Boat battery recommendation?

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is probably been hashed over a million times on this site I'm sorry... I was looking at oreillys batteries and they have a super start marine group... I have a 18' fiberglass boat with a 24v 75lb thrust minnkota w/ipiolt ... And have a helix 7g2n di and helix 5 g2.

Here are the two I'm looking at..

140 min reserv cap.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...nt-battery/24dcmj/4742528?q=Deep+Cycle+&pos=1

210 reserv cap.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...nt-battery/31dcmj/4742532?q=Deep+Cycle+&pos=5

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
AGM from Fleet Farm or Sam’s. ~$160 for group 27’s. My 1st set went 6 it 7 seasons. 2nd set is starting season 5. I haven’t ever gotten more than 3 seasons out of a traditional lead-acid if any brand.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah money is a little tight right now that's why I was looking for some cheaper batteries to get me by for a year or two while I save up and then I can buy some AGM's in a year or two I just kind of need something to get me by for the rest of the season and possibly next season

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know anything about those superstart batteries but if they have a good warranty that always helps with cheap deep cycles.
Hard to beat the walmart everstarts for the price and the good warranty for cheap batteries.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Marine-Battery-Group-29DC/49988415

I went to Exide megacycles and they are beasts but are twice the money.

What the hell ever happened to Interstate anyways??
Was just in a boat the last two days with brand spanking new ones fully charged.
The one running the graphs and wells took a shit on us before noon each day.

Last edited:

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am questioning how they get 210ah out of that battery. I run a duracell ultra AGM group 31 and only get 105 ($240), the optima blue top group 31 only states 75ah ($330). From my past research those were the top 2 AGM batteries to go with, for the budget friendly batteries the exides were the best for the money. I do know the testing for amp hours is not universal across the board, so that should not be your limiting factor. exide nautilus series is about $130 and 115ah and their mega agm batterie is 200ah... I don't think they are using the same amp draws for their tests as the optima

- - - Updated - - -

oh ya, my suggestion on the cheaper side is the exide group 31, always group 31

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am questioning how they get 210ah out of that battery. I run a duracell ultra AGM group 31 and only get 105 ($240), the optima blue top group 31 only states 75ah ($330). From my past research those were the top 2 AGM batteries to go with, for the budget friendly batteries the exides were the best for the money. I do know the testing for amp hours is not universal across the board, so that should not be your limiting factor. exide nautilus series is about $130 and 115ah and their mega agm batterie is 200ah... I don't think they are using the same amp draws for their tests as the optima

- - - Updated - - -

oh ya, my suggestion on the cheaper side is the exide group 31, always group 31

Haha I thought the same thing... But you'll notice it says "reserve capacity" not amp hour... The equation to convert... RC x 0.4167 = AH.... So the 210 Rc = 87 AH :)

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just put 2 of the Wal-Mart's in. Good bang for the buck

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly I've tried quite a few different brands of batteries, but I always end up going back to the exides that Menards has a rebate on every spring. They have never done me wrong and the price is always great. Hell even when they don't have a rebate on them the price is still great. And they Outlast all others as far as usage time goes on the water.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Okay I need some help troubleshooting some stuff guys make sure I'm on the right path here...

On my 24 volt trolling motor system One battery is reading 12.7 and the other one read 12.5.... when I plugged in my trolling motor and ran it for a little bit on like number to propspeed the 12.7 battery drain down to 12.6% and the other one was 12. 5Ish.... Would it be safe to take that 12.7 battery and maybe use that as my starter battery cuz I have a feeling that my starter battery is going out to and then get two new batteries for my trolling motor?? Or think replace all 3 ...

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could replace the 2 deep cycle batteries and have 1 of the old ones tested, if it passes, use it for a starter (assuming it is a dual purpose battery). I always figure if my starter fails on the water, I can jump it from one of the others to get me home.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just want to give an update.
I put three type 31 duracell deep cycles in from batteries and bulbs "non AGM".
I am starting to wonder if my terrova battery power lights are even working right to tell you the truth.
Reason being, I have had the boat out in good winds for 8-12 hours this summer where the speed control has
been from 4-7 all day. Every day I get off the water I push the button on the terrova and it always shows all 4 bars.
I've never had any batteries even come close to this type of performance. And when they were on sale I bought 3 and
basically got one free with the rebates and core reimbursement. I believe Sams club sells these as well.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interstate SRM 27s . Get 5 years out of them every time and they are affordable . And I fish a lot . Luke every weekend may -October . I'll never buy another battery

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was told one time there are only a few battery manufacturing facilities in the us and all companies get them from them. No difference other than type/class of battery. I would look who has best warranty

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been in to many boats the last couple years with interstate batteries going dead.
I think many will agree, they used to make a good battery...used too.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bar none, these are some of the best batteries you can buy.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/Power-Boats_c_35.html

I used to run into some voltage issues after a day running three graphs, the radio, the live well and other misc stuff. After trying two of the largest group 31s from two different mainstream big name batteries, I gave these a shot before going to a dedicated house battery separate from my starting batteries. Now on my second season and haven’t had a voltage issues since. FYI, I installed a XTR12-155 with 155ah, 350 min RC, and 1150 MCA. It’s a beast of a battery. They’ll be getting High consideration when I replace my interstate trolling batteries.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve also heard very good things about Trojan Batteries. Who knew they could make batteries too, lol .

Last edited:

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been in to many boats the last couple years with interstate batteries going dead.

I agree. Interstate batteries suck balls in my experience. Have had the walmart type for years now and no problems. Seems like the interstate ones lose fluid somehow. I guess every one gets lemons too!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

I just had mine go bad. Luckily it did not interrupt the fishing too bad, but still a hassle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76