Minimum wage~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like we have protests every week over here and this week its the mcdonald workers~ So I came across this note and its spot on~

#vets.jpg

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Total Regular Military Compensation (RMC) for an E1 who lives in the barracks is $40,211 per year. It is $53,432 if he is married and lives off base. This of course depends on the duty station. A single E5 with 8 years in, living in the barracks, had an RMC at $62,672. If he is married and lives off base, it jumps to $76,193. Depending on duty station location of course. None of these figures include free health-care.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was wondering when somebody would compile the total compensation numbers.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
barracks life... thank God for 3 free squares a day. I really don’t see military members struggling
financially these days. In the past couple decades there has been some very well-deserved pay hikes. Most of them are doing pretty good in that respect but it’s a hard life. Always utmost respect for any of these guys and gals.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a side note, a million years ago, I got one of my first jobs at Mickey D's. Back then, before there were millions and millions of fast food joints dotting the countryside, it was considered THEE place to get a job. Back then the manager had stacks of applicants to choose from..ie more applications than positions available. My have things changed over the years as the entry level, first time job seekers seem to be absent from the workforce. Must have better things to do or don't need the money rather than get that first work experience and learn the workings of the working world....ie. NO...you do NOT START at the TOP of the heap..its called earning it. Rant over;:;banghead

Last edited:

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a thing or two about military compensation because I've seen a thing or two about military compensation.

That 'letter to the editor' is not considering the 'package deal' one gets when they sign with Sam.

Also, no one stays an E1 very long, at all.

Johnny fry boy makes $15,600 per year if he puts in 40 hours per week, every week. In my opinion, that's not enough. In my opinion, $30,000 is too much. As usual, the 'best answer' is likely somewhere in the middle.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a thing or two about military compensation because I've seen a thing or two about military compensation.

That 'letter to the editor' is not considering the 'package deal' one gets when they sign with Sam.

Johnny fry boy makes $15,600 per year if he puts in 40 hours per week, every week. In my opinion, that's not enough. In my opinion, $30,000 is too much. As usual, the 'best answer' is likely somewhere in the middle.

Have to agree here...only to add..if Johnny fry boy is making $7.50 hr for any length of time at all in this environment...it is probably because that is his level..ie..if Johnny fry boy was a good worker and was a risk to change jobs, they would darn well pony up more Mcnuggets to him to keep him.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I was a kid I had to work hard during the summer to make more than minimum wage and get overtime. Would I bust my ass like that working physical labor if I could make $15 at McDonalds? No, but would I know what hard work is if I never had those tough jobs? By working those jobs I realized I need to work hard for a good education so I didn't have to work a hard physical job the rest of my life. You are worth what you work.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member

A "man year" as defined by the Department of Labor is 2,080 hours...at $15 an hour that is $31,200 gross pay per year. But I'm a contracting officer that works for the Government...so you may want to check my math. 2,080 hours is what we use to calculate labor estimates when we price contracts. In contrast, the 2018 basic military pay rate for an E-1...with less than 4 months of service is $1,514.70...or $18,176.40 gross pay per year. The letter to the editor has some validity when comparing an entry level employee. Further, the disparity in pay between an entry level fast food employee versus an E-1 serving in the military is rather startling...don't you think? Considering what is required of both employees...

Last edited:

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh.

You have to compare total compensation, not just wage. There is a lot of minimum wage type
people in the service also.

To me the letter writer lost all validity when hw decided to denigrate the minimum wage worker.

I have respect for anyone that works, regardless of where they're at in life.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the burger joints I see advertise $10 to $11 an hour starting wages. That’s pretty damn good for a high school kid IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Do any just bs ever pay minimum wage anymore?

nodakex

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son worked at mcd's in high school. He asked me once why he had to work when his friends didn't. My answer was "so you know why you're going to college". He finished in 4 years with a double major.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69