Valley City Ice Report

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
WE DON'T HAVE ANY!!! Went for a drive with the Mrs. today to look at some lakes and saw just as much open water as we did ice. Hobart, 50% open, Sanborn 30% open, Moon 50% open, Fox 30% open, Eckelson 30% open and what's not open looks like thick slush with a nice "Frothy" topping. For you guys thinking the ice should be safe because of the last two days temps, it's NOT SAFE!! Didn't even have to check the edges with rocks..........most of them were open to the shore at some point. Might want to wait a while guys. I'll update as I get out and about. Just an FYI. Be Safe Fellas!!!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One of the few times i'm glad I live further north.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM. Judging by the forecast I'm going to be sticking to getting the dog out for pheasants and maybe do a little yote calling.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM. Judging by the forecast I'm going to be sticking to getting the dog out for pheasants and maybe do a little yote calling.

I didn't put pontoons on my spear shack so I'll be joining you in the pheasant fields and on the coyote reduction committee.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was pheasant hunting by valley city, marion area last weekend in my shirt sleeves, if there is any ice it isn't going to be good ice. I have watched the ice on devils lake bays go from 5 1/2 inch nice blue ice to 4 inches of white bad ice in the last 2 weeks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still open water on the Sanborn ponds and Hobart by the culvert on the North end. Moon still had some very WET looking ice over the deep water, but the edges look pretty good. Didn't get over to Eckelson or Fox. It's hit and miss right now so as always fellas, Be Safe.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Open water on much of the stuff between Bismarck and the dam today. Still seems odd to see birds lifting off from areas well out from the river this late in the year. Side note apparently 4 ft white caps are no big deal to roosting snow geese sitting a mile off shore.:;:cheers

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen two guys on ashtray. Open water about 50ft away and they had a little kid with em. Shook head

- - - Updated - - -

Ps guy driving on with little suv 3 miles away.

strikemaster8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen two guys on ashtray. Open water about 50ft away and they had a little kid with em. Shook head

- - - Updated - - -

Ps guy driving on with little suv 3 miles away.

I sure hope they made it off alright. No way in hell would I bring my lil guy out with me with that open water nearby. That ice over there has been interesting to say the least this year, from it freezing up good to opening back up. The Ice thickness varies quit a bit...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a weird year where the stuff that froze over beginning of Nov and stayed froze can be 10". But the stuff that opened back up after that initial freeze might still be open water on the same lake.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the recent dusting of snow, I got a pretty good map of the open water. Couldn't see any on Eckelson or Fox. The culvert on the N end of Hobart is still open, Moon didn't have any open water, and the Sanborn ponds still have large areas of open water along with some true "Man Killer" spots right next to the cat tails that are the size of car hoods. Damn Dangerous spots!! There must be some strong current there for some reason. Some of the other areas there are 12 inches, but WOW for variation in ice thickness. Tread lightly there. Be Safe Fellas!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the recent dusting of snow, I got a pretty good map of the open water. Couldn't see any on Eckelson or Fox. The culvert on the N end of Hobart is still open, Moon didn't have any open water, and the Sanborn ponds still have large areas of open water along with some true "Man Killer" spots right next to the cat tails that are the size of car hoods. Damn Dangerous spots!! There must be some strong current there for some reason. Some of the other areas there are 12 inches, but WOW for variation in ice thickness. Tread lightly there. Be Safe Fellas!!

Good thing hunting season is still open for ditch chickens! Seems like the perfect excuse to thin out those males and give the hens a fighting chance.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
By this time next week everything should be locked up good and tight...based on projected overnight lows.

nybs

Honored Member
Figures the year I buy a wheel house we don't get good ice. Blame me guys........eff my life!;:;banghead

Yep - went in on a couple snowmobiles with my brother last year after the 2' Christmas blizzard...haven't rode them yet, but was looking forward to it this year...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77