devils lake bug hatch

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it comes to live bait, I'm a leach guy. However, during bug hatches crawlers seem to outfish leaches. I've always thought their protein/scent is closer to mayflys than a leach. In the past when I've seen bug hatches in July, if you fish more on the mud than on the rocks, you usually do better.

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
What kind of bug hatch on DL have you noticed? I've been up there every weekend for the past month and haven't noticed anything. I've been pulling cranks from 25' to 30' deep and haven't noticed any dropoff in the fishing.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the Fourth, all my walleyes were full of mayflies. Caught them in 32ft on a rock pile transition.

grizzly

Established Member
What kind of bug hatch on DL have you noticed? I've been up there every weekend for the past month and haven't noticed anything. I've been pulling cranks from 25' to 30' deep and haven't noticed any dropoff in the fishing.
we were up there last week and the mayflies were all over in the water where ever we went, the guides we talked with were talking about it also. when we cleaned fish there stomach was black and full of them

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member

As of about 2 days ago, mosquitos, goddam mosquitos everywhere

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
I was last there on Sunday and didn't notice a single mayfly on the surface or any mosquitos and it was almost calm for much of the day. The walleyes stomachs were full of something black but I couldn't identify what it was and I didn't give it too much thought because it's not uncommon for the walleyes' stomachs to be full of bugs or shrimp on DL. I guess they must have been full of mayflies that day the way it sounds. Full stomachs or not, they still attacked crankbaits.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75