for you pickup mechanics out there

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just getting an opinion from your pick up mechanics out there. Here's the situation:

About 3 weeks ago I noticed a slight "ticking" in my truck (2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with 100k miles). Figured lifters since it wouldn't disappear when warm (like happens with an exhaust). Also noticed a slight lack of power. Tried some SeaFoam in the crankcase for a few days. No change. Tried Seafoam and premium gas. No change. Took it in to local dealership and they said I needed new lifters and maybe camshaft at $3500. I didn't like that answer with no other options given, so took it for a 2nd opinion. They kind of said the same thing, but said I could try new plugs first. Put new plugs in, changed oil, put in Rislone.....no change. Was pulling the boat last weekend and my check engine light finally came on while under load and flashed and dinged a couple times and then went off. Truck was shaking and very little power. Was able to get the truck and boat back home with no further problems, but wasn't pushing it hard either. Went to read the code and it was a P0305 (cylinder 5 misfire). Took the truck to the 2nd shop again and they said they did a compression test which was normal. Said they also switched out plug coils to a different cylinder and no change. They are still telling me it's likely I need a new engine or new lifters and camshaft. They don't think there are any other options besides a very expensive fix (or trading it in). Any thoughts from anyone? Is there other things to try? Take it somewhere else for a 3rd opinion?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regrettably, I think you have your answer. All they did was confirm your own initial suspicions.

Tough pill to swallow, but unless someone else chimes in I would think you were right all along.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a chevy that ticked for 100k miles --- it never threw a rod and i sold it.

- - - Updated - - -

put some tranny oil in er -- run it for a while and then change oil and trade

- - - Updated - - -

buy a toyota

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a chevy that ticked for 100k miles --- it never threw a rod and i sold it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

buy a toyota

If it was just the tick, I'd live with it. However, losing power too. Probably wouldn't even be able to pull my camper or boat with it with the lack of power.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will almost bet you my next paycheck your catalytic converters are about plugged. Those are the exact same symptoms we had on several trucks in our fleet I used to work on. Threw all kinds of cylinder miss codes and ran horrible. Very low on power. Finally took to dealer and it took them a very long time to ascertain it was the cats. I would check that out for sure. The ticking is from excessive exhaust back pressure.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You made it to 100k with a Dodge without any major issues...consider yourself lucky. Mine dropped a tranny at 40k, I have a family member that is on their 3rd tranny with a 2014 2500, still not even at 100k.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will almost bet you my next paycheck your catalytic converters are about plugged. Those are the exact same symptoms we had on several trucks in our fleet I used to work on. Threw all kinds of cylinder miss codes and ran horrible. Very low on power. Finally took to dealer and it took them a very long time to ascertain it was the cats. I would check that out for sure. The ticking is from excessive exhaust back pressure.

my daughters car did the same thing ----- yup i bet eye you nailed it.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

Funny I had the same issue. My one and only Dodge was a 99. Thought ten years they would have fixed the problem.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it only misfires on 1 cylinder it is not a catalytic converter concern. The 5.7 are known for faulty lifters that wear the camshaft. The engines normally have compression with a faulty lifter, the valves normally stay closed with a faulty lifter. I think the shops are on the right track.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just checked with my buddy who has a lot of experience with Dodge motors...his response:

"I would pull the valve cover, rotate the engine by hand and measure the valve travel (easy to do) will verify if the problem is in the cam or lifter (You can compare travel with another cylinder). Once determined and repaired change oil. Dodge has a sensor on some of there models that will act up and cause problems if you use anything other than the recommend oil viscosity (normally 5W20) adding seafoam will change the viscosity.
I would find another shop, you should be able to buy quality aftermarket cam, lifters and timing components for under $200.00.
Would have to check flat rate manual but most V8 Cam jobs are 6-10 hrs. That would make their labor rate over $300 per hr"

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The next time the check engine light comes on it will probably show a different cylinder misfiring if it's the cat. It just jumps around to different cylinders every time it comes on.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I knew more about vehicles. Im sitting here reading all these responses and am thinking "I know where the gas goes..that's good right?"

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
why do some guys feel its ok to fuck others out of their hard earned money? Man up and take the lumps when problems arise don't pawn them off on other people.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our work truck is a 2012 dodge ram 2500, one of the employees has a 1500 dodge with the same engine. Another person I know has a dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 with almost 200000 miles on a 2006. The 2012 work truck has had three cams put in from letting in idle for long periods of time. I guess dodges 5.7 has poor oil pressure while its at idle. It does make a guy think if there is a recall on the cam malfunction due to a manufactur defect. It's too bad about that motor since it was built to take a lot of abuse at least the earlier years before 2009 upgrade. With all these emissions restrictions on these engines its no wonder they have problems with the cams. The variable camshaft timing is all about controlling something that is built with perfection. A hemispheric head is as effeciant of internal combustion engine can be. It's too bad in the year 2018 they are discontinuing the 5.7
Fix it cheap and sell it fast let someone else deal with a lemon good luck

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a cam lifter issue around 09-10 on the 5.7 hemi which sounds like your issue but the dealer fixing it for $3500 is crazy, it is a simple fix find a mechanic you trust and throw the updates parts in her and run her for another 250K. It is not a life or death issue for the engine at all. A good do it yourselfer can do the repair in a weekend. Not too complex.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem is why does it cost $3,500 to replace cam/lifters, top end stuff, etc.

You can buy complete crate motors for about that.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
So it takes them 20-30 hours to change a cam? I understand what you're saying.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75