How deep for big walleye on Sak?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At what depth have your biggest walleye came from through the ice on Sak? What time of year was it?

I would say I am still very new to fishing Sakakawea. 2 years ago I put in a ton of time out on and around Douglas bay and found a good amount of eater size fish, 13-17", but never really found many bigger than that. I have explored all kinds of structure and depths ranging from 8-35 fow.

The best I have done for bigger fish was out near the mouth of five fingers bay on a hump right before it dropped out into the deep part of the lake. Hump topped out at 12 fow at the time and I caught them in 18fow. 2 were 21" and 1 was 23" that particular evening. Other than that, I haven't been able to find any size. I realize 26"+ fish a hard to come by, but I think I would have caught one by now.....

Wondering if I need to try deeper for the bigger fish through the ice?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big walleye are weird, you might get one in 2 feet, and another in 40 feet. There's been zero rhyme or reason to big walleyes for me as far as depth is concerned.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big walleye are weird, you might get one in 2 feet, and another in 40 feet. There's been zero rhyme or reason to big walleyes for me as far as depth is concerned.

Agreed. My biggest eyeballs have been 6', 10', and 28'. none were caught on Sak.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard a guy caught a 7.5 wally at 80ft last friday. Heard of multiple catfish being caught while salmon fishing this year also.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62