Auto windshield repair/replacement?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
So both the wife and I have gotten rock chipped and cracked windshields. Good news is both are in "good" spots. Mine is below the wipers but has a small crack coming up I want to get stopped. Wife's is passenger side but heading down from the corner, also needs stopped. My question is, can they drill and stop a crack? Or will they be willing to? I have only had chips repaired in the past. I see no reason to replace the windshields, they're both perfectly clear for driving. Thanks!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Everything I've ever been told is if it's not longer than a dollar bill it's fixable.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My glass guy told me he could only fix chips but not cracks.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
They use pretty much the same process for filling chips and cracks. It's just an adhesive that fills in the area and sets up clear. I had a crack fixed on my car and they wouldn't guarantee the work because cracks can still spread. Some places might offer to deduct the cost of the repair from a replacement windshield if the fix doesn't hold. The one I had done held up fine.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Windshields aren't that expensive. I have had to replace three over the past 4 years. Neither has cost me more than $250 at any of the glass installers I called.

Yeah, yeah, I wasn't that excited about replacing any of them, but I LOVE the non-pitted glass I have for the next few months.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s those were for a Ford F250 and a Toyota 4Runner. Once they are cracked they should be replaced for safety's sake.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If needing to purchase new, pay directly. Screw the insurance claim. Only about a $25-$30 difference and no claim on your record

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66