Motor Storage

Sotaman

Established Member
Folks quick question for you. I have a couple Honda 2000 watt generators. I will not be using them for about a year. How do I properly store them. I figure a fresh oil change. Non ethanol gas. But do I need a gas additive how full should the tank be? Should I be mind full and start them monthly..

Help I have never put anything away for this long.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
There 2 common answers to this. 1) Premium fuel does with stabilizer and run the motor for awhile ; then top-off and be done. 2) is run dry, empty the fuel bowl well and be done. Both would include a fresh oil change after being ran for awhile to suspend contaminants in the oil before it is drained and refilled.

If I was around and able to start occasionally I'd do the stabilizer method and keep the tank as full as you can get it. If I was unable to do any occasional starting up (especially in this case with smaller tanks easily drained) Id drain dry as heck and make sure the fuel bowl and jets were also dry as possible and forget about it.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I would either have the tanks full or completely empty. Half full they have a chance to get condensation. It also depend if stored in climate controlled atmosphere whether condensation would occur. I say full with a little seafoam. Certainly doesnt hurt to fire them up once in a while. Just what I would do and have had success with.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol Aaron , I was typing mine up and you beat me to it. Dam close to same. lol

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must be premium non ethanol, mandated to have a 1 year shelf life or go to the local smallaristrip and get some aviation gas, its even better than non ethanol premium and has a longer shelf life yet and not much more expensive. Regular nonethanol only has a 60-90 day shelf life before it begins to deteriorate and ethanol will begin to deteriorate at 30+- days.
Fill tank full and run for a while and if it has a fuel shutoff valve run it until it runs dry.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like everyone else said with the oil change non-ethanol and a fuel stabilizer, but it fog the plugs as well.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can start it a few times, do. Especially if it's not stored in a heated garage. They have a battery for the starter that could freeze if not charged.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
After having trouble with mine and doing some research on it if you can run them dry do it. The jets in those generators are so small that they are easily gummed up and can do so even with a stabilizer. If not like others suggested they should be started and run periodically.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also vote to turn the gas off and run it dry. Thats how I store all my small engines (for 10 years) and its never failed me. Full tank, with stablizer, start and turn the gas off and let it run until it dies.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56