What were you doing 17 yrs ago today?

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was setting VF-7 Haas in Oakes N.D. and listening to the radio. I thought it was a public service announcment. There was very little work done in the shop that day. Lots of people left thinking there was going to be more attacks.

Most people will never forget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Waking a buddy up so he did not get kicked out of vo tech. Looked at the tv as the second tower got hit and told the other guy i was with this is a dumb movie. About 2 minutes later out phone rang with the be set code words for guards.....not a movie .....

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting in Power technology class my Junior year of HS.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just came from Menards with a load of tile for a job in Minn. Could not believe my ears listening to radio. First thought was a remake of War of the Worlds then reality set in.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was working on a water treatment plant in north Fargo, and was informed by someone listening to a radio. Never forget the disbelief as I saw it on tv when we went for lunch.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was driving through Linton on my way to SD for work when the first plane hit. I remember calling my Dad to see if he was watching the news as I was listening on the radio and he thought maybe a young pilot had made a mistake.....by the time I hit Herreid Sd we knew it was no accident and our country and our world was forever changed....

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Working at the same desk I am today The UPS guy delivering a package said he heard on the radio that a plane had hit the 1st tower

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walked into a freshman class at BSC, people were talking about a plane hitting the WTC. I assumed it was a small aircraft and we were even kind of joking around about it. For some reason our class ended up walking over to the student union and by then the second plane had hit. We obviously knew it was no longer an accident and we sat there for that class period watching the big screen as the first tower fell, went home and watched the rest on TV. All of the people in my class who had signed up for guards for college money had a nervous look on their face and for good reason.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
at work - doing the same thing i am doing now - working on a deadline - heard a bleap and then went online to see the details. Didnt get to see it on tv until i got home. In disbelief on how the buildings came down.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Social Studies class as a freshman in high school, I remember watching TV most of the day.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Working at a shop in GF. Still remember the owner yelling at us all to "GET BACK TO WORK" as we tried to watch the events unfold on TV. Then I had to go to class at UND in the afternoon and just remember everyone just had a deadpan look on their face. That night I met up with friends for our weekly meet-up at the Green Mill and I don't think that place had ever been so quiet.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In college walking to class and there was a crowd of people around a tv in a hallway so I went to see what was going on. Got there just in time to see the second tower get hit. My dad was traveling to DC that week but I couldnt remember which day his flight was. Had a very sick feeling for a while until I found out he was safe. I went to get gas that evening and sat in line for about an hour. Went to Fleet Farm to get some ammo (not because I thought the shit was going to go down but because I was going plinking that weekend) and they were sold out of just about every caliber.

Sotaman

Established Member
I was in RAF Lakenheath in the UK. I was an AMMO troop at the time in the USAF. We were armed up to do a practice convoy on the base, it was early afternoon and one of the controllers walked in and had said a plane hit the first tower and that we are on standby for our exercise. By that time they had gotten news the second had hit and determined it was not an accident. Beings we were armed up the lower ranking folks had to grab radios and go post by the entrances to the bomb dumbs. The rest of us were sent home, I think we stayed home nearly a week until things could get sorted out. My wife at the time was home in St Cloud and she had called me and informed me that she was pregnant with our second child on the 9th or so. I was very excited as she was suppose to come back to England on the 12th. I think it took her about ten days to get back over the pond, she was flying with our 1st born and I am sure a crazy bundle of emotions she had to be feeling.

I am proud to report we were building bombs shortly after words and sending F-15 into Afghanistan.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sophomore in HS. Hobbled in after a football game when a classmate said someone hit one of the towers. Thought it was a dummy in a small aircraft. By the time first period started, the second plane had hit. We went from class to class only to watch the news for the entire school day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74