Walleye wings

Fish Wing ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you cut out the fish wings when you clean your fish? I have been to a couple resorts on LOW where they cut these out of our fish and fried them up for us as appetizers. So I decided on Tuesday to cut them out of the fish we caught.

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that the collars? I cut them out from time to time. Good eats, kinda has that "chicken" texture that the cheeks have just stuck to the bone.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes the part from the pectoral fins up to the throat. The title for the poll is Fish wing?

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every time! (Cheeks too). Lots of meat and they're a great novelty food!! The older I get - the more important it's become for me to take everything possible from the critters I kill. I know - strange - but it's the truth. Besides that - there never seems to be any left over!!

HolePuncher

I take pride in my fish filleting. Yes it takes more time, but also gives me the opportunity to help others learn the art.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely, lots of good eats there that tend to get left. Showed a guy at the cleaning station this past weekend actually.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard them called 'walleye shrimp'....but like the 'wings' better. Another way we prepare them (along with the cheeks) is to remove the fins do a quick fry and mix in alfredo sauce to make walleye alfredo fettuccine.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can eat the actual fins BTW (and I do) - they taste like tater chips - fantastic

- - - Updated - - -

makes me wonder about the tail

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
We called them Canadian Shrimp, have not done in a long time. Never have cut out the collars, always forget. Tails are tasty!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
go "good n crispy" if you do this - anything else causes disappointment (due to low oil temps etc)

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some sotan showed me they called them frogs....I called them waste of time but they were pretty decent

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Just had about 8 of them this week call them shrimp though. Very tasty some good meat being wasted if your not taking these,very easy to cut out batter and deep fry. Waste of time but if they are 17'' they are not .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57