6.7 cummins delete...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
got a 17 ram with 21k miles... thinkin bout it... what do you know - results would b great...

go...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
anytime you can eliminate that shit the better off you'll be. I learned something the other day I didn't know. Chevy pickups from 2017 on can't run programmers. Apparently the factory was able to lock up the ecm on em. I hadn't heard this at all.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
anytime you can eliminate that shit the better off you'll be. I learned something the other day I didn't know. Chevy pickups from 2017 on can't run programmers. Apparently the factory was able to lock up the ecm on em. I hadn't heard this at all.

That is completely incorrect, there’s lots of programmers out there for the 17 & 18 duramax’s

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is completely incorrect, there’s lots of programmers out there for the 17 & 18 duramax’s
thought that sounded strange. What more strange is my kid had a 2016 duramax. A classmate of his is the used car manager at the dealer here. He had a customer come in and wanted a 2016 because it was the last year you could reprogram em. They didn’t have one so he talked my kid into trading for a new one so they could sell the guy a 16’. Something seems a little strange lol

- - - Updated - - -

According to this article it doesn’t sound like it’s locked up totally yet but probably will be damn soon.
https://www.bankspower.com/magazine/changing-times-gms-push-make-l5p-duramax-un-crackable/

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Programmers with DEF/DPF/EGR delete? That might be the thing, you can turn up the tune somewhat, but perhaps not completely delete the major emissions components?

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
my buddy raider....move up in the world....Just get the damn FORD and be done with it...he he he...I know you are dodge nut..but I gotta try and save a friend you know......lol....I'm a FORD nut, always will be...so flame away all you want my fella NDA er's you S.O.L'd getting me to change.....

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Programmers with DEF/DPF/EGR delete? That might be the thing, you can turn up the tune somewhat, but perhaps not completely delete the major emissions components?

That certainly could be :confused:. I'm not completely up on the latest and greatest as far as tuners and delete kits go but I know several companies still make turners for the current offerings from all three manufactures.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe I saw something the other day from one of the bigger diesel tune companies that they finally cracked the encryption on the 2017 and newer L5P duramax. If thats true a full emissions delete should be available soon.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It'll cost a penny but the life of your engine should increase, as well as fuel economy. The diesel particulate filter is one thing, DEF is another, but it just blew my mind when I did enough research on my previously owned truck to figure out what the EGR was..... that damn thing is a MUST delete.

Just be careful with programmers. You start cranking the level up without head studs installed and you could be in for a rude awakening.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend of mine is an engineer @ a company that makes all kinds of filters for all manner of vehicles. On-road, off-road, big equipment, you name it. I had an '06 F-250 w/6.0L, the last yr before DPF's were added to on-road diesels. After a few beers one night I came up with the bright idea that he should engineer a filter that would collect nitrogen, catalyze it so that it could be sequestered, have an on-board compressor and storage tank that would allow the Nitrogen to be compressed, stored, and then off-loaded (giving a discount on fuel during offload) at filling stations. Then, recycle the nitrogen as fertilizer. Give the whole process some name that sounds "green" and earth-friendly. Nab a bunch of federal $$ to develop the process and infrastructure while you're at it.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
a little more background - i bought the truck for work but have switched jobs and don't need it to pull anything but the boat now... i'm talking prolly 5k miles per year pulling a 5k# boat, and maybe another 5k miles empty... i'm trying to figure out whether to keep the truck for pulling and buy a cheap gas run around for town driving, or just trading for a 1/2 ton... i don't need the diesel for pulling the boat, but it doesn't suck either... would love to get back into a 1/2 ton again for the ride, but i pull the boat to devils and new town area pretty regularly... not sure which way to go as this truck would prolly last me for as long as i will b pulling anything around...

if i do keep the truck, i just don't want the def sitting in it for months at a time in the winter as i know what that does... not looking for more power or a coal roller, just longevity...

many guys pulling a glass boat with a 1/2 ton anymore??? don't see many over here in the hills...

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought a 1/2 ton Ford Supercrew with the 3.0 Powerstroke. I just couldn't justify a 3/4 ton. It is my daily driver and will be pulling Yar Crafts for up to 10k miles/year.

2750 miles so far and I love this thing. I have had 2 Tundras, Ecoboost, 14 Sierra, 12 Cummins, and a few beaters. I am seeing 21-22 in mixed town/hwy driving and 23-27 mixed interstate/hwy2. It rides beautifully, is quiet, and pulls as good or better than the Ecoboost with economy in the mid teens.

In 2-3 years I'd like to delete it; but for the time being I would like to keep warranty; especially with this being year 1 of a new production motor. I cant imagine better mileage with tuner and delete; but would most definitely see improved life of the motor. Sorry, not much help for your issue unless you are looking into a 1/2 ton. For the 1st time in many years I can say "I love my truck".

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 2-3 years I'd like to delete it; but for the time being I would like to keep warranty; especially with this being year 1 of a new production motor. I cant imagine better mileage with tuner and delete; but would most definitely see improved life of the motor.

Mileage would have to improve if the motor was always breathing 100% fresh air vs. having some exhaust gasses being recirculated (EGR). Additionally, you can think of the DPF as giving your truck COPD, "Hard to get air out, so it's hard to get air in". Fresh air in and easier expulsion of exhaust is bound to increase efficiency and a side-bonus is reduced complexity. Win-Win

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mileage would have to improve if the motor was always breathing 100% fresh air vs. having some exhaust gasses being recirculated (EGR). Additionally, you can think of the DPF as giving your truck COPD, "Hard to get air out, so it's hard to get air in". Fresh air in and easier expulsion of exhaust is bound to increase efficiency and a side-bonus is reduced complexity. Win-Win

I agree. However, still pleased when a trip to Baudette from DL @ 64-84 mph yielded a 28.9 mpg average hand calculated. Physics with the delete would almost mandate improvement; but WOW I'm already pleased.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was actually quiet intrigued when I drove by a 1/2 ton with that 3.0 diesel at the dealership. I wonder how many miles it would take to offset the initial cost increase for the diesel (with improved mileage) over a gas. Aluminum body + motor that should go for 250K +.

Might be the last truck a guy ever needs

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was actually quiet intrigued when I drove by a 1/2 ton with that 3.0 diesel at the dealership. I wonder how many miles it would take to offset the initial cost increase for the diesel (with improved mileage) over a gas. Aluminum body + motor that should go for 250K +.

Might be the last truck a guy ever needs

I have been looking at them, and hard. Could replace my 04 F350 V10 with the new 1/2 ton powerstroke and still pull close to the same loads. All while doubling, if not tripling the fuel economy. Also the pickup would replace my work car that gets 100 miles a day put on it and gets 25-26 mpgs. Could drop a vehicle on insurance, and use one rig for about everything. UGH, but at $60,000 or more for the new powerstroke, I can drive some shit used work cars for alot of years and put ALOT of fuel in the ol' V10.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
my buddy raider....move up in the world....Just get the damn FORD and be done with it...he he he...I know you are dodge nut..but I gotta try and save a friend you know......lol....I'm a FORD nut, always will be...so flame away all you want my fella NDA er's you S.O.L'd getting me to change.....

42194943_10157786375536978_1426279130567016448_n.jpg

LabMan

got a 17 ram with 21k miles... thinkin bout it... what do you know - results would b great...

go...

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 cummins that had the DPF on it from factory. Those model Ram's were pre-DEF and only came with the DPF. Around 60,000 miles I got a light that came on stating I needed to service the DPF. Took it in and they stated I needed to put a $1500 new particulate filter on it. At that point I started doing research on deleting. Found a guy that knew what he was doing and paid him to do the work. Deleted the DPF and EGR and put an H&S mini Maxx tuner on it. There are various hp stages you can tune your engine to by the push of a button. I always keep mine stock or just one hp jump up. Cost was right around $2k for deleting and tuner.

After deleting, my Ram now gets 2-3 mpg better and I can let it idle all day long if I want to. The engine just sounds like it's been "freed" and can breathe easier.

I would highly recommend deleting IF and ONLY IF you vehicle is out of warranty. If you delete and then have any sort of engine issue (which is unlikely imo), you will be SOL!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Right on LabMan. I wish I had the money to delete mine at 70k miles, but instead traded her off. Not sure how long ago that was, but 1500 for a DPF is a good price, nowadays it sounds like 3k before labor. That minimax tuner is also about $1799 these days. Once retired i hope to own another 6.7, only deleted and one i'll keep til i die. I love those 6.7s, everything about em!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 59