Trigger Replacement

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
After shooting my new 30-06 a lot this summer, I began to realize that my old Remington 700 6mm doesn't have nearly as good of a trigger. It never bothered me before but after I got use to a good trigger, it kind of bothers me. So I was thinking of replacing the trigger on the old 6mm. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this something I can do myself? I have no experience with triggers.
2. Will Remington replace the trigger because of a recall? The internet says that Remington was recalling all Model 700 triggers (this was a few years ago). Is this true? I know that everything on the internet is probably true but I thought I would check with you internet guys.

dank

You can replace it yourself. It is very, very easy. Time to finish including watching a couple of youtube videos will be under 30 minutes. I've switched all my remmy's over to Timney 510 triggers. Only one I had an issue with was an Model 722 where I had to create some clearence in the stock opposite of the safety. Even that was fairly easy.

There was a trigger recall, but I'd still rather have a Timney/Jewel trigger.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a Timney or a Jewel and don't look back.

Yes, you can change it out yourself. I did mine. However, if I remember correctly the instructions had a caution along the line of "be careful of ____ spring". They were right when they said the install can be done without removing it, but it easily falls out. Mine did and it took a minute to locate it once it hit the carpet and then to figure out how to get it reassembled. I think it took me about fifteen minutes total, to include the locating of the part that hit the floor.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has your original trigger been adjusted? If not, Pre-X Mark Remington triggers can be adjusted to be quite good.

If you go the replacement route, for a hunting rifle I prefer Shilen with Timney being a close second. I've used a couple of Rifle Basix triggers and don't like them at all. I have a couple of Jewel triggers and @ very light target rifle pull-weights they're great. I've found them finicky @ 2+# hunting rifle pull weights.

Replacement of the triggers is pretty straightforward. Drift out a couple of pins pull the old trigger, line everything back up and drift the pins back into place. Adjustments however are at least, best done under the supervision of someone who knows WTF is going on. They're very easy to adjust safely, and they're also very easily adjusted to not be safe. People get "greedy" with light pull weights and minuscule creep and over-travel amounts and pretty soon the rifle is going off when you cycle the bolt or push the safety from "safe" to "fire".

m77hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
+1 on the Timney, by far the best improvement I made to my rifle. Mine qualified for the recall, but you still have an X-Mark trigger in the end. It took me 15 minutes to install.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have adjusted a few 100 Remington factory triggers with never a problem. If you want to spend the money there our alot of them out there. Lots of youtube videos showing how to do it.

If you do it yourself do a dump test and safety to fire after trying to fire while it is on safety. I have taken them down to 8 - 10 oz's and never a problem.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I replaced mine with a Timney Calvin Elite. I would recommend you do the same.

If yours is a left-hand, I got an x-mark Pro (the newer adjustable trigger style) that I'd give you (+shipping).

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
timney ans jewels are both solid triggers.

i prefer the jewel slightly more than the timney but prefer the timney price so thats what i have in both my my guns.
swapping it out aint bad but whomever mentioned the spring thing is for real. couple youtube videos and it was an easy fix.

dont forget to make sure the safety work when installed FYI.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After shooting my new 30-06 a lot this summer, I began to realize that my old Remington 700 6mm doesn't have nearly as good of a trigger. It never bothered me before but after I got use to a good trigger, it kind of bothers me. So I was thinking of replacing the trigger on the old 6mm. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this something I can do myself? I have no experience with triggers.
2. Will Remington replace the trigger because of a recall? The internet says that Remington was recalling all Model 700 triggers (this was a few years ago). Is this true? I know that everything on the internet is probably true but I thought I would check with you internet guys.

I think you can get a replacement spring for a fraction of the cost of a new trigger. I forgot the name though but my coworker said they work great.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76