Cooler Advice

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I am sure this has been discussed here a million times, but give me a break I am fairly new here! Anyway I am in search of a new cooler. I am not willing to drop over $200 on cooler but there should be something good in the $200 and under category. I like the latching device on a lot of the more expensive coolers, as it could prevent the kids from flinging the lid open every 2 minutes. I was considering one from RTIC, but it says it wouldnt come till August.

So any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeti is a little out of your price range but they do make their own ice so you will be money ahead in the long run.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
RTIC is a Yeti knock off, in fact I believe they have been sued as the coolers are virtually identical, but 50% less cost.

This is the way I would go. I think Runnings stocks them.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coleman xtreme.... Just got back from 7 full days in Idaho. Still ice when i dumped it out last night. Put everything in cold with a couple 1/2 gallon blocks of ice, filled the rest with good fridge ice. Oh and it has wheels so you can actually move the effin thing.

I might spring for an RTIC one of these days, but refuse to ever buy a yeti product.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Coleman xtreme are real good, I have 2 and they will keep ice all weekend and then some even on super hot days.

mmanske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up an igloo sportsman at sams for 179 and am verry happy with it. It keeps ice very well and has some nice features

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wall Mart and Scheels both have Yeti knock offs. Wallmarts are a little cheaper, Scheels is nicer depending what size your looking for either should do.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two of my coworkers ordered (and waited plenty long) for RTIC coolers, but they're both very pleased with them. Saving 50% covers the hurt of waiting a month or however long...

That being said, this (gift from my kids) is on my desk right now, and I likes... Yeti Mug.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's how a buddy of mine solved the cool cooler dilemma:

IMG_1727.jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 of the Colman xtream marine ones and like them both. They are white so they don't absorb a lot of heat from the sun. I get a 20lb bag of ice to last about 3 to 4 days. It sits in the back of my pickup all summer and I'm in and out of it at least 15 times a day.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an RTIC 45 and LOVE it! Works great but it is heavy even when empty. Put a couple big blocks in the day before I fill it then throw those back in the freezer when I get ready to go. Fits a 30 pack of Busch DeLights and a 20lb bag of ice, fills it to the top. Keeps ice for 4 days no problem, even when restocking.

I had a hard time pulling the trigger on it but picked it up on sale this past winter for $139 and don't regret it at all. Ordered the divider for it as I thought is looked pretty slick(haven't used it yet). When they showed up RTIC messed up and sent me the basket instead. I called and the lady laughed, and apologized. She sent the divider with no shipping charges or extra cost and told me to keep the basket. I have used the basket and that is pretty handy. Can fit 4 crawler/leech containers in it easily.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an RTIC 45 and LOVE it! Works great but it is heavy even when empty. Put a couple big blocks in the day before I fill it then throw those back in the freezer when I get ready to go. Fits a 30 pack of Busch DeLights and a 20lb bag of ice, fills it to the top. Keeps ice for 4 days no problem, even when restocking.

I had a hard time pulling the trigger on it but picked it up on sale this past winter for $139 and don't regret it at all. Ordered the divider for it as I thought is looked pretty slick(haven't used it yet). When they showed up RTIC messed up and sent me the basket instead. I called and the lady laughed, and apologized. She sent the divider with no shipping charges or extra cost and told me to keep the basket. I have used the basket and that is pretty handy. Can fit 4 crawler/leech containers in it easily.

I'd rather see whats going on behind the walleye

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Coleman extreme and igloo coolers and am impressed with them. If I use a couple blocks of ice and put everything in chilled I can get 6 to 7 days out of the ice that went into it. And yes someday I'd like to try one of them fancy coolers but not until my others are destroyed.

MULEDEER

Established Member
True value has the orcas on sale right now I bought the 26 quart the middle size one. It was $230 marked down to $199 and you also get a $40 true value gift card. Thought I would try a higher end cooler this seems like an ok deal

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i view my yeti's as tools, and with them i always buy the best i can afford - has served me well...

my first was a 65, and has been used thousands of times in the last 10 years... would not sell it for what i paid for it 10 years ago... the 20 roady - the same... i hope they buck the trend of going cheaper when the competition catches up... if they do, the earlier and current ones will b viewed like a pre 64 model 70 some day... my great grandkids will b fighting over them...

one other consideration when shopping would b to try to determine who is still gonna b around in 2 or 3 decades, and still has replacement parts if you think there are some weak links...

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabelas Polar Cap. I have the 40 qt and love it. I believe Field & Stream conducted an experiment with all the top coolers and Cabelas outperformed the Yeti..............for half the price.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76