Smoker

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I modified my cheap Char Broil, vertical charcoal smoker, Mounted a burner from an old water heater in the bottom (just the burner, jet, and short portion of piping. I have a needle valve on the outside to regulate propane. My needle valve may need to be upgraded as 1/4 turn is meltdown flames. I imagine the NG jet is too big, but probably is not replaceable. I can still put the pan for charcoal in place... Plan A is wet wood chips in that pan as dry ones made smoke . I am wondering what range of temperature I should be shooting for? How important is that water pan? Will that water pan need constant tending? I want to try this out in the shop but don't want a fire or fiasco, thinking about a fan / vent to put the smoke where I want it. Sure is fun to tinker with shit.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The water pan is to prevent stuff from drying out. When making jerky, I don't use a lot of water. When smoking a turkey or tenderloin or ????, I tend to make sure the water pan has water in it. A few times I've slacked off on it left the meat with a drier than preferred crust. Same with failing to mop the meat with something on a regular basis.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never wet down my chips anymore. As for temp range, I always shoot for 250, but sometimes will increase to 275 or 300 if I am trying to speed things up. Low and slow is best! I usually use a water pan as well, helps keep things moist (my wife loves that word...:;:thumbsup). If you went without a water pan, it wouldn't be a big deal if you open up the door and spritz with apple juice/beer/etc. But then that slows the process down.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the tip, now to slip some meat away from mama for a change.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to disappoint you Jack, whatever happened to that thread, was that here or the old site? I was hoping for a nicer day, going to smoke up some ribs in the shop this afternoon. What is the number for 911?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worm,

Safer to do it by the buddy system. Have them get their phone out and dial 9-1 and put their finger next to 1. It's all about response time!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only buddy is already set up like that outside the liquor store.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
And so it begins...

a.jpg

b.jpg

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
None for this go around, shop is a bit smoky... lol, like playing with the Harley. The shop has a chimney for a wood stove. the previous owner had a double barrel stove in there. My insurance company said it had to go... F'n insurance... Plan B is use flexible 4" dryer vent to connect to that chimney. I think guywhohasitallanddoneitall used some sort of inline fan. I wanted to make this run first. The amount of smoke has not been impressive but it seems to come out of doors more than anywhere. Maybe the resin outhouse from guywhosmokes will be plan Q, too early too tell. But the Grain Belt is cold and satisfying.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have used the inline fan with great success. With it positioned above the vent hole and blowing out the side of my shed there is zero smoke inside

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
That little bugger is very mild mannered, will sit there and wait for a treated, never climbing up or meowing. Maybe he is stoned, juanr. He does go on the occasional walk a bout, has he been to your place?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That little bugger is very mild mannered, will sit there and wait for a treated, never climbing up or meowing. Maybe he is stoned, juanr. He does go on the occasional walk a bout, has he been to your place?
I was training him to hunt, one thing led to another and we ended up pretty high.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57