Gander Mountain prepares to file bankruptcy

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of a bummer, but not a shocker. I drive by there multiple times a day and parking lot is usually pretty empty. I stop in myself time to time and get a few things but overall find better deals elsewhere. I hope they do a blowout sale on guns!

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't go in there often. But, every time I do (ie: gift card), they always find a way to remind me why I almost never go in there.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess it's unfortunate for the employees but I can't honestly say it will affect me at all. Seems to be plenty of sporting goods stores to supply whatever I need. Don't know what their problem was but I was never in a Gander Mt. store that impressed me enough that I was in a hurry to go back.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not too suprising really. Even on Saturdays the parking lot in Fargo is usually a ghost town while Scheel's is completely packed. Come on blowout sale!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought most of my guns from Gander. Prices were fair and service was good, Lot better than Scheel's. Salesmen in Scheel's were always a little north of a roll of toilet paper.:;:stirthepot

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried to do business with Gander in Fargo about 4-5 years ago. As friendly as the employees were, it was like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube. It was a real shit show.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean closing all stores does it? Admittedly, I didn't read the article.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I kinda liked that place. Never any salesman bothering you and never had to stand in line at the checkout. Didnt go there often, but i didnt mind it.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I kinda liked that place. Never any salesman bothering you and never had to stand in line at the checkout. Didnt go there often, but i didnt mind it.

Irony much? The one good thing about the Fargo store (lack of crowds) is probably the reason for bankruptcy.

- - - Updated - - -

While I'd hate for Scheels to lose some local competition to (maybe) keep them in check, I'm all for a liquidation sale. Several years back when Sportsman Warehouse closed, I got a ton of Gamakatsu 3/0 hooks for an obscene price. I'm only just now running low on them.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
I avoid fargo like the plague, the once or twice a year we are there gander is always one of my stops. this was only because it is ghost town even on Saturdays.. so, no surprise. I wont step foot in scheels on the weekend although I prefer scheels.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean closing all stores does it? Admittedly, I didn't read the article.

Correct, bankruptcy does not = closing. I doubt the Fargo store has turned a profit in years. Never understood how they've been open this long. I suspect it will be on the chopping block but their inventory may go to other stores.

onpoint!

Established Member
Purchased a Striker Climate coat last week, had a great price $159 minus some other discounts. They cancelled the order two days later. Called for an explanation, they said they're having trouble getting shipments from Striker. May be related.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gander was a good mail order company. But when they opened brick and mortar stores, they overbuilt. So did Sportsman's Warehouse. We can hope Gander either gets bankruptcy protection or maybe Amazon will buy them. Amazon ownership worked well for Acme Electric, Tool Crib of the North. Acme also built too many stores to quickly.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purchased a Striker Climate coat last week, had a great price $159 minus some other discounts. They cancelled the order two days later. Called for an explanation, they said they're having trouble getting shipments from Striker. May be related.

i got my coat. but, the amazon order for my brown/camo bibs ended up getting cancelled until next year. too bad. i really needed the bibs. not the coat. but, the coat was priced right. bibs... not so much.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I have been in Gander since Backwater Eddy passed, other than to pick up something I bought online. They stopped selling live bait and then the prices were always high. Always wondered how they made it this long.

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
My roommate actually works at Gander Mountain and he says there is no validity to this at all. All of these papers have the same unreliable source. Apparently, they are all doing well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74