Steering Cable

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last weekend we took my buddies boat out for a cruise. We had just finished replacing the electronic fuel pump the night before and we had to make sure it worked the way it should(and it worked great!). But on to the topic at hand. He wanted to back the trailer in, so I drove the boat. So far so good. Until I go to turn the boat and I barely miss the dock! I have never felt the steering that tight on any boat ever before! I could barely turn the damn thing!

So here's my question, I am pretty sure I've heard about being able to lubricate the steering cables on these things but I have never done it or seen it done before. Is there a special tool that needs to be used? We tried spaying lubricant onto the steering rods and working it back and forth but that didn't seem to help a lot. No power steering by the way.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I’ve been wondering about lubing my steering cable too. Any ideas how to get lube inside push pull cables on bicycles, aircraft, etc. Same problem.

if your steering started being obnoxious right after your engine work, I’d wonder if something got kinked or accidentally knocked out of adjustment when you were rummaging around the boat and engine.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bobkat, I guess the steering has been bad for quite some time. My buddy just figured the steering was tight. I got behind the wheel and couldn't believe how he could drive that thing!! All the boats I've had have been very easy to steer.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Wow! Great idea! I’d have thought you’d have put it in under pressure or something, but gravity and time did wonders! I’m going to be a copycat! Thanks Vollmer!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76