Window Well Covers

andyb15

Established Member
Anyone know where i could get some metal grate style covers custom made? I have two 36x68 window well covers and the prices for plexiglas covers are insane.

Airwolf1972

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if they do this type of work or not, I know they do different custom type stuff, check with All Fab they are in Fargo on 7th Ave N just south of Aggregate Industries concrete plant.... worth a shot I guess.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know where i could get some metal grate style covers custom made? I have two 36x68 window well covers and the prices for plexiglas covers are insane.

why cover them?

- - - Updated - - -

and how much are the plexi's?

andyb15

Established Member
i have a 3 year old that i don't want falling down the window wells. the plexi's are 300ish each.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat as you. I have four of them to cover, and there is no way in hell I'm spending that kind of money to buy the good ones. I'll likely end up building my own out of plexiglass, a few hinges, flat aluminum, and nuts/bolts. I haven't found any good plans to follow yet, but I'm going to do some looking this afternoon.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fiberglass grating, 1" thick, but I'm sure it would be more than $300 each, by the time the dust settled.

However, a 300 lb man could jump on them...

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i use plexiglass sheets that are cut a few inches bigger than the hole. a few spikes on the outside edge of the window well. then lay the plexi against the window and up against the spikes. as it sits, it curls or curves down or inward a bit. works like a charm at keeping water out. the sides are open though. but, not enough room to crawl or fall into.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, whatever you use just remember, somebody may have to get out of that window well cover someday.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
cute picket fence around perimeter?

or hog fencing if that’s yer style.

- - - Updated - - -

i use plexiglass sheets that are cut a few inches bigger than the hole. a few spikes on the outside edge of the window well. then lay the plexi against the window and up against the spikes. as it sits, it curls or curves down or inward a bit. works like a charm at keeping water out. the sides are open though. but, not enough room to crawl or fall into.

pics plz

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, whatever you use just remember, somebody may have to get out of that window well cover someday.
Exactly!! You need to be able to get out of it from the basement in case of fire.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
something like this that just rests there?... easy to push up

And if there's ice binding it down in winter is easy to smash though in emergency.

Lets light in. Isn't grotesque.

In fact - I have an open egress and I'm going to build something a lot like this.

NDA does it again. Thanks guys.

620628417d3dcb0a12e0e63e1d7e81c2.jpg

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good call on the ice build-up guy. I'm going to build something like this. I wonder if there is anyway to prevent snow/ice from building up that and keep it from sealing shut.

- - - Updated - - -

Good call on the ice build-up guy. I'm going to build something like this. I wonder if there is anyway to prevent snow/ice from building up that and keep it from sealing shut.

Any ideas on the best way to attached this type of cover to the metal window wells? Needs to be something that is easy enough to push up from the inside, but also strong enough not to come loose with a gust of wind.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I’d sure cover em. A few years ago a kid was backing up to catch a baseball, fell in and Imthink broke his neck or some serious injury.

we broke the bank and got the plexiglass ones made. Not cheap. Keeps stuff like bunny rabbits and critters from falling in and leaves and junk from blowing in, too.havent even opened the plexiglass panels to clean any junk out for 3-4 years since we installed them. Easy to open from the inside and light enough to easily lift from either the inside or outside in an emergency. Expensive, but IMO probably worth it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75