Lake Turnover - When

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The next week forecast lows vary from 29 to 38. So with those temps at night, when will the lakes turn over where the cold surface water starts dropping? In other words...how much longer before the fish start creeping up into the shallows to "warm" up? Surface temps on Audubon yesterday still 56-58...fish were still pretty deep. Just curious what you guys think...thanks!

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Not an expert on lake turnover, but read something on lake turnover when water temp hits 50 deg. also wind plays a role in turnover might as well expect fishing to slow for a period of time after or just fish the river. Just my thoughts.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Technically speaking, lakes less than 20 ft deep don't turnover as you would expect. They are shallow enough to where the water mixes due to wave action. And since Audubon is not very deep on average, it is one of those lakes. Sak sure does though.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sakakawea turns over around labor day weekend every year.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Technically speaking, lakes less than 20 ft deep don't turnover as you would expect. They are shallow enough to where the water mixes due to wave action. And since Audubon is not very deep on average, it is one of those lakes. Sak sure does though.

Yea guess that makes sense Allen...I was just surprised yesterday to still see some of the bigger marks in 20+ fow...first thing in the AM. Will be interesting to see where they are at next weekend after a week of really cool nights.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sak doesn't turn over like normal lakes do. Too much wind and being river fed. I've caught as many fish in 20'+ right up to freeze up as I do in the shallows.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sak doesn't turn over like normal lakes do. Too much wind and being river fed. I've caught as many fish in 20'+ right up to freeze up as I do in the shallows.

That would be true up around Williston, but by the time you get to New Town she sure does.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont matter. Walleyes never go any shallower than 8' anyways��

hahha. hmmm my chewed up crank/swim baits would disagree

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Labor day weekend the tailraice temps go from mid 50s and clear water, to low 60s and cloudy water

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Labor day weekend the tailraice temps go from mid 50s and clear water, to low 60s and cloudy water

ha ha... a pretty definitive alert system

- - - Updated - - -

how deep is the intake - and is it variable?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be true up around Williston, but by the time you get to New Town she sure does.
van Hook arm probably does but it's all going to depend on the amount of wind. It just doesn't behave like your run of the mill lake.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha... a pretty definitive alert system

- - - Updated - - -

how deep is the intake - and is it variable?

Maybe give or take a few days, but I've kept track the last ten years and that week is when she flips. I'd guess it's the colder night time temps that get it going.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
one other scenario would be for them to start taking in water from higher in the water column on purpose on a schedule (if that choice is available in the design of the intake)

I don't know if that's even an option with the intake design

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The intake to the dam's powerhouse, etc is not variable. A few years back when the lake was really low, the Corps had divers go down to put sheets of plywood over the lower part of the intake to help cut back on the amount of cold water that was being discharged. Obviously, this was being done to help prevent an excessive amount of smelt and cold water from leaving the system.

Never did hear how successful this effort turned out.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the top water is colder than bottom water turnover occurs.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
if whirlpools exist within the intake I could see that leading to questions about what depth the water is actually coming from too.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The intake to the dam's powerhouse, etc is not variable. A few years back when the lake was really low, the Corps had divers go down to put sheets of plywood over the lower part of the intake to help cut back on the amount of cold water that was being discharged. Obviously, this was being done to help prevent an excessive amount of smelt and cold water from leaving the system.

Never did hear how successful this effort turned out.
I bet that was a hell of a fun job trying to drag sheets of wood down near 100' lol. Could you imagine that. Unless they used some type of machine to push em down or something.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76