Breathable waders-HELP

GSP22366

My waders have seen the end, and I am looking for comfortable dry roomie waders. Thought I was ready to order before I read the lousy reviews on my selected brand. Expensive and still leak? I like the sound of breathable for flexibility and comfort. Any suggestions?

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im looking for new waders myself. But almost shit my pants when i googled Sitka waders. $900!? Damn.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought breathables from Cabelas about 5 years ago. I do like them and actually bought a replacement pair recently as the first pair started to leak in the neoprene foot area. $120

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My breathable waders finally shit the bed too with two large holes in the boot. Had them for about 10years so go my moneys worth. They were Hodgman waders. I have been looking but can’t seem to find any with good reviews. Let me know what you go with

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im looking for new waders myself. But almost shit my pants when i googled Sitka waders. $900!? Damn.
The Stika name alone is worth a few hundred:confused:, Seriously though i don't know what could possibly make a Sitka wader worth $900 when the Simms are $550. They are both 4 layer gore-tex and Simms has been doing waders forever.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Stika name alone is worth a few hundred:confused:, Seriously though i don't know what could possibly make a Sitka wader worth $900 when the Simms are $550. They are both 4 layer gore-tex and Simms has been doing waders forever.
The Simms camo waders are $800 so I guess that’s a more fair comparison. I hear the cost to retailers for Sitka waders is $300 so they have quite a mark up!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Simms camo waders are $800 so I guess that’s a more fair comparison. I hear the cost to retailers for Sitka waders is $300 so they have quite a mark up!
I guess i was comparing the stocking foot, your right the boot foot Simms are $800. Still id buy the stocking foot Simms and a pair of Korkers boots with interchangeable soles. Way more versatile and still cheaper than the Sitka.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a pair of Caddis breathable boot foot waders from Cabelas this summer and like them a lot. $250

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Simms all the way. I hunt and fish in mine close to if not more than 100 days a year and they've stood up to everything I've thrown at them. Pay no attention to the Sitka kool-aid stand proprietor

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Simms all the way.

I have a pair of Headwaters that I have BEAT UP for about 50 days a year for going on 7 years. I had a pin hole leak that I felt that was starting this spring and I dropped them off in Bozeman on a trip, and 10 days later they sent me back my waders completely cleaned, all the seams re-taped and a few other pin holes/wears in the gore-tex were fixed. All for no charge, not even shipping. And they are performing like new again.
I was hoping they'd tell me the were shot so I could upgrade to a new pair of G3's but no such luck. For now, I'll keep on beating the crap out of these.

That said, the only other wader I would even remotely consider would be the Patagonia Rio Gallegos.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitka donates to 2% for conservation so I like conservation and the gear has never let me down

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Sitka donates to 2% for conservation so I like conservation and the gear has never let me down

Are you recommending sitka waders just based on the brand name or have you worn / tested them?

I own alot of Sitka stuff and its all great and I'm happy to pay a premium for quality, but their waders are simply unproven and nothing special IMO... and sorry, but they are overpriced.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Simms all the way.

I have a pair of Headwaters that I have BEAT UP for about 50 days a year for going on 7 years. I had a pin hole leak that I felt that was starting this spring and I dropped them off in Bozeman on a trip, and 10 days later they sent me back my waders completely cleaned, all the seams re-taped and a few other pin holes/wears in the gore-tex were fixed. All for no charge, not even shipping. And they are performing like new again.
I was hoping they'd tell me the were shot so I could upgrade to a new pair of G3's but no such luck. For now, I'll keep on beating the crap out of these.

That said, the only other wader I would even remotely consider would be the Patagonia Rio Gallegos.
I have the Rio Gallegos because i got the last model on sale for 50%. I do like the convertible suspenders vs the Simms. I have only put about 20 days in them so i cant say to much for durability at this point although i have beat some pretty serious brush with them. If i was paying full price i would go Simms though.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you recommending sitka waders just based on the brand name or have you worn / tested them?

I own alot of Sitka stuff and its all great and I'm happy to pay a premium for quality, but their waders are simply unproven and nothing special IMO... and sorry, but they are overpriced.
This is what I was trying to say in my usual tactless and unhelpful way. Also Simms is a conservation partner with at least 12 groups that I can think of off the top of my head if that's what turns your crank

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

got some friends who had tested and prototype 4 years worth of testing durability and features are there. Just stirring the pot people get pushed when people buy shit that is expensive for some reason

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Simms are obviously great but well out of my price range. I can't speak to the quality of Sitka waders because everything with that logo on it is also well out of my price range.

I purchased a pair of Redington Sonic Pro waders from sierra trading post 3 seasons ago. Its safe to say I have well over 200 days in them from fishing to float hunting. That includes about half of them days getting in and out of a raft. I have had no problems. The fit is great as well as the storage. If you can get $1 per wear out of your waders, I think you got your money worth (a $200 set of waders should make it 200 days). So if these things shred tomorrow, I would go back and buy another pair with a smile on my face.

Again, no argument that Simms are the best out there if you can afford them. But most can't justify it. If that's the case, I would suggest taking a look at the Redington Sonic Pro for 1/3 the price. If 2% for conservation is you big hold out; I recommend saving yourself $400 and you can afford to donate 10% of your savings to conservation program of your choice and now everyone is a winner.....

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last I checked, everyone gets a free pair of breathable waders when they are born...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74