I need help finding a place to fish

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to surprise my daughter and take her out fishing tomorrow (Monday). My only choice is shore or canoe. She would really like to catch fish. I would like someplace within 50 miles of Bismarck. Any suggestions? Any fish species is ok. Just wants to catch fish. She's busy and it's hard to find time.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
well there’s always the river. Might have to go south of town a bit to catch much, but you can shore fish there. Another option is Nelson lake west of town a little ways if you want crappie or LM bass. That one would be better with a canoe.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't go in a canoe unless I went to Nelson. Water temps to cold in case u tip it over

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
OWLS pond at the Game & Fish office. They just stocked a bunch of cutthroat and rainbows in addition to all the other fish in there. My son and his buddy were there Saturday and had a blast. Live bait is allowed.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
OWLS pond at the Game & Fish office. They just stocked a bunch of cutthroat and rainbows in addition to all the other fish in there. My son and his buddy were there Saturday and had a blast. Live bait is allowed.

This would be my recommendation as well. A bobber with some worms under it or a small mepps spinner should do the trick. That or McDowel just out of town. Bluegills, bass and trout to be had out there.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go with leeches under bobbers myself.

and longline those mepps while dad paddles and paddles and paddles - ha ha

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only way to not catch fish at Owls Pond is to not fish. I take my clients there and they have a blast. They always catch something.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the help. I had to postpone the fishing trip today but will get out later this week with her. She's back from college and will be leaving for Europe in a couple of weeks. She really wants to get out fishing and catch fish. If feel bad because every time I take her out either fishing or hunting, we don't have much luck. Like last year, took her up to Sakakawea when the fishing was suppose to be good. Put on 40 miles looking for fish. We didn't catch anything.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Owls is good but the mouth of the canal at nelson is normally a sure thing with all the bluegill and crappie there to go along with the bass.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75