Another lake threatened by introduction of a top predator???

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is 1 scary looking creature... if anyone catches any of these, please clean and drop off with me... I can dispose of them properly...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imo salmon can be removed from sak. Sprague lake by Spokane best walleye lake ever. The DNR killed it to put native trout or whatever in it. They have no conservation on any of their lakes. They want the walleye gone. Yet the seattlins drive east just like a bunch of sconnies to take em home by the boat load.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brother just moved to Boise looks like he might have to stop op and put the lindys to work scouting for elk next weekend.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I dunno anything about the biology or management of this lake. in any case, illegal stocking, even when done with good intentions. cost all of us sportsmen and women LOTS of money, and screws up plans for fish management. If someone wants walleye in that lake, for better or worse and I'm not taking sides here, they should be lobbying for it in a proper manner. Lots of lakes screwed up by bar school midnight stockers, like Yellowstone, the controversy about Canyon Ferry, some smaller lakes in ND, etc.
Im a walleye fan myself, but elsewhere in the country walleyes might not be the best or most intelligent species to dump in. Guess Ill leave that to the experts, even though I realize there will be many posts saying that biologists are not experts and idiots and liberals, etc. IMHO Illegal midnight stocking is wrong, no matter what the result might be, good or bad. Yet sportsmen never seem too concerned....maybe I'm just too old and too conservative...

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Western Montana treats walleye, perch, and smallmouth like they are pirhannas. We all pay big bucks for them to wipe them out every year.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Western Montana treats walleye, perch, and smallmouth like they are pirhannas. We all pay big bucks for them to wipe them out every year.

I suppose the big tourist money is in Western Montana with trout fisherpeople being the biggest spenders. money talks....
However, when I lived in Miles City their warm water hatchery produced a lot of walleye for the eastern warm water part of the state. Unless our so called money conserving (wasting) politicians pulled the plug on that one, too, like so many states are doing.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think they do a whole lot of walleye stocking after they started managing the levels on peck for natural reproduction. As far as tourism goes the legislature rolls however the environmental groups tell them too. Any industry other than tourism and real estate is sort of frowned upon. Locals out vacation homes in. So yes if a guy wants to pay a few hundred for a license to catch some 10in trout that’s what they’ll shoot for.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bottom line is that someone put a fish where it didn't belong, nor where it wasn't wanted according to the people in charge of sustaining the fishery for whatever purposes they are regulating it for. We can agree or disagree with their decision, but in the end the guys who are in charge don't want walleye in there.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think they do a whole lot of walleye stocking after they started managing the levels on peck for natural reproduction. As far as tourism goes the legislature rolls however the environmental groups tell them too. Any industry other than tourism and real estate is sort of frowned upon. Locals out vacation homes in. So yes if a guy wants to pay a few hundred for a license to catch some 10in trout that’s what they’ll shoot for.
I fly-fished ID this year for 5 days ,cost me like $40, MT is pretty much the same although maybe a little bit more for the Lic.

Anybody who takes it upon themselves to put any fish in a lake its not supposed to be in is a serious dink period, weather it be walleye, perch, trout, salmon, muskie, whatever.

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minimum Nonresident(2 day) here is $50. Season is about $110. Anyway I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the trout. I’m not a walleye snob by any means. In my mind it sort of goes with the general feeling in Montana that almost all resources are spent in the west while the east gets the shaft no matter who does the producing. The checkbook flies open to poison lakes and streams in the west while conservation and/or stocking is barely thought of in the east. I agree though that anyone tossing fish into places they don’t belong is an a-hole.

I fly-fished ID this year for 5 days ,cost me like $40, MT is pretty much the same although maybe a little bit more for the Lic.

Anybody who takes it upon themselves to put any fish in a lake its not supposed to be in is a serious dink period, weather it be walleye, perch, trout, salmon, muskie, whatever.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
i don’t think the dratted environmentalists are driving these decisions, but tourism and trout fishing, especially fly fishing industry. A huge industry in the western states, fly fishing shops and guides and float boat sales places everywhere. Money talks for better or worse.
3 day licences cost less than a handful of trout flies in most of those states. But they do make you bend over and do the ankle grab for hunting licenses.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a lot of these western states like MT and ID they are just trying to get back to the native cutthroat and bulltrout in the mtn. streams and lakes. They are killing off Rainbows and Browns to do so, so its not like they are just targeting walleyes. Once these streams are back to the native fish i think they are pretty self sustaining to be honest. I would also have to assume there are federal grants involved with these projects since a lot of the water is in national forests etc. There is even a certain segment of trout guys that don't like these projects because they prefer the bigger Rainbows and Browns. I personally thinks it pretty cool to stand in a gin clear ID stream and watch wild, native, west-slope cutts pick a big fly off the surface.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im dying for a shot at a bull trout.

In a lot of these western states like MT and ID they are just trying to get back to the native cutthroat and bulltrout in the mtn. streams and lakes. They are killing off Rainbows and Browns to do so, so its not like they are just targeting walleyes. Once these streams are back to the native fish i think they are pretty self sustaining to be honest. I would also have to assume there are federal grants involved with these projects since a lot of the water is in national forests etc. There is even a certain segment of trout guys that don't like these projects because they prefer the bigger Rainbows and Browns. I personally thinks it pretty cool to stand in a gin clear ID stream and watch wild, native, west-slope cutts pick a big fly off the surface.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76