Boat trailer issue

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m my 2nd year of boat ownership and while I’ve learned and worked out the bugs on my used boat I don’t know squat about trailers. The tire on one side was worn pretty good when I got the outfit. I didn’t think a whole lot about it and just went ahead and got two new tires(single axle trailer) since I had no how old they were. Here I am with under 2000 miles on the new trees and both are worn through the tread on the inside of the tire.

my question is, is this a fairly easy adjustment and where would you recommend I take it? Does the boat have to off the trailer to do the work and if so how the heck does that work? I live in Bismarck if that helps with advice on where to go.

thanks.

eliminator

Honored Member
I believe if you take it to dakota wheel alignment( i think that is the name) they can align your trailer. Sounds out of alignment to me. The use to be located west of the truckstop on the east exit of Bismarck. Maybe someone else can point you to the right ones. Don't have to have the boat off the trailer.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It sounds like your axle is bent, either from being overloaded or the previous owner hitting something with it when they were pulling the trailer.

I think you should spend a little time laying under it and looking at everything to see what's worn or bent before you take it to the shop to be fixed. That way you have an idea of what needs to be done to fix it.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could be wrong but I believe the only way to align a trailer is to bend the axle and maybe install some reinforcement

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Second Dakota wheel alignment if around Bismarck, they have done a boat trailer and some axle work on my truck.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup bent axel. Maybe hit a large bump and boat came down hard on trailor and toed out your wheels. Thats why the inside of your tires are wearing. Should be abel to see it if your tires wore out that fast.

Last edited:

elkeater

Mid dakota wheel alignment has done a couple trailers for me and did a great job, they will also tell you if there is something else wrong. A single axle trailer with worn tires on the inside sounds like a bent axel which they will straighten for you.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is common with boat trailers. Most manufacturers don't put a large enough axle under them. Then you fill them up with gear and batteries and they're too heavy for the axle.
Don't be surprised if your alignment doesn't last. Depending on the roads you pull it on, over time, it will probably toe-out again. You should always have the alignment checked / corrected when replacing the tires.
Hopefully your alignment lasts about as long as your tires normally would.
If not, the only long-term solution is to lighten the boat, or replace with a heavier axle. My brother finally replaced the axle on his '02 after going through multiple alignments and tires.

Last edited:

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take it to mid dakota. They do great work. Had my camper done there last year. I personally dont think it's a bent axle. They can adjust everything just like a vehicle. Usually only costs 100 per axle on trailers. Maybe a little more now

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, Mid Dakota Wheel Alignment on East Divide. They have done three axles for me.

Different boat trailers. ;:;banghead

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, who am I kidding. You own a boat trailer long enough and you will have axle problems.

To the original poster. Any time an axle is bent enough to cause that kind of wear is pretty bad. There is at least a fair chance that the weld holding that axle stub in place is compromised. On the one trailer I'm thinking of, the problem showed up late in the summer after I whacked a porcupine. Saw tire leaning and made an appointment to get it looked at. The weld completely failed about 150 yds away from Mid Dakota. I pulled it in to their parking lot anyway because the smoke from a skidding tire had just got going.

They replaced that axle and fixed the alignment quite nicely, and nearly half the price I had expected.

And, boat can stay on trailer.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on Mid-Dakota, great guys and super work.
You will want to leave the boat on the trailer as that is the loaded weight it usually carries. At least that is what i was told.
We take our vehicles there for alignment too!

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple years ago, I was having wearing issues on my tires as well. I took it to Mid Dakota Wheel Align & Frame and they straightened it out. They are great guys and did a great job on the trailer. The price really surprised me. I believe it was under $90.

I should have known when the guy I bought my boat from put new tires on it before I picked it up. I see a lot of used boats for sale that say the trailer has brand new tires in the ad... now I know why. I think certain fiberglass boats are just too heavy for singe axle trailers. Mine is am 18 ft Lund GL. It is big and heavy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76