No trespass

Redneck1

Forgive me if this issue has been beat to death already, BUT if the No Trespass law is passed here in N.D. Couldn't the Game and Fish provide hunters with a landowner guide with all property owner information and phone numbers? Somewhat similar to the PLOTS guide but with more property owner information. It would take a little research on the part of the G & F to develop and prepare the guide, but it would be very helpful for hunters to have all of the landowner information, phone numbers, addresses, or even e-mail addresses, so we as responsible hunters could all contact the landowners to schedule permission and dates to hunt on the properties. Do you think this is reasonable? How do other states handle this issue?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can already buy the books for each county that has land owners and names I haven't looked in years but the probably have downloadable or maybe online b

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not possible with land changing hands quite often. Plat books are even out of date a few years after publication. They are an option but not always accurate. I think more counties are getting GIS data online so that should help in the future.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never used OnX maps but I was under the impression that app had most of that info. Anyone use it that has better knowledge than I.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It does. Or you can use earth mate. Or base map. Or Gaia map. There are a bunch of apps that do this

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hate to say it, but I think advertising open land would bring more lazy/ slob hunters around causing more land to become unavailable.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgive me if this issue has been beat to death already, BUT if the No Trespass law is passed here in N.D. Couldn't the Game and Fish provide hunters with a landowner guide with all property owner information and phone numbers? Somewhat similar to the PLOTS guide but with more property owner information. It would take a little research on the part of the G & F to develop and prepare the guide, but it would be very helpful for hunters to have all of the landowner information, phone numbers, addresses, or even e-mail addresses, so we as responsible hunters could all contact the landowners to schedule permission and dates to hunt on the properties. Do you think this is reasonable? How do other states handle this issue?

The stockmans association suggested this. Of course they want the money for creating and maintaining the database to come out of the G&F budget.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
If only we had a member that could shed some light on this....

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use onX and it does have landowner names and their tax address. I personally have yet to see a phone number on a parcel but there may be some out there... I live in stanley so when I'm out scouting new places to hunt it's usually pretty easy to find the land owners contact info..

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

Good Grief!! You want my F'n shoe size too?? Do I as a landowner get any privacy or do I give that up because I have land you want to hunt?? Think about what you're asking for for two seconds. Do you think putting landowners personal information on the internet or in a book is going to improve relations or weaken them? I DON'T want every dumbass with a shotgun/rifle to know my email address, my phone number, or any other of my personal information. Responsible hunters take the time to meet landowners, plan ahead for their sport, and build relationships with landowners. Just because I own land doesn't give you hunters the rights to anything. I swear, hunters are their own WORST ENEMY when it comes to landowner relations.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A no trespass law in ND would be the end of hunting as we know it now. ND doesn’t have the same amount of public land as many other states such as Montana and Wyoming. I would hate to see ND turn into a Texas where most private land is pay to play. The wildlife belongs to all of us and sportsmen will not forget at the ballot box if they are denied access to hunting. The less hunters participating in the sport will lead to less people advocating for the issues that are important to hunting and 2nd amendment rights.

I do not think landowner numbers should be required for public view. I don’t think landowners should be bombarded with calls if they don’t want to.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A no trespass law is an anti-hunting initiative to make it more difficult for folks to enjoy hunting, period, end of story. I, as a landowner, will actively campaign AGAINST a no trespass law in ND. There is NO upside to a no trespass law that I can see. It forces hunters to work harder to enjoy hunting and it forces landowners to deal with hunters when they don't want to as now they just leave their land unposted and everyone is happy. IMO, if you are a hunter, you would make an effort to ensure ND doesn't get a no trespass law as migrator man is correct. It will totally change the state of hunting in ND as we know it and provide a HUGE push toward the pay to play hunting scenario and that's a scary thought.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A no trespass law in ND would be the end of hunting as we know it now. ND doesn’t have the same amount of public land as many other states such as Montana and Wyoming. I would hate to see ND turn into a Texas where most private land is pay to play. The wildlife belongs to all of us and sportsmen will not forget at the ballot box if they are denied access to hunting. The less hunters participating in the sport will lead to less people advocating for the issues that are important to hunting and 2nd amendment rights.

I do not think landowner numbers should be required for public view. I don’t think landowners should be bombarded with calls if they don’t want to.

it didn’t do that in Sodak

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
The situation has changed in recent years. There are fewer and much larger farms. Some of them operating 20-30 miles from home. A lot of their land may be rented from out of state landowners. I know second hand from a couple of them that their phones ring constantly during hunting season and they don't even pick it up. If a trespass law were enacted they would be getting even more calls.

Just to walk a fencerow for roosters may need permission from 2 landowners. Imagine calling for permission just to walk a small slough that you saw a rooster fly into if the law were changed. The days of going out and looking for new ground to hunt will be sharply curtailed.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Grief!! You want my F'n shoe size too??I swear, hunters are their own WORST ENEMY when it comes to landowner relations.

You suck at being a spokesman for hunters. Try to show a little sportsmanship and discuss issues on a civil manner instead of sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming. I'll show a mean streak if someone stabs me in the back but go back and read the first post and point out the ass chewing material.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Grief!! You want my F'n shoe size too?? Do I as a landowner get any privacy or do I give that up because I have land you want to hunt?? Think about what you're asking for for two seconds. Do you think putting landowners personal information on the internet or in a book is going to improve relations or weaken them? I DON'T want every dumbass with a shotgun/rifle to know my email address, my phone number, or any other of my personal information. Responsible hunters take the time to meet landowners, plan ahead for their sport, and build relationships with landowners. Just because I own land doesn't give you hunters the rights to anything. I swear, hunters are their own WORST ENEMY when it comes to landowner relations.
I agree with most of what you said but the fact is a landowners information is public knowledge. Anyone can go to a court house or online records and find your information. Hell you can just fricking google someones name now days and find most of that stuff. It's not just hunters either. I think your rant is a little over board here.

- - - Updated - - -

A no trespass law is an anti-hunting initiative to make it more difficult for folks to enjoy hunting, period, end of story. I, as a landowner, will actively campaign AGAINST a no trespass law in ND. There is NO upside to a no trespass law that I can see. It forces hunters to work harder to enjoy hunting and it forces landowners to deal with hunters when they don't want to as now they just leave their land unposted and everyone is happy. IMO, if you are a hunter, you would make an effort to ensure ND doesn't get a no trespass law as migrator man is correct. It will totally change the state of hunting in ND as we know it and provide a HUGE push toward the pay to play hunting scenario and that's a scary thought.

Absolutely agree with everything in this post. :;:thumbsup

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the "no tresspass" law on the ballot again in Novemebr? or is this just a hypothetical.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62