Your best fish on conscutive casts...?

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I came back to North Dakota for a wedding this weekend, and decided to take an extra day for some fall fishing on the Red for saugers and walleye. It was 40 degrees and sleeting a little and the fish were biting great, go figure. Anyway, I'm catching cat after cat casting jigs instead of the walleye I'm after. Cats on jig rods in current are fun but 10 to 15 pounders take it out of you after a while, ya know? So I started just reefing em in, not caring too much if the got off, and what you you know the next one I'm yanking away on turns into a 25" walleye! That was my third biggest all time. I pucker up but get him in feeling all proud of myself, thinking "Man, I got lucky on that one!" The big minnow still looks okay so I huck him out again and WHAM, he gets smashed a second time. Nother big cat i figured since he was really pulling, Nope wrong again, this one is a 28.5 " 8.75 lb walleye! New personal best. Had to beach em both since i was fishing by myself which made me rather nervous to say the least since I lost quite a few including two smaller eyes' earlier. I was pretty enthused when i cast out the third time, but alas I had used up all that minnows luck.
Anyways this got me wondering if anybody else has managed that nice of fish on consecutive casts before? I know I have never came close and probably never will again.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Cloverleaf in your pocket? haha
Just kidding, well done.

I have caught my limit of eaters on 5 consecutive casts. That is about my best run along those lines.

Or catching pike early in the year cast after cast.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
when the river was really good spring of '12 south of Bismarck I caught back to back 7lb walleyes.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In Canada (NE Ontario) back in the 80's we did a flyin and we hit the walleye feed just right.
One evening I caught a walleye on each of 10 consecutive casts -- small jig tipped with a minnow.
(Not the same walleye .. ha.) They weren't monsters -- around 16-18" fish.

It was hard to go fishing after we got back, knowing you would be happy to catch even a couple of walleyes in a single outing.

Founding Member
Founding Member
#$%^&> :;:cheers

Last edited:

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught an 80lb paddle fish on the 5th cast on catch and release day then spent 2 more days casting for nothing... is that what your talking about?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I did have a 1 hour stretch on Winnipeg last winter where I caught a 25", a 27", a 28", a 31", and a 28".
That was fun.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
About two weeks ago I set a cat line and a guy stuck a 22 pounder on a frog. I threw the same frog right back to the same spot and his kid pulled up a 23 about five minutes later.

Brasmunky

Established Member
First 2 walleye and first 2 fish in the state of ND. 28.5” on a rattle trap, netted that and looked up to see my bobber on my second rod was down.....30.5”.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last fall caught 4 eyes over 20" in four casts, and a few casts later caught number 5. Fills up the stringer in a hurry. I was laughing, as I walked back to shore to unhook and put ANOTHER on the stringer.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't recall anything real impressive. But I can recall a bunch of times where, in the first few casts of the day, I caught one or two really nice fish and thought "here we go.... going to be an awesome day".

Only to have those be the last fish that bit that day.

Maddeningly frequent event for me. ;:;banghead

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tailrace 2012ish, caught back to back 30+ inch walleyes on a 1/2 oz white jighead with a 4.5 inch white saltwater assassin paddletail. Best night of BIG walleye fishing I've ever had. Landed 6 over 30, numerous high 20's with the runt of the night being a fat 24 incher. When daylight came, I just sat down on the rocks and marveled at what had just transpired.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
My best was last summer. Caught a 28" and as my buddy was taking a picture my other rod in the holder bent in half and I pulled up a 27.5"!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have casted out to get a snag and break off a $10 crankbait, tie on another $10 crankbait cast out and have it happen again,,proble my personal best

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have casted out to get a snag and break off a $10 crankbait, tie on another $10 crankbait cast out and have it happen again,,proble my personal best

I feel your pain.

To set Karma right though, in the larger picture, couple falls ago I retrieved a branch that was festooned with #11 and #13 original floaters.
Not enough to replace all the lost lures in my life, but it was a good night anyhow....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
pics or it didn't happen

- - - Updated - - -

also - "festooned" is drastically underutilized

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
pics or it didn't happen

This branch had taken a couple of mine, and many more belonging to others. It was barely visible in the current, and too far out to reach wearing waders. I used an aluminum telescoping pole, to which I had riveted a couple paddlefishing treble hooks.

It took me a while, and I was somewhat wet by the time I was done, but I got it, by God.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
9k=

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109