Wirehaired Griffon

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone have a wirehaired griffon? I am looking for a new dog, but am limited to a breed that the wife will not be allergic to. From what I have found, this may be a good option. I would like to see how my wife would react to being around one.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I had a boarding kennel a customer had one. one of the Ugliest dog I have every seen, but it listened and retrieved. the owner hunted it on upland game.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the finest upland dogs I've ever hunted over. We seldom walk by any critters - even in dry conditions. Great disposition and wonderful family companion.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no idea if the WHG is in the stench category but I can't get over how bad some breeds of dogs stink. Good grief. Blech.

bowhunter88

Established Member
I have one, she's almost 9 years old and still has the energy of a pup. As far as hunting goes, she still amazes me. She started naturally pointing birds at 8 months old. She finds birds that the buddies labs run right pass (nothing against the dogs they didn't have the best trainer :;:huh), and when it comes to a foot race she blows past them like they're standing still. Be prepared for it to be riding in the backseat wherever you go, she doesn't like staying at home. I did buy a clipper and keep her hair shorter so people often mistake her for a shorthair

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife also has pet allergies. She is not allergic to our German Wirehaired Pointers, however. May be a bit easier to find a reputable breeder (there are several I know of offhand in the state) who will have upcoming litters. Griffs aren't as easy to come by.

Whichever breed you pick, please do your due diligence and research the pedigrees. I tried to help train a local guy with a Griff who had zero prey drive. He swore up and down it had hunting in its blood, but when we researched further we found out the breeder was a big show dog person. Same thing has happened with the Irish Setters. Started as a pure hunting breed, then the AKC came along and turned it into a piece of furniture.

Seems to me the best griff breeders with emphasis on hunting are out West. I believe there are some in Idaho and Washtington, in particular.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 a 7 yo female and a 1yo male I love them best breed ever there personalitys are unbelievable they are great with kids if you have any questions a out the breed let me know I have done tons of research and I am a member of a few groups IMAG5524.jpg

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard nothing but great things about the Griffs. I bought a German Wirehaired Pointer this spring. The breeder did say they are supposed to be "allergy friendly". I am not allergic to dogs, so cannot tell you if this is true. They may be a little easier to find. The GWP's hair can vary greatly between blood lines. The one I have has medium coarse hair and is medium length. I am sure some of the same traits would occur in the Griffs.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up the Griff from sconiland. Hope she does not rape and pillage like other sconis. 20180331_123931.jpg

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a wirehair guy but I have hunted with some great Griffs and if I was ever going to get one Coppershot kennel in Hull Iowa would be one of the kennels that I look at. I have talked with the owner once and was very impressed. I know that they had a litter about 3 weeks ago and if I was in the market for a dog right now these guys would be one of my first calls.

http://www.coppershotgriffons.com/

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine came from Daehlers WPG's and have been very happy with them as a breeder.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75