When is the last time you saw a monarch?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a bunch of milkweeds growing near my house and it got me thinking when the last time I saw a monarch butterfly. I'm thinking it has been at least ten years, maybe more. Use to see a lot of them growing up.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
1997? There were swarms, especially along the roadways. Now I might see a dozen. Frogs are another one that seem to go through years of population explosions, and then disappear for a decade.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a monarch just about land on my 4-year-old's head this weekend while we were catfishing on the Red. I've seen quite a few out this summer.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't see many outside of Williston. Just gazillions of them white and yellow bitches who's sole mission seems to obliterate my grill and windshield in kamikaze attacks.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are rare in these parts too, Probably saw half a dozen this summer in an area where it uses to be common to see that many in a day. Here its less CRP and native grasslands and more county weed crews spraying the milkweed in road ditches and right of ways. Lots of little white ones though.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats great to hear. I thought maybe they no longer existed in North Dakota. Been a long time.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Monarchs, not a lot but I can see one usually when I want to.

I also have a crapload of milkweed though.

FishinRN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen many more this summer than in recent years past. Mother in law lets milkweed grow in the yard in lakes county Minnesota, they are always out there. I actually hit one in town with the roofline of my truck last week, thing made a thud like I had hit a bird. Amazing creatures, nice seeing more of them around.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing up in the 60s milkweed was everywhere. So were the monarchs.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you're confused on the stuff from the 60's....someone might have told you it was milkweed - as long as you didn't inhale you should be good

Growing up in the 60s milkweed was everywhere. So were the monarchs.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had about 200 this evening in my front yard. I got some great pics. They must be migrating through.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mr. Delson, can you please fill us in on where and when the monarch migration will be this year? Any Canadian sightings? ;)

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mr. Delson, can you please fill us in on where and when the monarch migration will be this year? Any Canadian sightings? ;)

Haha , Nean Delson and his sidekick have provided a lot of useful information and maps on here , Pretty sure if there is/was or will be a Monarch migration map Nean could dig it up in two shakes of a lambs tail. They even know why svnmag went AWAL. There is still a glimmer of hope in the music industry thanks to the likes of Sina the drummer.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pulled up to the shore line of mallard island on Lake Sakakawea over the weekend and walked around on the west end a bit and saw quite a few monarchs there but other than that they have been far between.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read an article a year ago about the population decline of Monarchs. I have a bog that I pump 1000 gallons an hour through to clean my pond. I use native plants in the bog to use up the nitrogen from the fish crap. Anyway, for many years I raised over 200 Monarchs on the swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnate) in that bog. This year I seen one female laying eggs, but I have seen no larvae. Tiger Swallowtails have been feeding on the nectar. _MG_6678.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75