EVO 1it

Bull Herbie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking about ice fishing. Looking at a one man hut. Can anybody tell me about the evo? I really want the larger fishing area, but I keep going back to the pop up part. How bad is the evo in wind? Setting up/taking down and just in general pros and cons.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Eskimo wide one and I’m very happy with. Plenty of room for two holes, buddy heater, and a vex in front of me.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Eskimo 6120. Anchor it down n no worries. If it's really windy though, be sure to put at least 1anchor in before u pop it up.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an evo 2 man it sets up very fast I've fished in 20mph just with out a prob very warm with a little buddy you can store everything in the sled put the cover on and go the sled could be a little thicker in my opinion I'm afraid after 3 yrs of use I have thin spots probably holes after this year but in general best sled portable I've used

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a clam Kenai pro thermal which is ok. If I was to do it over again I would get the otter hideout.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy has an Evo 1. I can’t say I’m a fan. In transport mode, there is not a lot of room for gear between the seat and all that tarp. IMO, it’s doesnt set up as fast as a regular flip house. It is definitely roomier than single man flips though. It’s not for me, but to each his own.

Bull Herbie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who sells Eskimo in North Dakota? I think I need to get in one and see how it would work

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me most of these true 1-mans are just too damn small, I personally wouldn't go smaller than an Otter Cottage. I use an Otter Cabin as a 1-man and just leave the heavy bench seat out when I'm pulling by hand.

Bull Herbie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would love to get an Otter, way too expensive, sad face. The Evo has almost 20 square feet of fishable area. I'm worried about the whole pop up thing in North Dakota, the wind tends to blow a bit. I have a 2 man Clam, it's just to much work by myself.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pop-ups are what you make of them. I'm young enough that it doesn't bother me to set one up and I got a new Clam Refuge thermal for $279 last year. I don't anchor mine, simply just use the snow/slush around the skirting from the holes I drilled; never had a problem with wind.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would love to get an Otter, way too expensive, sad face. The Evo has almost 20 square feet of fishable area. I'm worried about the whole pop up thing in North Dakota, the wind tends to blow a bit. I have a 2 man Clam, it's just to much work by myself.

You might have to anchor the EVO depending on the weather and how you set up. After all, it is part hub. I agree with Bfishn’s take on 1 man shelters. I feel like I’m in a coffin. I have an old Frabill Adventurer nom thermal that I use a lot. It’s a very small 2 man flip that weighs 65 pounds. It’s an awesome 1 man house. It’s easy to unload/load, light weight, and has the space to actually bring gear along. I would suggest looking into that option.

Myk Lund

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am also in the camp of a light flip-up style for stability. The Clam Nanook is around 86lbs, fits auger and all my gear and will also slide under my tonneau cover of my ram. 20 sq ft of fish-able area. I pull the second seat out, mount one seat in the middle, add rod holders on each side, and your all set.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73