Deer fawns

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you guys seeing for fawns so far? I've seen 300 to 400 deer in the last couple weeks many at night and have seen a grand total of one fawn. They should be out of the full on hiding mode at this point and fawn loss is one of the normal first signs of a bad winter but a couple of these herds were fed so it's a bit of a head scratcher. Hopefully I'm just running into the same groups over and over and it's just a more or less optical illusion but it sure ain't a great sign to start off with.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just now starting to see fawns with does. Still pretty teeny though. I'd guess a lot are still in hide mode

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
on my travels with bike I have seen doe/fawns in different places in the state. so far for me seems (normal) for sightings.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live north of Bismarck and I'd say that 75% of the does I've seen in the past week have had a fawn with them. I've only seen one set of twins this year though.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out east- seen several fawns with Does, but no twins yet. Only singles.

Saw a hell of a pheasant brood earlier this week- that made me smile. At least 10 little ones.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most of the fawns I've seen around here are last years, I've only seen a couple of this years so far.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live north of Bismarck and I'd say that 75% of the does I've seen in the past week have had a fawn with them. I've only seen one set of twins this year though.

yep I live NE of town as well. have one doe and fawn come through the yard often, alfalfa field 1 mile south of us generally has 2 doe/fawn pairs nightly. it seems pretty normal out here too but were pretty suburban yet so prolly found feed this winter. haven't traveled much distance recently

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I've seen a fair amount of twins. Most does I have seen have been with their fawn.

The numbers seem good, from what I have noticed thus far.

(all of Ward County)

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
20170707_205757.jpg
Might be a little tough to see. Had to use my camera that make phone calls for this one. There are 3 brown spots that somewhat resemble deer. The far right one was a doe and then the two on the left were fawns.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Folks bought a cabin south of Walker, MN this spring. Lately, we see a dozen does every time we go up there, and they all have at least one fawn. Several twins and one doe has triplets.

Kind of reminds me of ND's glory days... :(

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
About 50/50 singles to twins from what I have seen here in the SE.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
MFDC1548.jpgIve had a few fawns on cam. Momma's foot looks a little swollen!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The twin thing can be vary misleading at first since the does will often get them separated for the first few weeks for there safety. I'm hoping what I'm seeing is just a fluke of timing but it's definitely odd....even more so when considering the one fawn I did see looked a solid month older then it should have. Mom must have come into season in Oct by the looks of it.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
I live north of bis. as well and lots of fawns. 2 sets of twins and i had a set of triplets in the back yard as of last week but monday night i let the dogs out before bed and heard 2 of them crying. never saw them until this morning but only 2 fawns and mamma. I had been seeing them every morning, beautiful start to the day.

- - - Updated - - -

haven't seen any fawns on the muley herd by waste mnagement

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
only seeing singles with the does and they have been pretty small, talked to a co-worker and he is only seeing singles as well. maybe the twins are even smaller and not moving much yet

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75