K-Drill with 60v Dewalt?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm dumb when it comes to this stuff. I use my 20v (5ah batteries) dewalt drill on my K-drill and it works great. Considering buying the 60v (3ah battery) weed wacker and then using the 60v "flex" battery on my 20v drill for ice fishing. Will I get more holes with that bigger battery?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
60v battery on a 20v drill should be exciting for ten seconds. Then it's burned up I think. Just get a larger capacity 20v battery. I think they have the real large ones at Mac's for $149.

Edit: I could be wrong because I have no idea what a "Flex" battery is. One you switch from tool to tool, or a new technology that lets you switch voltage by a switch that changes part of the battery to parallel rather than inline.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
They automatically switch between voltages I think the way the contacts are in the tools. You will get longer battery life if it's 3 or 4 Amp hour using the same battery in a 20 volt tool will give you 9 or 12 Amp hour

I have also been looking at tool upgrades for a while waiting for a smoking good deal. Trying to decide between Milwaukee or dewalt. I think both are good milwaukee has more tools/options I thing, Dewalt has some not all tools that a made in the USA so that option is there too. I want to get everything all the same one battery one charger. But time I decide to buy something newer and better will be out and they will quit making options for whatever I buy.;)

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
so if I can drill 10 oles with the 20v battery that does not mean I can drill 30 holes with the 60v? This is basically what I am trying to figure out. If I am not going to gain much in battery life by going to the 60v I will probably just get the 20v trimmer.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
so if I can drill 10 oles with the 20v battery that does not mean I can drill 30 holes with the 60v? This is basically what I am trying to figure out. If I am not going to gain much in battery life by going to the 60v I will probably just get the 20v trimmer.
Number of holes should be relative to the Amp Hours of a battery. So if you have a 20v 5AH battery and can get 10 holes then the 60V Flex seems to show that it has a rating of 12AH at 20v usage which means you should be able to go up to 20 holes approximately, one thing I am not sure is what is the amp hour at the 60V setting.

- - - Updated - - -

I know if I hot wire in a 20V Dewalt to my daughters electric tractor she picks up about 18 seconds on her lap around the house compared to the 12V:D

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
the 60v battery that comes with the trimmer I am looking at is only a 3ah, not the 12ah you mentioned. The 12ah can be purchased desperately but is stupid expensive. I am leaning towards buying the 20v trimmer that comes with a battery so then I will have three 20v 5ah batteries.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
the 60v battery that comes with the trimmer I am looking at is only a 3ah, not the 12ah you mentioned. The 12ah can be purchased desperately but is stupid expensive. I am leaning towards buying the 20v trimmer that comes with a battery so then I will have three 20v 5ah batteries.
In that case you gain nothing with a 3ah battery, they are near pointless in my opinion in todays world. The 20v with a 5ah makes more sense in that case. Three 5ah batteries should get you a good number of holes with a k-drill.

- - - Updated - - -

wow $250 for one 12ah or $300 for two 9ah! Yikes!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
That 3ah battery is at 60 volts. If you use it on a 20 volt tool it will be a 9ah battery when used on 20 volt tools. This is my understand like that 12ah flexvolt batter is 12ah when used with a 20 volt tool or 4ah when used with a 60 volt tool.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
there's something about discharge rates involved too... a faster draw doesn't equal same total ah output as lower rate draws

you pay a price somehow for quicker discharges - which I assume is the case with 60V tools having higher rates than 20V thus less total ah

I wish I understood this stuff better - ha ha

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not knowing how dewault rates their batteries. If you consider a 10 amp/hour battery able to withstand 10 amps for an hour or 1 amp for 10 hours, i would say if you have something that is 600 watts at 60 volts will draw 10 amps, so if you have a 10ah battery you can assume 1 hour continuous. if the same 600w tool is used at 20 volts it will draw 30 amps thus draining your battery 3x faster. ExI=P voltsxcurrent=watts if that makes sense.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out cpo tools they seem to have the best prices I can find. Reconditioned tools have been purchased and I have had great luck with them.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
there's something about discharge rates involved too... a faster draw doesn't equal same total ah output as lower rate draws

you pay a price somehow for quicker discharges - which I assume is the case with 60V tools having higher rates than 20V thus less total ah

I wish I understood this stuff better - ha ha

Wrap your brain around it like a bungee strap and show us the equation math/science boy;-)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75