What I have:
20180918_195434.jpg

What I need:
20180918_194702.jpg

Thanks!

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's turkey shit. Better look at the rest of the welds, it'll probably continue in other places.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like the front of the receiver on an ar... if it is, throw it away (or return), and forget about it... high heat changes properties of steel and might make it VERY dangerous, or at least very inaccurate...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like the front of the receiver on an ar... if it is, throw it away (or return), and forget about it... high heat changes properties of steel and might make it VERY dangerous, or at least very inaccurate...

AR uppers/lowers are made of AL not steel.

Might be an AK or SKS though.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's designed to get red hot and be no worse for the wear. Also, the weld isn't actually touching the barrel, just the rear sight trunnion.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's designed to get red hot and be no worse for the wear. Also, the weld isn't actually touching the barrel, just the rear sight trunnion.

k - any welding shop should be able to throw a tack weld on for you in a minute or less after paint removal...

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
well shit, looks like a reason to buy a welder to me... don't pass up opportunities to purchase tools or toys.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
well shit, looks like a reason to buy a welder to me... don't pass up opportunities to purchase tools or toys.

In shop class I'd stand in the shadows until the opportune time at which point I'd slink by the 55 gal scrap drum and pull out A+ welds and turn them in as my own, so.....

Toby

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
This type of metal looks like chrome moly or tooling steel, most are used to make guns. It usually looks really close to cast after cleaned. There are a few ways to weld this correctly. Pulse arc spray, tig, or short circuit mig if you are really really good. Let's start with mig, usually an experienced welder will bevel the joint a bit to make sure the weld can be flush or just a hair above flush...but with short circuit mig you have to preheat the hell out of it, especially chrome moly so that is is glowing before you weld it. Same applies for tooling steel due to higher levels of carbon and sulfur with lower manganese levels from the wire. Tig is still preheat but not as much and you can usually get a great weld using a bronze alloy, most will bevel as well to get a good root. Pulse arc spray is hotter and way way faster and you will for sure need a bevel, for the 1 inch of weld this will also require a preheat but not as much as the latter 2 due the fact of the heat affect zone of pulse. It is very similar to a cast iron block on a tractor, some guys can weld it and some guys can't.

My profession is certified welder for all of the applications above, but I don't happen to live in Bismarck, wish I did.

Last edited:

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
This type of metal looks like chrome moly or tooling steel, most are used to make guns. It usually looks really close to cast after cleaned. There are a few ways to weld this correctly. Pulse arc spray, tig, or short circuit mig if you are really really good. Let's start with mig, usually an experienced welder will bevel the joint a bit to make sure the weld can be flush or just a hair above flush...but with short circuit mig you have to preheat the hell out of it, especially chrome moly so that is is glowing before you weld it. Same applies for tooling steel due to higher levels of carbon and sulfur with lower manganese levels from the wire. Tig is still preheat but not as much and you can usually get a great weld using a bronze alloy, most will bevel as well to get a good root. Pulse arc spray is hotter and way way faster and you will for sure need a bevel, for the 1 inch of weld this will also require a preheat but not as much as the latter 2 due the fact of the heat affect zone of pulse. It is very similar to a cast iron block on a tractor, some guys can weld it and some guys can't.

My profession is certified welder for all of the applications above, but I don't happen to live in Bismarck, wish I did.

Sold! How do I get ahold of you?

Toby

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Just PM me and give me the details of what you have so I know what I need to have. As far as that chicken shit welding, I wouldn't have charged you 1 single cent. Prolly won't either if you get ahold of me to fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

So I did an outside corner joint vertical up with a 1/8" gap for a guy. Here is the before and after pics 100% penetration. 12" quarter in plating, he just wanted to know what I could do I guess, was running 0.045 spray at 18.4, and 190. No undercut at all. I was in Kenmare ND when I did this because he needed something welded fast and nobody could do vertical up in his shop. Okay guys, please try not to pick me apart. Outside corner joint with 100% penetration with 0 undercut and 8MM across the surface. smart.jpg66594064_2133320923446218_5818283412959526912_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

66514898_2457262377645944_6573507455811059712_n.jpg
40" T-Joint Pulse Arc Spray running .052 wire size

Last edited:

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a carry handle connection point welded to the rear sight trunnion. It's very close to the barrel though. Should I run to Pahlke and have them shear me off a piece of 22 gauge to slide between the barrel and carry handle support? The idea is it'd hopefully protect the barrel. One can see the gap just under the weld in both photos, more so in my photo.

FWIW - The original weld was done by an authentic Romanian named Vasile earning an authentic Romanian wage of 1900 RON/month.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member

smart guy - make friends with him...

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If "smart guy" is too far away, my brother-in-law is a welder at Tesoro, lives out north of the flying J, is up on all his certs and has mad skills with a tig machine. Runs his own business on the side called "Fetzer Built" You can look him up on facebook or Instagram if you want to see any of his work
Eric Fetzer
989-5097

Toby

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Just shoot me a PM

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110