Starting to go a little overbord

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well for anyone hunting 3f2 or any where in any state shaded in gray on this map it's now illegal to transport the head of any deer or elk pretty much anywhere in or into ND even to a taxidermist or meat market. It means your going to have to either cape out your deer in the field bring a saw with the cut off the antlers or just leave them there. It all but makes Euro mounts ilegal unless you can find a taxidermist inside that unit since it's not even legal to do them youself if you're not living in the unit. Curious if you shoot a small buck and have to leave the head behind do you also have to leave the tag on it to because I'm sure the hell not leaving my tag out there in the middle of nowhere on some random deer head.

Screenshot_20180917-140054.jpg

Screenshot_20180917-135921.jpg

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad Im hunting 3B1 this year, its getting pretty tight to do anything with transporting deer out of that unit anymore. Like you said, more less going to have to find someone within that unit to do a mount\process the meat for ya. Or like you mention, cut just the antlers and move on.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the other option, let CWD spread unchecked?

Wait - what? Is transport of carcasses/parts to a home and/or a taxidermist now a known mechanism for spread?

- - - Updated - - -

Whereas leaving it lay in "deer habitat" to be spread around by various critters is preferred?

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The laws are written without much sense of real-world application. I used to live in St. Paul and would still come back to rifle hunt (during the good 'ol days when a guy could get a nonresident doe tag for $50). Back then ND law required me to keep the head and hide with me at all times while transporting the meat back to MN. MN law prohibited me from transporting any portion of the head or spinal column into MN. So to technically follow both laws, I had to chuck the head into the Red River as I drove by (which obviously violated a number of other laws).

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait - what? Is transport of carcasses/parts to a home and/or a taxidermist now a known mechanism for spread?

- - - Updated - - -

Whereas leaving it lay in "deer habitat" to be spread around by various critters is preferred?

I believe the fear is that people will haul their deer home, do their own processing, and toss the carcass (including the lymphnodes and central nervous system) out to the scavengers in their backyard or in some random ditch. We know it happens as I see cut up carcasses every year out in the country. It would be silly to think they were dumped where they were shot.

No different than the ANS regs, you gotta whip out the blanket rules to try and prevent people from doing the obviously stupid.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the fear is that people will haul their deer home, do their own processing, and toss the carcass (including the lymphnodes and central nervous system) out to the scavengers in their backyard or in some random ditch. We know it happens as I see cut up carcasses every year out in the country. It would be silly to think they were dumped where they were shot.

No different than the ANS regs, you gotta whip out the blanket rules to try and prevent people from doing the obviously stupid.

I agree that's the fear. And yes, I see them too. Still, a compromise for people wanting euros seems plausible. (antlered head/skull combo is allowed for transport)

I don't recall the last antlered head I saw laying around outside of town.

Also - make dumping of any/all deer parts illegal. It's so trashy-bad-for-hunting when I see it anyway.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Think I am going to start a deer cremoritory business, (not to sure on spelling that, feel free to correct).

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is a good place to dispose of a carcass? I normally drop my whole deer off at a processing place so dont have to worry about it.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is a good place to dispose of a carcass? I normally drop my whole deer off at a processing place so dont have to worry about it.
Any dumpster of a business who has wronged you.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I never hunt those units. I have a freezer in my camper and a 20 quart stainless steel pot that I boil my head in. I like to camp a couple days so I have my insulated large six sided ice house beside my camper. I have a table in it for butchering on the spot. I have not field dressed deer for five years. I bring them into the ice house, bone them, start the generator, vacuum pack, and throw in the freezer. Then tape the carcass tag to the top outside of the lid. Next buck tag I get the head goes in the pot with a tablespoon of dish soap and a cup of Borax and boils for six hours. The cordless drill with 12 inch chunk of heavy wire get stuck in the spinal column and the brain turned to mush to pour down our outhouse hole. Then into a two gallon zip lock and a gallon of hydrogen peroxide poured in. I use a battery box for that. The horns hang on the edge and I don't need as much hydrogen peroxide because I fill in the extra space on the outside of the zip lock bag with corn. If you have a couple days you have your mount before heading home.

Happy to see some of you guys taking CWD serious.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montana is also included in this - if u hunt montana don't bring a deer home whole into nd . U can still do a euro , just skin and clean the skull out there and get the brain and tissue out of it . Not that hard

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how they will then do the collection sites? If your in the eastern part of the unit you would have to travel quite far to drop it off without exiting the unit.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised there isn't even more grey on that map I'm fairly certain cwd is alive and well here in the lower Yellowstone Valley.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76