Deer Blind Building

andyb15

Established Member
I'm starting to build a deer tower to replace on that had a tree fall on it. What do you guys use for the exterior? I was going to use 1/2 inch plywood and then paint it, but i'm thinking i might be better off just buying treated 1/2 inch plywood and then I wouldn't have to paint it and price would probably be comparable since i won't have to buy paint.

I also need to know what to do for the roof. plywood and then just shingle over it??? any easier/more economical options?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If using treated plywood you should still paint to water proof it.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the roof, I would use plywood and then put rubber over it instead of shingles.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Consider tin for you roof over top of your treated. And if you do, you could use regular plywood for your roof since it wont be exposed to the elements, might save a few dollars depending on how big it is. Are you using the existing frame? If so, how big is it? Treated gets heavy, and putting that on top of a tripod might get a little top end heavy. No expert by any means, just thinking out loud.

Nelly

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find used insulated garage doors and cut to fit. Use metal sheeting or rubber for the roof over the top of garage door pieces to keep water out. Takes a little work, but will keep you warm and is rigid. Caulk the seems and paint if wanted.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spend a bit more and use treated ply.
No need to paint. Use MUD!, Real gooey mud.
Rub it in. Lasts for years and has a natural camo no paint can match ( really),. Been doing it for years.

7mmshooter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can buy rubber roofing at menards in different size rolls. Not real cheap but works great may have to order it though.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have you considered some of the pre-buit blinds? I've used a few and find them very comfortable and not terribly expensive when you consider the cost of building your own. I will say I wish I could find one that was more designed for 2. When you need a blind for 2 (beginning hunters) most are a little smaller than I would like.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you considered some of the pre-buit blinds? I've used a few and find them very comfortable and not terribly expensive when you consider the cost of building your own. I will say I wish I could find one that was more designed for 2. When you need a blind for 2 (beginning hunters) most are a little smaller than I would like.

They suck balls for bow hunting. I've built a dozen 6x6 deer blinds and put them all on top of stands made from treated 4x4s . I use treated everything and tin the roof . I design mine for archery .

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought my second 6x6 shadow Hunter. I really like them and they aren't that expensive when on sale. One I got for 1300. Aluminum siding and roof, insulated with carpeted floor and lots of windows. IMG_20180928_000744.jpg

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're close to Fargo someone there has 6 sheets of treated 3/4'' for give away. Saw the ad on FB

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be on that like a hobo on a ham sandwich if I was in Fargo . Pm for details if you can't find the ad, I won't put the guys name out there. It was posted late last night.

FREE - Fargo, ND
I have 6 sheets of green treated used plywood to give away. 4 sheets in good condition and 2 that could be cut to 4x6. Also have 8 good condition 2x4x12 green with some nails still in them. All FREE. Plywood and studs are already to go.

andyb15

Established Member
I messaged the guy about the plywood. It would be great if that worked out.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built my 8x8 this year with green treated 2x6 floor joists and 3/4” plywood. I then used 7/16 OSB sheeting for the walls and roof with 2x4 wall studs. then tin over everything. Would have been cheaper to buy one. This will almost exclusively be used for rifle hunting and be on 4x6” skids for the time being.

andyb15

Established Member
I messaged the guy about the plywood. It would be great if that worked out.

not suprised but it was gone.

this blind will exclusively be used for rifle hunting where it sits. It will be 4X8 and I have a 3 year old that will be going out with me this year, so trying to make it comfortable for him.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought my second 6x6 shadow Hunter. I really like them and they aren't that expensive when on sale. One I got for 1300. Aluminum siding and roof, insulated with carpeted floor and lots of windows.melaniefriedel_64566760_881721288860000_3259454658364061422_n.jpg

Are you elevating these or leaving them on the ground?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any body made a small mobile blind from wood? I'm interested in making a small (4'x4') blind a guy could move to different locations easily yet be warmer and more durable in windier conditions then a popup ground blind.

Founding Member
Founding Member
First ones on the ground.
This new one I put on an old 8x8 snowmobile trailer I picked up for $125. This way I can move it around to wherever I want. Plan to buy a pair of skis for the trailer tires as well. With these enclosed blinds and an ozonics you can hunt in any wind. Last night I had numerous bucks and does directly down wind of me and not one detected me.

andyb15

Established Member
do you guys suggest using liquid nails when attaching the plywood? i was just thinking that would make it extra sturdy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66