Internet Sales Tax

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just seen the article that ND will start taxing online sales starting October 1st. On one hand, I think it needs to happen to keep money in the state, even though an increase in tax revenue will not likely decrease our own taxes (property, income, etc.). The other hand is pissed considering I can't find 95% of the items I use for painting in town.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
the outcome of this new law --- imo can be very disturbing -- interstate commerce laws in my opinion could be affected as we go along this route.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This won't lower our taxes it will just allow he government to spend even more money.

Dirty Mike you will just have to pass the cost on to the consumers!

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
A long time a-coming. Good for revenues of the state, and extra good for the local businesses that are trying to survive. Support your local ma and pa stores!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its kind of a bummer, but in reality its only fair. As more retail shifts to online sales it needed to happen. I got plenty of tax free stuff online while the gettin was good :D

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yay!! More taxes!! This surely will stop people from shopping online! Of course the state wants those tax dollars, which is great because that means more colorful colored crosswalks in ND towns. Hooray!

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked a representative the other day what they planned on doing with that money. He said I don't know I suppose the same thing we do with all sales tax money. I asked if the state needs the money right now. He looked at me with sort of blank look on his face for a couple seconds and then said you know some of that sales tax money comes back to the local communities. I said that's fine as long as the state and communities need the money right now but I don't think they do. I'd be okay with this as long as every penny of the sales tax collected went to property tax relief but it won't, unless there's another initiated measure to do so and I think more people would be in favor of it this time.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it's crap too. Good for the mom and pop stores? Depends upon who you talk to. I work for a small swimming pool supply store in Bismarck. Family owned. As "mom and pop" as you can possibly be. Second generation owner, etc. People buy aboveground swimming pools from Target, Lowes, Menards, Sam's and Walmart. Hard to compete against those big box stores. Then when they have problems, and need something, you can imagine the help they receive from the places they bought from.

Not a lot of swimming pools in ND, so a lot of our business is further south, or at least in bigger metro areas. This new tax issue is a major stumbling block. Further, the laws are currently unclear, so we have to "get ready for changes" but we don't know what those changes are going to be. Some pending legislation dictates that the tax may or may not apply, until you hit a certain (low) threshold of either shipment quantities or sales dollars.

So, my two cents is no thanks.

That, and the extra revenue apparently doesn't have a current home, so I can't imagine it getting put to a valuable use.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked a representative the other day what they planned on doing with that money. He said I don't know I suppose the same thing we do with all sales tax money. I asked if the state needs the money right now. He looked at me with sort of blank look on his face for a couple seconds and then said you know some of that sales tax money comes back to the local communities. I said that's fine as long as the state and communities need the money right now but I don't think they do. I'd be okay with this as long as every penny of the sales tax collected went to property tax relief but it won't, unless there's another initiated measure to do so and I think more people would be in favor of it this time.

All property tax? Commercial and residential?

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
On one hand I don't like overseas sales and generally east and west coast sales getting a free pass when they ship online but like you guys said is the money going to help the state as a whole? I bet Fargo will enjoy it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The other thing was that when asked how the tax commissioner was going to monitor or audit for compliance--- he said we will audit companies that advertise online sales to ND residents. The amazons, cabelas etc have complied a long time ago. What about the little or big for that matter chinese store shipping into ND. Another words compliance will be sporatic and hurt only those companies that obey the law.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The way I see it our law makers will find some stupid way of pissing it away instead of doing good. Someone pork barrel fund is going to get fatter.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A long time a-coming. Good for revenues of the state, and extra good for the local businesses that are trying to survive. Support your local ma and pa stores!

The thing is I already try to buy locally if it is available. Most of the stuff I buy on-line is unavailable locally so I would be almost exclusively filling other state's coffers. I get the premise, but I don't know if it will help ND all that much.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think you will be filling our coffers. no? if its purchased online here from an out of state vendor and shipped here, the tax would go here. are is that not how it will work? haven't been following this.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think you will be filling our coffers. no? if its purchased online here from an out of state vendor and shipped here, the tax would go here. are is that not how it will work? haven't been following this.[/QUOTE
You are probably correct.

That brings up the previous question of where the "New" tax is headed? I suppose it will need a whole new gaggle of "officials" to collect a good portion of it(salary) in order to dole it out to the "right" places?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We in Little Minneapolis will collect it and then distribute it with great fairness.

You’re welcome.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND law says 200 items or 100k ---- I dont see that in the SD law-- i have to admit i have not looked that close at SD

a. Company that sells a 10 dollar item (crank bait) -- i order 200 different orders throughout the year--- they take in 2000 grand plus postage-- they are subject to collect the tax in ND--- whoopee a whole $100 or so (city/cnty tax) in taxes collected.

b. A Company sells Lowrance super duper 26" screen - has everything on it sonar for 10k a piece - makes 9 sales into to a ND resident - doesnt collect a bit of tax.

- - - Updated - - -

or for that matter the ND law

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82