E4 Elk Success

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
A little story with the elk I had shot here, the night b4 season we were scouting and seen the herd bull and a bunch of cows and kinda seen where they were going and coming from. We had been sitting there for probly 2 hours and we heard a pickup roll up behind us and this clown drove through private land opened a fence and then onto public land and said he had a gratis blah blah. Said he pulls in there 2 times a day so he knew where this bull was as I had since I had seen him the weekend prior as well. Idiot shouldn't of been driving into those spots anyways. So opening morning rolls around and we woke up at 3am and started hiking in at 330am. Wanted to get in there early b4 the road hunter decided to drive all over. Started hearing bugles immediately as we were walking out so knew where they were. We waited to hike in farther until it got a bit more light out, made our move around 5 and got down into a bottom and crossed a fence, immediately after I crossed the fence and let up on the top barbwire we heard a loud high pitch chirp and thought it was the fence. 2 steps later heard it again, sounded like an air horn went off in 2 second intervals and loud as hell. The bull I shot was down in the bottom with us and he apparently didnt want us there but couldn't quite make out what we were, so we sat there from 5:26 until legal shooting time and he was barking at us off and on that whole time. Once it got light out enough I passed on him as the herd bull was still bugling to the north of us, as we were glassing that herd bull the one I shot popped back over the hill and barked at us again for a bit and made a big ole bugle and went back over the hill. We made a move and seen the herd bull at 780 yards and they started moving to the area they came through the night b4 so we went to head them off and then all the sudden (old captain drive around) starts popping shots off at over 1000 yards and the whole herd took off to the park. He knew I was in there and I'm sure he did it on purpose to push them away. So basically made my decision alot easier when a person never knows if he will come out of the park again or not. I decided since that bull was a for sure 6x6 and was close enough and still a great bull to go after him. We went up over two hills and there he was on a flat before a draw broadside at around 280 yards and pulled up and WHACK heard the first bullet hit and he just kind of walked forward a bit and decided to put an anchor shot in him so he didnt get down in that draw and the rest was history. All in all a great success and I did see this bull I shot last Friday when I was scouting. Still kinda disappointed that captain drive around ruined my chance at the herd bull but that's what happens on public ground sometimes. Thanks goes out to all the people that lent me equipment and came scouting with me, I put on around 40 miles on the boots so it wasnt overly easy. I do plan on talking to Game and Fish Monday about that clown as I have his name and vehicle info.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its bullshit that ass clown gets a gratis elk tag every year and can hunt anywhere in the unit he wants, and goes and tries ruining once in a lifetime hunts for others! :mad:
His long range shooting range crap at the "ranch" must not be helping him in the accuracy category..
To bad you weren't able to have an enjoyable hunt and get the herd bull of your dreams since you did put in allot of time out there.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Congrats on your bull!

I'm sorry to hear about some asshat ruining your chance at the big boy. I had that happen on an antelope hunt in the 80's and it sucks.

OK, enough about that, how about some more details on the bull you did kill and maybe a few pics?

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
The rules for gratis elk tags definitely make you scratch your head. Guess I'm just jealous I didn't buy some land in elk country

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on your bull!

I'm sorry to hear about some asshat ruining your chance at the big boy. I had that happen on an antelope hunt in the 80's and it sucks.

OK, enough about that, how about some more details on the bull you did kill and maybe a few pics?

I posted some the other day

racksntails

Congratulations on the bull. Thanks for taking the time to type up a story and sharing your pictures. I always like seeing pictures of nice North Dakota bulls. Now to enjoy the meat from the harvest and trying to find a place in the house to put the trophy.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way to put in the work and I heard he made it into the 300” club!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Congrats on your bull!

I posted some the other day

Yup, you sure did and I even commented on them. I'm sorry that I failed to put this thread with the pics you posted.

That's a nice bull you got!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe gratis tag holders should have the opening weekend and others back two weeks. ;:;rofl:;:stirthepot

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously congrats. Nice elk. I'm jealous

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe gratis tag holders should have the opening weekend and others back two weeks. ;:;rofl:;:stirthepot

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously congrats. Nice elk. I'm jealous

ha, I dont think they should be able to hunt public land as a gratis tag holder. Complete BS.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75