What does outdoor recreation contribute?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Economic Analysis:

Outdoor recreation accounts for $412 billion of the U. S. gross domestic product, representing 2.2 percent of the overall GDP.

This translates to 4.5 million jobs with compensation of $214 billion in the same year.

Outdoor recreation contribution to the GDP is greater than farming, mining or public utilities, and is comparable to broadcasting/telecommunications.

Recreational boating and fishing account for $36.93 billion of that total, the single largest category of activities identified by the report.

This analysis was a result of the passage of the Outdoor Recreation Jobs and Economic Impact Act of 2016, which required the Department of Agriculture and the Department of Interior to conduct, assess, and analyze the outdoor recreation economy of the United States and its effect on the overall U. S. economy.

This looks like a very good reason to not let public land turn private.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought it important that everyone realizes the impact of outdoor sports on our economy. The anti hunters on the extreme left, and the privatize people on the extreme right often disregard our sports as unimportant or worse. It's time for some facts about what we contribute. I will have to say the impact surprised me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77