Made the switch

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
After going over our data limit and already paying a premium for three phones thru Verison. I finally decided to switch my services to strait talk. Every month with Verison just made cringe when the bill came around. Thought I would use my phone on the way to work to see how coverage was and in about a week of switching down the road I will give an update. Got to keep my number and bring my current phone right over.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made the switch about 2 years ago. Verizon bill was $100+ a month, straight talk for unlimited data and text for $48 a month including all taxes. Service did not change at all. My only gripe is that I wish they would offer an overall "package" for a bunch of lines under one plan, hopefully they come out with something like that in the future.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Verizon owns the market up here. It makes me sick when I see that automatic payment come out every month for only two phone lines.... SICK!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those that have been using it for a while, how does the service compare? Do you still get decent reception in the middle of nowhere?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had Strait Talk for about 5 years, no complaints. If you buy the entire year you get a month free, so its only a hair over $40 per month. There has been a couple years where they have offered deals and i have gotten a year even cheaper than that. They do slow your data way down after 10G, I do see they now offer an unlimited unlimited plan that lets you go up to 60G before they slow you down for $55.

The only issue is if you travel internationally it doesn't work.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Total wireless works great for me. They use Verizon towers. Unlimited talk, text and 16 g shared, 2 phones $60 3 phones $80

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those that have been using it for a while, how does the service compare? Do you still get decent reception in the middle of nowhere?
Straight Talk uses the Verizon towers.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I have had straight talk for 8 years now. Never have had any issues with it. Years ago the customer service was bad, but now its way better. We buy a year at a time making it $40 a month, spend about $300 on phones every other year. Overall way better then Verizon. I have done a lot of remote work in western ND alongside a coworker that had Verizon. We both had the same service in all situations.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have to purchase your phone with these plans?

No. If you have a phone already you can buy a different card for it and continue to use your same phone. I've used my same iphone when I switched over. Switch over card is something like $50 or so.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have to purchase your phone with these plans?
Yes, but don't you purchase your phone with all companies? With Verizon you are either paying for it upfront or with a two year monthly payment.

When I decided to switch to straight talk i did a cost analysis on how much i would save by buying my Iphone upfront and then keeping it for 4 years while using straight talk. I cant remember the amount but it was literally hundreds of $$

As Taylor stated above, you can bring an existing phone or purchase a phone directly from apple etc. Just make sure its designed to be used with Verizon.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
our verizon plan is 3 lines unlimited and insurance of about $11/phone for $190. phones are paid off. i've done the math. straight talk wins out on 1 or 2 phones. at 3 phones its about a wash if the phones are bought and paid for. verizon tends to move ahead once you get to 4 phones on the same unlimited plan.

i am a straight talk fan. had it for years. only made the switch cause we all needed new phones at the same time and the kid got old enough to need a phone too. will go back to them once he moves out and starts paying his own bills.

the $374/month above seems excessive. you should look into why that is.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had straight talk some years ago. It did work well, service was pretty close to the same. The phone I had at the time wasn't a top notch thing so maybe that had something to do with lack of service in some places. If I remember right, there is a way to buy some international minutes for them.

I think I switched back to verizon after having a couple issues with them, can't even remember what they were but it was something to do with reliability and data. Honestly I want stuff to work when I need it, I hate being limited by equipment. Verizon has been very reliable, but is expensive. It would probably be healthier and less expensive if I didn't use so much data every month lol

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
our verizon plan is 3 lines unlimited and insurance of about $11/phone for $190. phones are paid off. i've done the math. straight talk wins out on 1 or 2 phones. at 3 phones its about a wash if the phones are bought and paid for. verizon tends to move ahead once you get to 4 phones on the same unlimited plan.

i am a straight talk fan. had it for years. only made the switch cause we all needed new phones at the same time and the kid got old enough to need a phone too. will go back to them once he moves out and starts paying his own bills.

the $374/month above seems excessive. you should look into why that is.

he is paying monthly for phones

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup exactly why I made the switch. Our bill was practically a sedan payment(used but decent). It will cut out bill in half if not more

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if you are still paying on a phone with Verizon and decide to switch I assume you just have to buy out your phone from Verizon then make the switch. We got 2 phones with 1 paid off and 1 is not but the bill with Unlimited data is getting old.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Verizon prepaid doesn't look like a bad deal if you have more than one phone, comparable to straight talk. Have att now and thinking of switching att coverage is very good and is seeming to get worse.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77