Tires

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time to get new tires for my 1/2 ton. What’s everyone running that you’d recommend(or wouldn’t buy again!)?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Goodyear dura Tracs love them. Not impressed with toyo open country run them on our work trucks.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also like my bfg at ko2s. Tried others. These have never gave me a reason to bitch.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kanati trail hog a/t, drive from fargo to Devils lake all too often and lack of highway noise and/or wear is all too impressive as well as their work in snow/mud.. Price on eBay blew me away.. (Until I recommend them and stab myself in the rearend anyway..)

Disclaimer : "if" you drive lots of gravel this tire throws rocks horribly and you will have to be courteous to oncoming traffic. Slow down and/or pull over to a crawling speed unless you don't care about your brethren's windshields..

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 10-ply Hankook ATMs on my 3/4 ton. Like them so much that I wouldn't think twice about putting a 4-6 ply version on a half-ton. Cupping can be a problem with Ford's suspension if they aren't rotated regularly, I do mine every 5-7k. They aren't the cheapest option out there though.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hankooks were second on my list after 5 months of research. With out more info it’s hard to really narrow it down.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hankooks 10 Ply, noisy on highway, rock throwers but good mileage

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cooper AT3. Great in the snow and at least 50 thousand miles per change out. A lot of people might run them longer but I like a little meat on the tread for winter.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Goodyear dura Tracs love them. Not impressed with toyo open country run them on our work trucks.
What don't you like about the Toyo's? I've kind of narrowed my search to them because they seem to get good reviews and i can get a C-rated 6 ply in my size rather than a E-10ply. What rating is on the work trucks, P-rated?

I had coopers at the top of my list but i keep reading a lot of mixed reviews on them. A lot of people say they can be almost impossible to balance.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to be a pretty solid Bridgstone Revo person, still have them on my 3/4 ton and like them in the snow and on icey roads. 30-40k is about all I get out of them on the 3/4 ton. Have had sets go 50-60k on my 1/2 tons. Ended up with BFG A/T KO 2s on my half ton because they were the only 10 ply tire in the size I needed (20"s). Just about ready to change them out (will change once winter officially arrives) and I'll be really close to 70k miles on this set which is pretty impressive. With that said, they were awesome in the snow, but a little sketchy on ice. The rubber compound of the BFG quite a bit harder than the Revo's. I think the revo's rode a little nicer also.

Had Toyo Open Country's and also some Wild Country ATs back in the day. The Toyo's had decent traction but wore out faster than I could replace them on my 3/4ton (20-25k miles). The wild country's were just plainly worthless! stuck on wet grass and were shot by 30k, lesson learned! Pretty sure I'll be putting another set of BFGs on my 1/2 ton within the next month or so, that is unless Bridgstone gets their Revo 3's out soon which are supposed to be in the size I need. If they're available I might give them a go.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put Hankook ATM's on my 3/4 ton and pulling a two horse trailer could hardly keep it on the road. I remembered my best friend from high school telling me a similar story about a year earlier. Called him and those were the very same tires. He went to pick up his brand new camper right after putting the tires on. He could hardly keep it on the road either. Took it right in and told em to get those tires off and put something else on and the issue was gone. So I took mine in and they played with tire pressure and it didn't help. So they swapped the front and rears around and the issue went away. So obviously two of those tires were fubar. I couldn't rotate tires after that. Thankfully I never had to. Traded it off last spring. So if you buy Hankooks and you have this issue you'll know it isn't your truck.

- - - Updated - - -

Put Hankook ATM's on my 3/4 ton and pulling a two horse trailer could hardly keep it on the road. I remembered my best friend from high school telling me a similar story about a year earlier. Called him and those were the very same tires. He went to pick up his brand new camper right after putting the tires on. He could hardly keep it on the road either. Took it right in and told em to get those tires off and put something else on and the issue was gone. So I took mine in and they played with tire pressure and it didn't help. So they swapped the front and rears around and the issue went away. So obviously two of those tires were fubar. I couldn't rotate tires after that. Thankfully I never had to. Traded it off last spring. So if you buy Hankooks and you have this issue you'll know it isn't your truck.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What don't you like about the Toyo's? I've kind of narrowed my search to them because they seem to get good reviews and i can get a C-rated 6 ply in my size rather than a E-10ply. What rating is on the work trucks, P-rated?

I had coopers at the top of my list but i keep reading a lot of mixed reviews on them. A lot of people say they can be almost impossible to balance.

They are the 10 ply and i will have to look but think p rated. I run the duratracs on my personal pickup a half ton toyota and got 60 thousand on the set i took of and if i wasnt taking it to idaho i would have kept running them but dont want to take any chances as the roads out there will but shit to the test. On a side not if any one needs some 275 75 r18 for a couple hundred let me know.

tire tread.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to put what I don’t like. Not very good traction seem to puncture easily compared to other tires. Feel squishy when hauling with a trailer

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
my vote goes to the hankooks. ive had pretty good luck with mine. 50k out of em so far and i drive a lot of gravel. they are getting close to the end of their life tho.

i cant say i would recommend the duratracs. they do have their place in the mud. but gravel will chew threw them in no time. especially if your pulling alot. also they do not belong on ice whatsoever.
just my 2cents.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been running Falken Wildpeak AT3W's for about 13 months and 30,000 miles. Good in snow/rain, quiet, and got them for a good price relative to their size (P275/60R20).

51NujS9x0hL._SX425_.jpg

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I put Falken Wildpeaks on a 1500 silverado before selling it. Only ran the tires for about 8k, so not much to say about the wear on them. They were 10ply, so heavy for the truck, but I had 10ply on before those as well. The wildpeaks felt really hard, like feel a lot of the road hard. They also didn't seem the best on the ice, probably because they were so hard and got harder when it got cold. They did ok in the snow. I feel like they would wear good, just because of how hard they were.

I just put BFG KO2s on my 2500HD gasser. Only probably 1,500 miles on them, but they are good so far, quiet and good on the little bit of slick roads we've had already.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75