Video games and violence

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://beta.techcrunch.com/2018/03...-wrong-in-the-90s-and-its-twice-as-wrong-now/
There is no correlation between gun violence and video games
A decade ago laser tag was at its peak in popularity that is as close to human interaction as you can get pointing a plastic gun at someone chest to watch the light flash saying your dead was a real adrenaline rush when I first played it. Just like paintball games which I played back in 1994
The law needs to do thier job plain and simple also the media needs to give less attention to these sick individuals.
Video games and violence is not the probmem it's wasn't back in the 90s and it is not now.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The American Pediatrics Association, and the American Medical Association disagree with you. The author of the Assasination Generation was on the Ingram Angle tonight and it was unanimous on her panel discussion that violent video was the number one cause of violence for the school shooters. Some who knew these school shooters describe them as addicted to violent video games. The consensus on FOX tonight was that the debate is over.

Back in 1994 you didn't see your buddies head explode. You didn't pick up hooked, have sex with them, stab them to death, throw them out of the car, then get extra points for your violence so urinate on her, pour gasoline on her, set her on fire, and say burn bitch. The industry self rating lets kids way to young play this game. Time to set real age limits.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The American Pediatrics Association, and the American Medical Association disagree with you. The author of the Assasination Generation was on the Ingram Angle tonight and it was unanimous on her panel discussion that violent video was the number one cause of violence for the school shooters. Some who knew these school shooters describe them as addicted to violent video games. The consensus on FOX tonight was that the debate is over.

Back in 1994 you didn't see your buddies head explode. You didn't pick up hooked, have sex with them, stab them to death, throw them out of the car, then get extra points for your violence so urinate on her, pour gasoline on her, set her on fire, and say burn bitch. The industry self rating lets kids way to young play this game. Time to set real age limits.

Millions upon millions of kids and adults play those video games worldwide. Where’s the correlating rise in mass shootings in all the other countries where these video games are just as widespread? The AMA represents the medical and scientific fields in the same way Benny Hinn represents Christianity.

:;:sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Before you trash the guy, look at his body of work. I’ve listened to hours and hours of his lectures. Great stuff.

https://youtu.be/GYua-3JmnT4

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blaming video games for these shootings is like blaming spoons for making people fat. There has been violence in video games since the mid 90s that is a fact. Poor parenting and lack of church/faith is way more to blame than anything else.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
ETA: I do tightly restrict what my kids watch and play, and they won’t be getting into the bloodbath games. This isn’t a defense of video games. Garbage in, garbage out. I’m simply pointing out that it’s a bad argument with no merit. It’s a straw man, put up because it’s an easy target, much easier than talking about the REAL reasons behind mass killings.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not going to say there is a definitive here BUT I can speak for myself a bit. I don't play video games very often, just a couple titles here and there since the ps3/4 era. I think they are fun and nice to pass some time on the rare occasion free time and possibly shitty weather make a guy want to hang on the couch for awhile. Anyway I'm not sure how anyone could say there is no effect at all. I consider myself a pretty regular I guess, I don't think anyone is "normal" but I've never been diagnosed with anything or been told I might need to get checked so I I'll stick with "pretty regular" guy. Any my point is the times I've put more than an hour or two in from of some of these games I can definitely feel the effect. Not violence, or even thoughts of it but sleep isn't the same and you can't help but have a bit less focus on what is in front of you. Now most importantly that in no way causes a person to do anything, violent, criminal, or otherwise. However consider the very time many if these guys spend soaking themselves in some of these games. It's mindblowing. For the average person that considers themselves a "gamer" 24 hours nonstop is still pretty amateur. If any human could focus on a productive endeavor for that kind of time day after day they would be rich or famous or revolutionary in whatever field they chose to take up. In the case of video games it's easy for tens of millions of just Americans to stay locked in like that. Name another stimuli that can claim such human obsession, I don't think I can. Meth maybe, and I don't even know if tweakers can pull of the numbers that gamers can. Now I'm usually among the first to say that this sort of this doesn't cause anyone to do anything heinous, but consider that powerful of a stimuli in a person/brain that's medically speaking irregular/maladjusted/medicated/overly-medicated and we very well could have a serious complication. At the end of the day certain people shouldn't be using certain stimuli, they are unable to handle/process it in a way most can. Mental heath issue, not necessarily a video game issue.

Last edited:

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear what you are saying, but again comes down to parenting. I played video games growing up, but that was in between being outside with buddies doing whatever, hunting and fishing, holding down a job since I was 14, and chasing skirt. Guess what, I damn sure know right from wrong. If kids (and not saying yours) are inside constantly glued to the tv or computer whether it be video games, movies, social media, etc.. crack the damn whip and get them outside. Make them get a job. Kick their ass haha. Blaming video games is just another excuse.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh for sure, we have video games but they pretty much gather dust around here. Outside things get in the way, usually sports and those takeover indoors as well. I’m talking mixing obsessive playing with a brain that cant handle the separation, or one with very little self awareness(pretty common) Not an exclusive factor but I’m leaning towards a contributing factor. Also let’s not act like the majority playing are kids, it’s adults. At least adult age range.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blaming video games for these shootings is like blaming spoons for making people fat. There has been violence in video games since the mid 90s that is a fact. Poor parenting and lack of church/faith is way more to blame than anything else.

This!!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not all people turn into school shooters, but not all people are normal and some react badly. Even those don't act out their aggression, but many are more aggressive for a day or so after gaming for hours. How do they know? They do brain scans while people are gaming. The frontal lobs where reason resides are not that stimulated, but the middle portion of the brain where reaction occurs is stimulated. Science has identified what portions of the brain process different functions. The middle portion is not rational, but the same as an animal brain. During WWII it's estimated only 27% of soldiers fired their weapon at someone. WWII was higher, I can't remember the number. However, currently they use the same type of videos our kids play to train soldiers. They have identified that only 2% of people have the capacity to kill. There is a mechanism built into our brain to keep us from destroying each other. The person who wrote the book I was reading is a retired Lt Col. army. He says military psychologists have shown them of all the training they do that flipping the switch on that resistance to use a weapon against someone is the most important. Current soldiers use their weapon in an area of conflict 95% of the time. Back to the brain scans. Following gamers for years they find that those who start at a very young age stimulating the middle portion of the brain have a less developed forward cortex.
Often preschool children have not yet developed social skills and get sent home from school 3.8 times more often than any other grade. They interviewed 38 thousand parents before their children went to pre school. They asked simple questions to put parents at ease. For example they asked what's your childs favorite TV show. They could find no correlation with these young people. Nearly by accident years later as they are again searching to find why some of thee kids were violent with their little peers they found a correlation they were not looking for. Those kids were watching violence in their cartoons. If a parent isn't present with a kid to tell them right from wrong they learn from what they watch. Brains in small children learn much faster than you and I. They are like sponges and everything is taken in as a learning experience.
I don't have that much respect for the old psychologists that had no real data they could put their fingers on to say this is why little Johnny has problems. Today with brain scans outside stimuli can be tracked right to the portion of the brain that processes different stimuli. An adult can watch the same program as a child and different areas of the brain react. What has little to no effect on an 18 year old does affect a six year old. When you take one of those 2% who would have no problem shooting at a person and sit him at the gaming screen for six to ten hours a day for ten years problems occur. Only slightly in many, but of more affect in a few. It's a numbers game, but those extreme few are going to get liberals taking away the rights of many. The first mass school shooting occurred in 1975 and are increasing. Does anyone have a better answer?

Edit: I would expect everyone one here to think to themselves it hasn't bothered me, or it hasn't bothered my kids. We would have to have maybe 10,000 people on this site and that one would have to be honest to say "ya I would like to shoot someone". Don't think everyone is as normal as you are. Take that one and set him in front of Grand Theft Auto for ten hours a day for a number of years and you will have a person who can't wait to see a real head explode. We would see that in most cases as a slight uptick in the murder rate. Maybe not in Chicago.

Last edited:

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
the oldest guy on this site is not only the self proclaimed voice of hunters but also the self appointed expert on video games. what a wild world we live in. gonna fire up the ps4 today and shoot some people. hope I don't lose my marbles.

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
the oldest guy on this site is not only the self proclaimed voice of hunters but also the self appointed expert on video games. what a wild world we live in. gonna fire up the ps4 today and shoot some people. hope I don't lose my marbles.

I’m amazed you guys don’t see the effects of video games in society. Everyone blames guns for these deaths. A gun is a tool plain and simple. A gun doesn’t invoke people to do bad things. But yet a video game which kids or adults sit in front of hours on end replaying violent behaviors is simply ok? You guys 25-60 maybe fine playing video games without repercussions but your brains aren’t developed. A developing brain shown those images for hours on end I think is 10000% worse then a accual firearm.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe you already have. :::

Seriously, have you read anything scientific about brain development and the things that affect it?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have age restrictions on all games that are sold, it comes down to parental supervisions job to restrict what is and isn't allowed. As an independent voter I want less government regulations when it comes to what is allowed in American homes.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have age restrictions on all games that are sold, it comes down to parental supervisions job to restrict what is and isn't allowed. As an independent voter I want less government regulations when it comes to what is allowed in American homes.
No they don't have age restrictions. They have ratings, but they have no law enforcing those ratings. Also, the ratings are made up by the industry that produces the videos. What people are going for now is ratings by society not the fox in the hen house approach.
Psychology years ago was not scientific. With MRI and other ways to watch which part of the brain lights up with specific stimuli it is becoming more scientific each year. Today they have artificial intelligence that is spooky in it's ability to closely understand what you are thinking and even what you have seen. Scary crap. Anyway as backup to wildlife biology I received a degree in education. My intent was not to actually teach because I wanted to work in biology. So I took as many psychology classes as I could that counted towards a secondary education degree. If I was going to teach I wanted it to be biology. I thought if I don't teach the psychology will help me in dealing with people in my profession.
Anyway, adults have learned to suppress aggression because they know it's not socially or even legal to go around punching people like a kindergarten kid may do. However, they do things that identify them for you. Do you remember Don Rickles? He was a smart guy he learned to turn his aggression into a career. He could say things to people that irritated him and they all wrote it off as humor. They thought to themselves what a clever guy. Psychology professors will tell you many comedians are the most troubled people. In Don Rickles case he was the king of put downs. Adults suppressing depression can hide their physical aggression, but it is manifest as put downs. They revert from the physical to the psychological form of kicking you in the nuts. If they do it long enough they are accepted as clever people by those who actually don't have a hint whats going on. If you play these games pay attention to your behavior and feelings after a couple of hours. It affects our soldiers when they live fire at targets with actually human pictures on them. I think so far this type of practice is experimental. I know we have done it twice in law enforcement. Score for most people always goes down until you are told why your missing. They did put up a picture where all our scores went up, but I'm not going to divulge that.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO they can have all the "experts" they want to say whatever they want, much like the global warming debate and others it's easy to find an "expert" to support or defend your side of the debate. That's like saying soldiers shouldn't have PSD when they come back from war. You can't tell me that some kid with perhaps an already existing mental issue playing Manhunt or Splatterhouse 4-5 hours a day isn't going to have some type of effect on them. When these killers write or talk about racking up the kill count or getting the highest score WTF do people think they are referring to?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
index.jpg

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe you already have. :::

Seriously, have you read anything scientific about brain development and the things that affect it?

P-A-R-E-N-T-I-N-G

Lets be better at it. If a game has a mature rating dont let your 8 year old kid play. Simple stuff folks

- - - Updated - - -

or lets just start banning stuff, and writing more laws.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx
Just like movies as far as I know they have a rating on them, if a parent doesn't control what a child is doing under thier own home. It shouldn't be anyone else fault but the parents,
Pg I agree with your post 100% it still comes down to common sense, the advancement in MRI scans have shown that exposure to gaming can heighten certain areas of the brain but we all know that there is laws that are enforced when it comes to drug and alcohol. So why does everyone want our govermnet to take away a choice as to what someone should do in thier home when we all know that over doing something can be a serious problem for some.
The Macdonald Triad written in 1963 shows three distinct signs that someone is predisposed to a narrsistic disturbing behavior
1 torture and mutilation of animals2 bed wetting 3 arson
www.medicaldaily.com/macdonald-tria...ldhood-behaviors-predict-serial-killer-243106
Pg do you beleive that this study done in 1963 still has scientific evidence to be considered facts?
Violent video games is not one of these there is no scientific evidence research that can give an absolute proof that children who are exposed to violent video games will shoot up public places.
It still comes down to parental interaction with thier children and providing them with a healthy lifestyle.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your right Lunker there is no proof they will shoot up anywhere. There is however proof that those children playing violent games become violent in varying degrees ranging from speech to murder.

Also your right they do have ratings, but established by the industry and those ratings ate a joke, and have no enforcement. They should have a rating by interests outside the industry with special attention to brain development by age. People who are more violent because of these games have no way to judge themselves. Those on here that say "it didn't hurt me" are perhaps bat shit crazy and have not been diagnosed. Everyone sees themselves as normal no matter how out of touch they are. Domler may or may not have thought it was perfectly normal to eat people. It's dependent on his level of delusion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66