Battery Storage

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyones routine for winter battery storage? My boat is in the garage and it rarely goes below freezing, so I water them up and leave them in the boat on the on-board charger.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pull them put them in the basement for the winter...but not for another 6 weeks!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sell my main boat every year so I don't have to worry. I also trade trucks when I get a crack in the windshield...

For my back-up boat I just tarp it well, provide the appropriate motor and fuel system treatments, top off batteries, and plug the chargers in 1x/month for a few days throughout the winter.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I charge mine up and disconnect everything. They stay in the boat in a non heated quonset. Never had an issue.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep...charge them disconnect them and leave in my unheated garage. No problems as of yet

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do the same as ndfinfan... in the basement and charge them a few times throughout the winter.

NDSportsmand and Twitch- I thought it was really hard on batteries to let them freeze? I also put them on a 2x6 because I heard putting them on concrete isn't good for them? This is what my dad always did, so I guess I just do what he did...probably overkill...?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do the same as ndfinfan... in the basement and charge them a few times throughout the winter.

NDSportsmand and Twitch- I thought it was really hard on batteries to let them freeze? I also put them on a 2x6 because I heard putting them on concrete isn't good for them? This is what my dad always did, so I guess I just do what he did...probably overkill...?

If they are charged up they won't freeze.
My Dad also said the same thing about putting a battery on concrete. We always set them on a 2x6 also.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

They won't freeze if charged. Yes don't put them on concrete, set on wood if you remove them.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If they are charged up they won't freeze.
My Dad also said the same thing about putting a battery on concrete. We always set them on a 2x6 also.

x2

Listen to your elders . . . they are trying to tell you something important. :)

Fully charge before putting away, remove and put inside (basement ?), don't put on the concrete floor.

May be overkill putting them inside. But why not?

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I don’t set them on the concrete I leave them in the boat

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey thanks for the tips and pointers guys! I keep my boat in an un insulated quonset over the winter (it freezes in there). So if I have my batteries fully charged I can leave them in my boat through the winter without adverse effects? Sure would be nice to not have to lug those things into the basement!

Thanks!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyones routine for winter battery storage? My boat is in the garage and it rarely goes below freezing, so I water them up and leave them in the boat on the on-board charger.

I do the same except my garage is detached and unheated so it definitely gets below freezing. Usually need to add a little water in the spring.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good advice to check the water level now and then if you leave them on the trickle all winter like I do. I check levels about once per month and you do notice a slight drop in the water levels. Somehow I always tend to get battery acid on my clothes....even when I'm careful...every damn time.

I was told that letting water levels drop down to the battery plates pretty much puts a battery on the road to death...or at least that particular cell.

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I have been going about this battery thing all wrong..I have always been anal on batteries..I have a 24volt setup with a new Minn Kota 2 Bank on board charger(love it btw)..But in the winter I would take it all apart and bring the batteries to the basement and throw them on a tender and then in the spring I would have to put everything back together....My boat is covered in the winter BUT outside..In my situation should I just leave it plugged in all winter and let the on board charger due its work? Do you at least maybe cover the batteries with a thick blanket at all(not the charger itself as that could get hot)?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a on board charger fail (more than one). Imo i wouldnt leave it plugged in as it could malfunction and cause issues more so than a battery that has been working good. IMO MO only If you use less than 5 year old batteries and they are charged - all you have to do is unhook em and you will be good.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
They won't freeze if charged. Yes don't put them on concrete, set on wood if you remove them.

This WAS an issue decades ago when batteries were not inside of the plastic carry cases of today. No longer will those issues happen on today's batteries.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never check the water because I'm gellin'.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I have been going about this battery thing all wrong..I have always been anal on batteries..I have a 24volt setup with a new Minn Kota 2 Bank on board charger(love it btw)..But in the winter I would take it all apart and bring the batteries to the basement and throw them on a tender and then in the spring I would have to put everything back together....My boat is covered in the winter BUT outside..In my situation should I just leave it plugged in all winter and let the on board charger due its work? Do you at least maybe cover the batteries with a thick blanket at all(not the charger itself as that could get hot)?

a charged battery can't freeze.

unhooking the wiring removes the ability of parasitic loss to sap your charge

a charged battery, disconnected from all wiring, is fine right where it is

blankets/insulation only accomplish heat loss prevention - a battery that's not being charged doesn't put out any heat - so there's no purpose to blanketing or insulating them (in a vehicle it can prevent short term cooling for the starting battery... but not months and months worth of cold in a boat)

just make sure it has water, charge it, then disconnect it so it doesn't lose charge over winter to parasitic loss (wiring, microprocessors, etc.)

- - - Updated - - -

Many older battery chargers charge too high (V) and thus they slowly "boil water" (not really - it's separating the hydrogen and oxygen of the h20)

so leaving them charging all winter results in excessive water loss

battery backup sump pumps do this - they'll fry batteries in short order if you don't babysit the water (i.e. they really suck)

by not charging all winter (or using modern really smart chargers) you don't have to worry about the water loss

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad always told me to never set a battery on concrete. Lots of what he told me is undeniably true. But he never could explain to me why..

Also told me to keep other batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9volt) in the freezer. I'm def gonna call BS on that one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75