been on both sides of that coin.

I would be more inclined to fishing the rocks on the east shore, up in the fast water, but it's a real jaunt to get down there...
    I've always wondered how to get down there on the East side. I've always fished the rocks on the West side.

0 Not allowed!
    The honey hole from shore can be hit or miss. Try east side rocks with a clear husky jerk.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BRK
    I've always wondered how to get down there on the East side. I've always fished the rocks on the West side.
    Go to the tailrace boat launch parking lot. By the bathrooms, there is a gravel road going up to the overflow parking lot, which is up above the regular parking lot. Drive across the lot straight west, and then the gravel road turns north for maybe 1/4 mile, then there is a wide spot at which people park.

You can't drive past that wide spot. There is a cable and posts.

Walk north along the top of the cliff until you have to take a steep dirt trail down to the mid-level area. at that point you can head south or north. If you continue north, eventually you can walk down across the boulders, and end up right near the orange line of death.

Bring a clothespin for your nose. The bird crap is strong. If it's sprinkling, be careful, that bird crap is slippery.

Watch out for pelicans and gulls, as they love floating cranks, and they don't appreciate the unhooking process. Also watch for paddlefish. If you snag one, grab your spool immediately and let them break you off. If you don't stop your spool immediately, the end result will be the same, but you will get spooled first. Either way, if you see paddlers (and you will, if you look), give it a rest until they go by. You don't want none of them.

Hope that helps.

1 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter