Fishing while someone without a license is with

kite

Greetings, I've been a lurker around here for a while, but had to register because I have a question I haven't been able to answer.

I have some family in town this weekend visiting. It is going to be beautiful out though and who knows how many more ice fishing weekends there will be. Anyway, one of the guys said he'd tag along just to hang out while I fished. He would not be fishing and does not want to purchase a license. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Of course I'd only put out 4 poles for myself and only keep a single person's limit (if i was that lucky). He just wants to see the country and BS.

Thanks.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouldn't be an issue if he does not have a rod in hand... With how cheap it is I would just as well get 4 more lines in and throw tipups out.

kite

Ok, that is what I thought. Maybe I will be able to talk him into getting a license.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup he is free to be there but if he is seen taking a fish and the game warden happens to be there checking then that bad. Getting a cheap temp license and then you can hopefully both have a little fun.
Good Luck

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he is from Wisconsin he doesn't need a license nor does he have to worry about limits.:cool:

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A very little known law in ND is that any individual can fish for free one day a year as long as it is a learning experience.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with above,sticks.... eyexer is this true? haha I like it if so.

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really don't see why this is your problem, Let him know the rules and he can make his own decision, fishing sucks without a rod in hand.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure he doesn't even touch a rod. Game wardens have been know to scout from a distance. They might be watching you without you even noticing.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
167DC296-293F-4FF6-A6A9-661DA865269D.jpg

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't a poster on here years ago, get a ticket for handling his child's lines? If I am recalling correctly the warden did the binocular investigation and saw the dad put out his lines, then cast the child's lines so they reached a desired distance from shore.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I couldn't go fishing without fishing. If you're sure he doesn't want to fish then to be on the safe side I'd probably send an email to NDGF and ask the question . We already know what the answer will be but at least if a warden would happen to stop by and feel like he is between a rock and a hard spot and issue a citation you have the email to fall back on. I agree with others that $ 15 isn't a lot to pay for a priceless memory.

Last edited:

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didn't a poster on here years ago, get a ticket for handling his child's lines? If I am recalling correctly the warden did the binocular investigation and saw the dad put out his lines, then cast the child's lines so they reached a desired distance from shore.

If that's true I'd be Soo pissed! Way to ruin a fishing trip with your kid! That one I would fight! Kids have very impressionable minds and a bad trip like that with Daddy getting in trouble might turn them off from fishing in the future.....

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'd be d#$ked then. I'd want to ask the guy the secret to teaching a kid to cast a reasonable distance without sending the minnow the opposite direction. :;:help

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
While at college in SD, a friend and I went out, he wasn't licensed. I was pitching jigs on a spill way and only needed one pole, so I left one my other one in the truck, buddy was just walking around down stream checking things out. Well a warden showed up, looked in the back of my truck and saw the extra pole and checked us both. He fined my buddy because we had the extra pole and he said he had "intent" to fish. he got it overturned in court, but talk about a pain in the ass

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75