Soft water is started

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Done with ice fishing. Two outings out in the boat and damn it felt good.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out floating the boat the last 6 days about 12 hours a day and it felt very very good. #$%^&> :;:cheers

colum 2018 release.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How far south did you have to pull it. Land looks really brown in the back ground.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard there where boats on the river by Stanton a week or so ago already, I didn't see it myself but seems reasonable. Still gonna be a while around Bismarck i think, plus this snow is going to make it muddy once the melt starts.

I still have some ice fishing to do around ND and a trip to Winnipeg yet, so i hope the river holds of for a few more weeks.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn't care less about your guys' ice fishing season. Lakes will have ice on them for quite a while yet. The river can open up at any point. And 5575, that trip to the Columbia looks amazing. Bucket list item for sure.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard there where boats on the river by Stanton a week or so ago already, I didn't see it myself but seems reasonable. Still gonna be a while around Bismarck i think, plus this snow is going to make it muddy once the melt starts.

I still have some ice fishing to do around ND and a trip to Winnipeg yet, so i hope the river holds of for a few more weeks.

Now why would you have to go and hope the Missouri stays frozen, just to you can ice fish elsewhere? That's plain mean. Because you're not ready to fish the river, you don't want anyone else to go and catch your fish?

I'm kidding, kinda, but not really.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

So your the guy that wants to drain the lake when you leave and fill it back up when you return.;)

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not that i want the river to stay frozen, but it does really suck when a guy is on a trip to Winnipeg or a ski trip to MT in March and the river opens up early and people are hammering walleye in your backyard. First world Bismarck problems, I want my spring hobbies to line up perfectly dammit!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not that i want the river to stay frozen, but it does really suck when a guy is on a trip to Winnipeg or a ski trip to MT in March and the river opens up early and people are hammering walleye in your backyard. First world Bismarck problems, I want my spring hobbies to line up perfectly dammit!

I, for one, know how bad Big Sky sucks in the spring. Hate it. And I can imagine how tough it is to struggle through a Lake Winnipeg trip. You have my shoulder to cry on.

Dude..

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
How is the tailrace ramp?
It's been good. It's get bad when the idiots start coming that won't let the trailer drain before they pull up the ramp. Watched a fancy sparkley ranger dude back down the ramp and skidded all the way down. He panicked and got pretty excited. I had to chuckle a bit. It doesn't seem too silted in.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been good. It's get bad when the idiots start coming that won't let the trailer drain before they pull up the ramp. Watched a fancy sparkley ranger dude back down the ramp and skidded all the way down. He panicked and got pretty excited. I had to chuckle a bit. It doesn't seem too silted in.
Don’t chuckle too much. I’ll be that guy in a sparkly ranger next weekend if I hve my way. Key thing is to keep those tires straight. I’ve puckered up plenty of times

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t chuckle too much. I’ll be that guy in a sparkly ranger next weekend if I hve my way. Key thing is to keep those tires straight. I’ve puckered up plenty of times
Throw a spade in the pickup. There is a sand pile at the top of the ramp, throw a little down and it makes a huge difference.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw a spade in the pickup. There is a sand pile at the top of the ramp, throw a little down and it makes a huge difference.
I buy those big bags of sand at menards for $3 a piece each winter. One usually meets its demise for boat ramp traction.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never will understand why you tailrace guys don't invest in a roll of chains that you can put down in the spring when this ice crap is a problem and then roll it back up when it's not needed. Seems you fight this ice every spring and every fall. Twould be a good agenda item for the G&F to spend some of that increased tag money on that would actually do some sportsmen some good. Quote "Safety" and you might just get what you need. Just a thought. Tight Lines Everyone!!!

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never will understand why you tailrace guys don't invest in a roll of chains that you can put down in the spring when this ice crap is a problem and then roll it back up when it's not needed. Seems you fight this ice every spring and every fall. Twould be a good agenda item for the G&F to spend some of that increased tag money on that would actually do some sportsmen some good. Quote "Safety" and you might just get what you need. Just a thought. Tight Lines Everyone!!!

this is one of the best ideas ive heard in a long time.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
March 11 ---- go for it boys ----- i figure about July 25 I get front row parking at the boat ramps. About then some SA will be posting about i wish it was hard water.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67