I'm off.......

1. KDM
    KDM
    Set 36 snares today on two locations and I'm ready to start peeling fur. I don't have to go very far from home to find dogs as I have a pack NW, SW, NE, and SE of my house that I hear every night a yowling and carrying on. I know I shouldn't, but I HAVE to check tomorrow to see how my sets do. I LOVE THE ANTICIPATION!!! Anyone else got cables out yet??

0 Not allowed!
  2. Bluegill
    Bluegill
    I haven't set any snares yet. Waiting and hoping for this snow to come. I've still got some traps in the ground though

0 Not allowed!
  3. JMF
    JMF
    I waited till yesterday to hang anything on account of the warm weather.

0 Not allowed!
  4. KDM
    KDM
    Hey JMF, I dimed you out to dukgnfshn. He's startin' to snare around your area and I told'em you're in that area and pretty good with cables. (Grin) Hope you don't mind. Got one coon (Huge Male) today, but he's been fightin' and had bald spots all over his back that the snare didn't touch. Bummer, he had to be pushin' 25 lbs. Had one pull the whole thing out stake and all, but I think that was a deer and had two knock downs. Also deer I think. Might have to go to the wolf fangs. Didn't want to pony up the dough, but I don't want this pull out stuff anymore. Not good for anybody. Deiced the cables and hopefully they stay functional through this crappy weather. I'll run'em again tomorrow, just to be sure. Good Luck!!!

0 Not allowed!
  5. JMF
    JMF
    No problem Kirk. Nice job on the coon, those bald spots saved you the time it would have taken to put up $2 coon . Weird you had something pull the stake and all, what kind of stake are you using? I've never had any problems with a 20" piece of half inch rebar.

1 Not allowed!
  6. KDM
    KDM
    That's exactly what I had in the ground. A 20-24 inch piece of rebar. I figure a full grown doe or buck got their front foot in the cable and reared up. Pulled straight up or near straight up and pulled the stake. The ground was tore up a bit, but not really a catch circle. Couldn't have been there very long.

0 Not allowed!
  7. JMF
    JMF
    How long of "rope" are you using? If it's less than 8' adding a few feet so they can't get vertical over the stake will solve that problem.

0 Not allowed!
  8. KDM
    KDM
    Yep!! My strings are a bit shorter than that. I double staked everything that didn't have entanglement yesterday. Nailed my first one yesterday. Nice white male. Man I love "Noggin Bonkin'" a butt sniffer. LOL!! The stake just lifted right out so he could've very easily run away with the whole thing. Kind of disappointed he was still kickin' as the seneker had fired and everything. Had two break aways, about 5 deer knockdowns, and put up 2 more snares today. I've been putting the whammy at about a 70 degree angle and I don't have as many deer knockdowns. I had deer go through almost every snare I have out last night and only 5 were buggared up this morning. I have 32 out so that's not too bad. Well, I'm off to skin that yote and try my luck at fleshing. THIS aughta be good......... LOL!!! Going to hit another spot tomorrow and set a bunch more snares out. Can't spear northerns yet, so I have time. Good Luck!! Catch a bunch!!

0 Not allowed!
  9. JMF
    JMF
    Good deal! Even with the sennekers your going to want at least 10' of cable to insure they are lughts out. Good luck with the fleshing.

0 Not allowed!
  10. Kurtr
    Kurtr
    Is there a good video or book. I would like to try snaring we have an over abundance of yotes down here

0 Not allowed!
  11. JMF
    JMF
    Mark Steck with Dakota line snares, from SD, has a good one. John Graham with Fur Country Lures has a good one too. A far better option to shave years off the learning curve is to follow along with somebody that knows what they're doing. You guys have a damn good NTA club in SD. They've hosted the NTA western a few years and have done an amazing job. Join up and catch a few get togethers, they usually will have plenty of demos.

2 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter