jigging rap vs. shiver minnow

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last fall I really got into fishing jigging raps on DL. I have also been hearing alot about shiver minnows but have never tried them. Wondering if any of you have used both and what you prefer.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me, they have fished the same. The only difference I have found is that the shiver minnow doesn't snag up as much (I think because it doesn't have the nose hook). I also like some of the color patterns shiver minnows have more than the jigging raps.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can crush on the jig rap, but the shiv minnow hasn't blew back my hair much. I'm going to try the bigger ones and see if they work better.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried both, and have had success with both, but I prefer the shiver. I seem to catch more with it and bigger. I mostly fish Sak, so maybe it's the just body of water. I do feel that which ever one you use, the cadence plays a big role in getting bit. I find some days its vertical jigging, while others it's on the cast. It's a fun bite either way!!!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my question, what's the difference in jigging raps compared to the Nils Masters that a guy uses for ice fishing?

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Casting= shiver minnow
Vertical=jigging rap

:;:exactly

Northland Puppet minnow are the next ones that I try. Color seems to makes a big difference.
Gary Parsons said that Shivers didn't work as good on DL during that championship as "other brands". He made the cut with blade baits. Johnson Thinfishers I believe.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both work but it depends on body of water and day. Best to have a selection of everything. I have done well using raps and no luck with shivers on certain days but talked with a buddy that did well on shivers and couldn't get anything on raps. Go figure. Best thing I have learned over the years is have a selection of various baits, try all of them to get some confidence. Confidence is key. Don't get caught up in what other people are using. Use what your confident in and you will catch more fish. When fish are biting real good try something new. That way if you don't catch anything you know that probably does not work so well.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
More important than color, size or brand is getting them in front of the most fish you can in the time your on the water.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me, they have fished the same. The only difference I have found is that the shiver minnow doesn't snag up as much (I think because it doesn't have the nose hook). I also like some of the color patterns shiver minnows have more than the jigging raps.

I have thought about cutting that front hook off of jigging raps. I dont believe that I have ever caught a fish with the front hook other than a couple foul hooked ones.

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have cut the front hook off of all my jigging raps & I get snagged up less & it seems to have no effect on fish hook ups. I agree 100% with what powerman said: vertical jigging = jigging raps & casting = shiver minnows.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use both shivers and raps but prefer the shivers... the primary difference is the shiver minnow rolls over at the top of the stroke as long as you give it slack line, I feel I get more bites on them but it is probably a confidence thing, I lose every rap I put on unless I cut the nose hook off. In the summer I only use the big ones for either brand but I do have friends who use the medium raps and prefer them over anything else

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_6141.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

They look even better with new paint jobs.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty Mike, your a real asshole. Now I am sitting here pondering if I should buy some of those colors.:)

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught my first two walleye on jigging raps this weekend. My arm is sore from ripping so much but the surprise bite was a blast.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
used shivers last fall for the first time. casted them and retrieve various ways. did extremely well with them. biggest ones. replaced the treble with the next sized bigger one. extremely fun to catch fish on those.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69