Skunks....

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
So for the first time in my life last fall my dog got sprayed by a skunk. After living along the wild rice river for 5 yrs, it too moving into the middle of a section of farm land for my dog to find a fricken skunk. Any way, I tried the old tomatoe juice thing, that kinda work. Then I tried the peroxide thing, it kinda worked. Then I pulled out my scent control shampoo which seemed like it work the best (or it could have been the 1/2 case of beer and the other 2 treatments going first). Well I was able to do all that on Aug 2 (the first night after closing on the house and first night staying in the house..... is that bad luck for this house?) outside starting at 10PM. It was warm out so I could use the garden hose. No big deal other than being pissed about the skunk.

So Sunday my boys go outside to play in the bit of snow we had left.... They left the pup out an extra 30 min. Oldest lets him him and yels up at us that he smells gas. No more had the words come out of his mouth and the dog had made his way up to me. After a frenzied fit of getting the dog in the garage and gagging, I had to figure out how to clean the SOB off. So this brings me to you guys...

What is the best method you have found to clean your pup of the "skunk"?

Part 2 question, what is the best way to trap a skunk? Live trap and a specific type of bait?

Sincerely,
Burnt Nostrils

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1/4 cup baking soda 2 cups h peroxide 2 teaspoon dawn dish soap in icecream bucket warm water. stay away from eyes on dog. Worked for me on my lab. Sooner the better. Still will get a faint smell when the dog gets wet.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
we had success with Lbrandt approach. Rinse, lather, repeat. haha

- - - Updated - - -

it’s a skunk - nothing will get 100%

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had a lot of trouble with pew-kitties and this is what worked the best for me. Old car tire, get two size 1 or 1 1/2 traps tie traps to car tire, put a can of tuna or sardine inside the casing and a coupla broken eggs. Set traps in the center of tire don't have to be fancy, don't have to cover because skunk will have to crawl in there to get at inside of tire and bait. Have a long rope or wire attached to tire," trust me on this part". When you catch the skunk or coon or cat hook wire or rope to pickup or 4 wheeler pull out of yard and kill slowly to extract revenge. Skunk will crawl inside of tire to try to hide. Remove traps when you can take the smell. Live traps work but have problem getting skunks out.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a live trap to catch skunks, and then I give them a ride into town to make up for all the cats the city slickers bring out to my place. :;:muahaha

No, actually I do use live traps baited with wet catfood. A simple can of friskies buffet will bring any skunk in from miles around. Before you catch the skunk though, might I suggest tying a lengthy rope onto the live trap. Once you've caught said smelly kitty, hook the rope onto your 4-wheeler and drag it out to the execution field. They won't spray unless you're close enough to get blasted, so far anyway.

If you really want to load it up onto a pickup to take it a long ways away, you can use the blanket trick. Take an old blanket and hold it up between you and the skunk in the trap, as you get close enough, just gently lay the blanket over the trap. Again, if they can't see you, they won't spray (and if they do, the blanket will protect you. Again, transport the little fella to his demise.

Getting them out of a live trap so you don't shoot it up can be a little tricky, some will open if you put them on their side. A skunk I did this to a couple years ago just took a nap and I felt really bad about having to wake him up to evict him from the trap.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
1/4 baking soda 2 cups h peroxide 2 teaspoon dawn dish soap in icecream bucket warm water. stay away from eyes on dog. Worked for me on my lab. Sooner the better. Still will get a faint smell when the dog gets wet.

100% Best Recipe out there.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have several of the small paw traps, but no live traps. So if I get a live trap what would be a decent one? Would a skunk reach into one of those paw traps.

Paw trap I have:
paw trap.jpg

onpoint!

Established Member
+3 on the Soda/HPer/Dawn combo. i know, cuz i used it a bunch of times. Brittany decided she needed to chase them down for the last time they made her stink, and she did the same against porkies, too. so i became proficient at shampooing her and/or pulling quills.
i tried the tomato juice/paste a couple of times, but it just made her look ridiculous while stinking up the yard. i tried commercially available 'skunk wash' stuff, but it wasn't as effective. still, months after, a little rain would bring back a trace of the odor again.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the real deal bar none,shampoo if you tried the above method as doing so seals the stink into the pups coat,otherwise catch him early after getting sprayed I also have a spray bottle of skunk off that works on contact for him and my cloths. My vet carries this stuff as well,swears by it.

Thornell

Skunk-Off Pet Shampoo, 8-Ounce

[FONT=&quot]Size: 8-Ounce

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
  • Eliminate skunk odor with safe and effective Skunk Off Shampoo
  • Neutralizes odors without irritating skin or drying out coats
  • Ideal for removing skunk spray from pets, people, clothes, and even fabrics
  • Shampoo is safe for puppies and kittens over 8 weeks old
  • Available in 8-ounce size bottle

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

4.0 out of 5 stars 192 customer reviews

| 7 answered questions

Was:$9.16
You Save:

[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should have added, that I immediately washed him down with the red sauce (3 1 liter cans) and then topped that off with a thorough scrubbing of noise jammer wash. He has a small scent of skunk yet. Not sure if the noise jammer fluid will wear off. I imagine I will have to have the stuff listed above from now on hand.

1/4 baking soda, cup?

Thank you for the responses. I will be stocking up on baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and dawn dish soap.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yoby, the two I have had were from either TSC or Runnings. Basically they all tend to operate the same.

I am not sure if a skunk will get caught by that style of paw traps. I always thought those were more for coons. They might work though.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, and there's commercially available skunk shampoo. Available again at places like Runnings, etc. It is basically hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, they just charge aplenty for it. So while I know the recipe, it's just as easy to have a bottle of the stuff on the shelf for when I've needed it. Which is once over the past 3 years. El dumdum took a glancing spray to the face.

The key to removing skunk smell is to remember that the stuff is really oily, hence the dawn dish soap recommendation, and it's a sulfur (thiol) chemical smell, so chemical oxidation of it turns it into less stinky sulfur chemicals. And that's the job of the hydrogen peroxide.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. remember, if you use too much peroxide, you will have a blonde dog.

Finaddict

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I used to hunt a lot of pheasants I would keep a 5 gallon pail with the dish soap/baking soda/peroxide ingredients rubber gloves, sponges and a couple gallon jugs of water all in the pail, in my truck at all times. Would be handy, could do the clean-up in the field, and be done with it. That mixture works the best by far. Tuna Fish is great skunk bait, but marsh mellows and peanut butter work well too. Will catch the neighborhood cats too, so a live trap will preserve neighborly relationships

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Golden Marlin fly posion mixed in a dish with half a can of pop. Mix it strong like a good cupful in a dish with half can of pop. Will kill raccoons, skunks, and anything else that eats it. Be carefull of pets, yours or your neighbors. I'd have to look it up again but I think the antidote is vitamin K. Also be careful of disposing the carcass as you don't want a dead bald eagle laying out in the field next to your dead skunk. If done right they'll die with their head in the dish or not very far away and won't stink.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Golden Marlin fly posion mixed in a dish with half a can of pop. Mix it strong like a good cupful in a dish with half can of pop. Will kill raccoons, skunks, and anything else that eats it. Be carefull of pets, yours or your neighbors. I'd have to look it up again but I think the antidote is vitamin K. Also be careful of disposing the carcass as you don't want a dead bald eagle laying out in the field next to your dead skunk. If done right they'll die with their head in the dish or not very far away and won't stink.
I have heard of this concoction and the guys swear by it BUT it will kill every thing that takes a sip period.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife got something for skunk odor either from the pet store or Walmart. Put it on first and rub it in and let it set for awhile then give the pup a good bath and it is gone. Can't remember the name but it worked slicker than snot.
If you catch one in a live trap put a tarp or old blanket over it and you can carry it anywhere and not get sprayed.

I have live traps i ordered on the interweb that we made of PVC. Big pipe in the middle and metal on one end and a sliding gate on the other. They go in and trip the trigger and it closes. Grab the handle and take it to a field and open the gate and either drop them out or wait for them to crawl out themselves.
Old timer once told me about putting the blanket over a live trap and it has always worked for us. Never got sprayed using that or the PVC live trap.
Good luck

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
While you have the blanket over the live trap, run a hose from the exhaust pipe of your truck under the cover. Pretty soon the little kitty goes into a very deep sleep, most likely will never wake up. Haul it out to someplace where it will bother on one. Easy and clean.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
While you have the blanket over the live trap, run a hose from the exhaust pipe of your truck under the cover. Pretty soon the little kitty goes into a very deep sleep, most likely will never wake up. Haul it out to someplace where it will bother on one. Easy and clean.

Or stick it in your neighbors mailbox! Just kidding. Did that with a wild cat once. Priceless.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
1/4 cup baking soda 2 cups h peroxide 2 teaspoon dawn dish soap in icecream bucket warm water. stay away from eyes on dog. Worked for me on my lab. Sooner the better. Still will get a faint smell when the dog gets wet.

Skunked for the 3rd time.. will be giving your treatment a go.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction 4th time in a year

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At least its not freezing cold out so you can do it outside. Still no fun and some dogs never learn.

Brian Halse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Campcook on here used to sell a shampoo that worked really well and was pretty cheap. May want to PM him. Not sure if he still sells it or not.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75